Weigh Station video

Star Dreamer

Hopefully this link will work.

I thought this was an interesting video on how a Florida weigh Station works and what items they can measure while you are in motion and why the 45mph and 100' spacing is important.

Of course most of us should not need to stop but in case rules change it is good to know.

Looks like they would easily pick up the over width smart car.

A friend of ours has their truck (Red Custom Freightliner with Troy Huddleston on the door) in the video and that was how we found out about it. 

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

It's surprising how a lot of truckers complain about how 'un-fairly'  they were treated at a weigh station when they are the ones with the attitude. I have been caught overweight a few times and only got a citation once. I got caught over hours due to me transposing two number in the log book recap and didn't get cited for that either. Attitude makes a world of difference with any LEO! Just ask Big Fiver!

VisitedStatesMap.gif

GREAT information! Thanks for posting it. States are broke and looking for ways to bring in revenue. I can see the day where RVs will be targeted. I have already seen signs directing vehicles (any/all vehicles) over a particular weight (say 10,000# GVW which many RVs would be over) to pull into that weigh station. It's good to know in advance, that ALL the vehicles dimensions can be quickly and accurately checked. I don't believe RVs have been gone after yet but, I can see that happening in the future; especially now that RV sales are again booming. With all of the new, inexperienced RV drivers on the road, an uptick in serious accidents involving RVs could be the catalyst that "tips the scale" (pun intended) in mandating that RVs stop and get checked at weigh stations. Makes me happy that, driving a Super-C, I know I'm well below my 33,000# GVWR (thanks, Trey & Susan!).

As the technology advances, license plate readers, infra red detectors looking a wheel ends for too much or not enough heat( brake effectiveness), scales embedded in the travel lanes, reading the chip in your scalp to see if you are paying attention( just kidding). I fully expect more and more cameras and other equipment to detect other driving behaviors deemed inferior, for all vehicles, not just trucks or maybe other large vehicles. All getting ready for Otto the robot to take over. 

Florida pulled me in one time with a 40' container mounted generator and determined that I was 6" short of the mandatory 41' kingpin to back axle minimum( bridge law). Sliding the 5th wheel solved the problem. Picky

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

10 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

GREAT information! Thanks for posting it. States are broke and looking for ways to bring in revenue. I can see the day where RVs will be targeted. I have already seen signs directing vehicles (any/all vehicles) over a particular weight (say 10,000# GVW which many RVs would be over) to pull into that weigh station. It's good to know in advance, that ALL the vehicles dimensions can be quickly and accurately checked. I don't believe RVs have been gone after yet but, I can see that happening in the future; especially now that RV sales are again booming. With all of the new, inexperienced RV drivers on the road, an uptick in serious accidents involving RVs could be the catalyst that "tips the scale" (pun intended) in mandating that RVs stop and get checked at weigh stations. Makes me happy that, driving a Super-C, I know I'm well below my 33,000# GVWR (thanks, Trey & Susan!).

Crossing from ND into SD on I-29 there is a weigh/inspection station that has 
"All vehicles over 10000lbs must enter"  We have pulled in 3 times, both with and without our RV attached to our Volvo.  They wave us out like we are lost and are slowing their real work....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 8/23/2017 at 8:12 PM, Mntom said:

It's surprising how a lot of truckers complain about how 'un-fairly'  they were treated at a weigh station when they are the ones with the attitude. I have been caught overweight a few times and only got a citation once. I got caught over hours due to me transposing two number in the log book recap and didn't get cited for that either. Attitude makes a world of difference with any LEO! Just ask Big Fiver!

I agree most times I got away with a verbal warning only. And 99% of the time they were nice as can be. I did have one in Ms with a chip on his shoulder, and one in CT. The one in MS lost his job over that deal. This Sargent heard him, and told me if I wanted to. He would be glad to step outside, let me have a few minutes with him. I thought it was a setup. Or may have though the kid a lesson.

One in CT was trying to write me up for hauling product. When I did not have the rights to haul them. That was in the early 80's. We hauled our own products. But the company had 5 names. All were on the bills. He was telling me I was going to jail. If I did not sign the tickets. His Sargent also told him he was full of crap. And that he had better not pull that again.

Pete

event.png

Archived