Synthetic Transmission Fluid

SuiteSuccess

Recently had my transmission fluid changed and flushed. Took 28 pints to refill but I paid for 5 gallon jug. Shop gave me the extra two gallons. Question:  Will storing it in my truck (heat) degrade it and how long could I keep it there before getting rid of it?  At near $60 a gallon don’t want to just dispose. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Question: How bad are the leaks on your truck, to warrant carrying around 2/3rds of a fluid change? 

Just being smart, but keep an eye on weight creep. As far as the fluid, heat of storage shouldn't be high enough to hurt anything. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

In use, that tranny fluid would get a LOT hotter than it ever would just sitting in its' contained inside your truck. I'd expect its' "shelf life" would be counted in years so, that shouldn't be a worry. Just for space, I'd look for the smallest clean container suitable to store the leftover fluid.

Thanks. Point taken John. That was my plan. Five gallon bucket takes up lot of room. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, jkoenig24 said:

Just for space, I'd look for the smallest clean container suitable to store the leftover fluid.

Perhaps I'm a bit anal, (Okay, maybe a LOT), but I always keep liquids in their original container.  Having a piece of masking tape come of or otherwise being confused about what EXACTLY in there can get way more expensive than a couple gallons of oil.  If you don't want to store the 5 gallon bucket, find someone who can utilize it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Was thinking that Rick. Don’t want to throw away $120 worth of fluid. 

DesertMiner, it’s Mobile 1 Delvac 50 wt SAE. Synthetic. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived