St. George Utah

Vegas Teacher

Well the wife has informed me she would like to go for short ride up to St. George on Sunday. St. George is about 100 miles north of Las Vegas on I - 15. There is not much to do there, but it is a nice short trip. It will be good for the fluids in the truck and to get a few miles under my feet. There is a small bit of mountains to go through, just north of Mesquite, but I think I can handle it. There aren't any sharp turns. My brakes are new and they should be in good shape. My Jake Brake works and all should be fine. I have nothing on my truck that makes it even close to being commercial any more. I have not put Private Truck / R.V. not for hire on it yet but I bought 6 inch tall black letters to do so. I will do that this weekend before we go out on the open road. I have enough to do that one both doors and across the back of my cab. Should I do it across the back of the cab near the top, so if anybody D.O.C. or other law enforcement is following me they will see it before they pull up to me or along side of me. The commercial 5th wheel is gone, and all of my glad hands and air lines are capped off. Somebody told me to look into putting an attachment on them to use pneumatic tools, I really like that idea. I would love to know how to do that.

Now I just need to get it wired for lights and brakes then all will be good.

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana 

You really don't LEGALLY need to put anything on the side or back of your truck. If any LEO stops you they re going to run the plate to see who it is registered to and they will also get a description such as "It comes back to a 2010 Volvo Motorhome registered to Cory Ossana with an expiration of 10/18" or something similar. I would just keep my paperwork close by and within easy reach and have fun!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

ditto mntom.

If it makes you more comfortable to put something on the truck like "private RV" or some such, by all means do it.  It is not required but it does not hurt anything either.  I would definitely advise against using the phrase "not for hire" as that is specific language used by the dot to describe a commercial truck that only hauls goods owned by the company that owns the truck (a private carrier).  As big5ver has pointed out, Pepsico is also "not for hire", but certainly commercial.  And keep it tasteful.  I has been my observation (and I am sure many leo's as well) that the guys with the biggest "not for hire" stickers were usually the biggest cheaters.

If you are driving north from Las Vegas you will be crossing into AZ just after Mesquite going thru the Virgin River gap and then enter UT to get to St George. Beautiful drive in daylight. LEO from 3 different states each with different state laws but most very similar to each other. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Cory,

Only sign on the Trolley is.....NO SMOKING.....we have worn groves in every paved road in Nevada and AZ and much of UT and so far never had a peep from any LEO.....

Most trips the Trolley looks like a orphan from a C-grade carny with plenty of dust and bug smears from too many miles of back country roads leading to and from the horse trail camps where Dollymomma and Dolly-the-paint-horse go hiking.....

I hate to say that big5er is right but.....after a zillion miles without the PVT RV signs we have had no stops.....Phil contends that some LEO may in fact stop rigs with the RV signs since some rigs often appear to be driving to or from commercial or contest events and use the RV signs to mask questionable commercial activity.

Trolley used to have RV signs on the fairings but when the fairings were repainted I was too busy to ever put new signs on......

In the "Internet-Age" the LEO knows more about you when he pulls you over than you know about you......

Drive on.......(who reads the signs.....?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dollytrolley

Do you stop at scales that say "All livestock"?  When I am hauling our horses I stop at the scales that say "all Livestock".  I was chased down in Idaho and got a 15 minute lecture on my reading and comprehension skills. So since then If the scale sign says "All Livestock" I pull in and roll over the scale. Only once [in Idaho] have we ever been called in and only to see to see the horse papers, not the truck papers. Normally we just pass through and on our way. Not having a front licence plate also helps with the confusion as we are just registered as a normal truck and their plate readers cannot see who or what we are.

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Hay Draft,

Much of our hillbilly back road trips seldom have scales and if we happen upon scales they are seldom open so we have skipped the scale / livestock gig mostly.......however we have some "history" with fruit inspection stations in Kalifornia with Dolly almost having to get out and trot from four corners just West of Parker Az to Searchlight NV....we had the Dolly papers but her stunning color pattern was being questioned by the newbee fruit inspector when he was confused by the Vet color map of Dolly's left and side....

Finally another inspector got into the act and ask what my plan would be if they refused entry......I smiled and said well I guess I would back to the AZ line and lower the ramp and Dollymomma would saddle up Dolly and then just ride cross the desert to Searchlight and then I would lower the ramp and load Dolly and off we go again......you know no inspection is needed horseback.....the inspectors smiled and said you gotta be kidding do you know how far it is to Searchlight from here.....I said "yep...a days ride .....how do you guys think folks got from here to Searchlight before cars and trucks?" The sr inspector handed Dolly's papers back and said good day have a safe trip......

These days they never ask for the horse papers at the inspection stations since they never ask if we have a horse in our toyhauler....and if they don't ask I don't tell......

Sometimes if we have been hauling Dolly for six hours or so we will stop and lower the ramp and give her a drink from a bucket of water......but not at Walmart....If we lower the ramp at Walmart everyone wants to pet Dolly and some folks run in and buy carrots to feed her.......I want to charge $5 to have pet Dolly but then Dollymomma just frowns and says ....."stable boy just go fetch another bucket of water".....I get no respect ( and no $5).

Draft you might try the horse module in the toyhauler gig.......it's the best way I have found to smuggle a horse so far.....

One day we stopped to visit a friend at a RV park on the edge of Yuma and we got Dolly out and was walking her around in the desert behind the park and the manager came ripping out and yelled "we don't allow horses in our park"  I motioned him closer and said "hey buddy this ain't a horse it's a member of the family and if you want to try yelling at someone go over and yell at that lady over there but first let me show you my scars " ...... About that time about 30 ladies from the park walked out and started petting Dolly and I said "you might get back in your golf cart and slink out of here before the ladies give you some scars......we'll be loading up soon and will be out your hair"

In about half Century of hauling horses around the Western U S we have met a lot of nice folks and a few ......horses a$$e$ (pun intended)......

The stunning paint horse gig is a hoot in that non-horse folks seem drawn to a horse with a "flashy-paint-job" ......

So.......IF....... I start my $5 pet Dolly scam does that Big5er can give me a ticket for no DOT number? .......I have a crate of logbooks from flying gigs but not sure if I have enough Dr Pepper onboard to pass "inspection".....

Draft ......to answer your question about livestock Dollymomma says the only livestock we travel with is me........

Drive on........($5 to pet Dolly-the-paint-horse.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Should have asked the fruit inspector what kind of apple or orange Dolly was.

I still think you should write a book about your adventures. 

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Soo,

The Dolly driver is a "horse smuggler, driving around in a toyhauler/clandestine horse trailer.     There has to be some rule somewhere USDA, SPCA, DOT, USCG, USPS, FAA, ICAO, IMO, UN, ICC, UL, SAE, somewhere there is a rule you are a bending pretty hard mister.     Are you prepared to face an angry mob of dressage riders or get hornswaggled  by a rodeo clown.     

You really need a mule to go along with Dolly so you can ride as Sancho.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Shallow Draft said:

Should have asked the fruit inspector what kind of apple or orange Dolly was.

I still think you should write a book about your adventures. 

Draft,

Several of the .....the.....uhhh...."folks" that I used to ......"re-position" have been "mentioned" or have been subjects in some books so many of the "subjects" that would maybe make up a book have far better covered by much more "interesting" folks than me....

At best or worst I was just a small bit player and mostly the "Big-Dogs" flew off into the sunset with the knockout blonde......

I am at my best these days with a manure fork in my hand.....

Drive on .......(where is my fork....?)

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Soo,

The Dolly driver is a "horse smuggler, driving around in a toyhauler/clandestine horse trailer.     There has to be some rule somewhere USDA, SPCA, DOT, USCG, USPS, FAA, ICAO, IMO, UN, ICC, UL, SAE, somewhere there is a rule you are a bending pretty hard mister.     Are you prepared to face an angry mob of dressage riders or get hornswaggled  by a rodeo clown.     

You really need a mule to go along with Dolly so you can ride as Sancho.

Steve

Steve,

For some time I have tried to lobby the large-critter-manager (Dollymomma) about getting a mule....,...

RESPONSE: not nice.....she mutters...." Oh ya just what I need one Smart-A$$ and one Not-So-Smart-A$$ in the Dollytrolley......."

Been afraid to ask which I am.......

As far as getting in trouble with the Dolly-the-paint-horse smuggling gig I have no worries ...... I just hop on Dolly and gallop away....no one can catch me when people see me on a horse the fall to the ground and wet themselves giggling....,.

Drive on......(giddyup.......)

20 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

..I want to charge $5 to have pet Dolly but then Dollymomma just frowns and says ....."stable boy just go fetch another bucket of water"....

Funny story, but we beat you to the punch.  When we sell at our hot rod shows we take our little yellow lab Sadie, who has literally been going to shows with us since the day we got her, and just lies peacefully in the grass at the front of the booth where passersby can stop and pet her.  She's a sucker for that.  Or the passersby are the suckers.  But either way they both like it.  At one particularly slow event we were all leaning around making not much money, and somebody cracked a joke that we should charge a dollar to pet the dog and we'd double our profits for the weekend.  Well, you know how the story goes from there.  Pretty soon there was a cup duct taped to the tent pole over where the dog lays, with one of her chewed up old balls and a sign that said:  "pet the dog, only $1.  (she's saving up for a new ball)".  One guy laughed so hard he said it was worth the dollar just for the laugh.  The dog earned about ten bucks by the end of the day, and she got a new ball.

Archived