deck weight, too heavy?

lockmup68

3ufIA0Wl.jpg

DW was driving the Escape ahead of me to run some errands, meet up with cousins, etc. Didn't feel like hanging the bike on the rack. Think the MacsTieDowns straps are good enough? :)

Looking at the temperatures back home in TN, we are loving the Canadian Rockies.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Mup68'$,

SEVERAL "issues" might come into play here.....

First .....you will need to pee in the cup because as WE all know those "bikers' tend to big time drug doppers....Is your cousin Lance Arm-something ??

Next....I ran several weight and balances with various types of bike configurations and it's best that I do not post in public here in the forum so.....I just emailed the entire spreadsheet to big5er as evidence and likely to issue a out-of-$ervice-ticket but he might allow you to unload the bike and ride it to the DOT court for your sentincing.....as far as "fines" big5er has way too many toasters and microwave$ so best to just go with the old standby of leaving few cases of Dr Pepper and a couple jugs of Crown Royal in the back of his DOT rickshaw.....

Final detail on the drug issue .....is your Hazmat paperwork current??

OK for the rest of you lily-white innocent geeks here on the forum.....see how easy it is to get wrapped a round the tandems with ......weighty issues and lose your .....balance.....

Drive on......(truckers tend to make bad bikers.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Before getting our 5'er we were using the HDT as a motorhome on occasion. Needless to say, it looked a little like "overkill" with the bike rack on the back. The first time out I noticed a flash in the mirror & then another.  Seems like someone decided he needed a couple of pictures of my "under loaded" semi tractor.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

3 hours ago, J-T said:

Up here in Canada bikes not being transported in a pick up box or on a rack need to be secured with the back wheel forward to prevent roll away............. :)

jt.....thanks for that gem of knowledge.....that explains why I always felt somewhat safer up in the North country.......your so correct since I recall very few close calls of forward traveling runaway bikes and only a couple of reverse runaway bikes......

Drive on....(maybe better to just ride the bike....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

11 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

3ufIA0Wl.jpg

DW was driving the Escape ahead of me to run some errands, meet up with cousins, etc. Didn't feel like hanging the bike on the rack. Think the MacsTieDowns straps are good enough? :)

Looking at the temperatures back home in TN, we are loving the Canadian Rockies.

Going to be freezing here in West Tn starting Friday evening. Down near 60, man we may have to turn the AC off HEHEH

That bike is overloading the straps for sure.

event.png

Reminds me of the Keys-  with the Topkick being the daily driver, we'd just toss the kayak on the deck to take it to launches in various places in the area.  The liveaboards hanging around always had to get a chuckle and ask if we were sure we had enough truck for that boat...

Not mine....Larry at the 2016 National Rally.  A "classic".  I've been looking for a model smart since then....

kFMOTjl6_qF8M3qDrL1TFXeTGbuZh92KPpUq-K9K7CwTg3dATt9y4Sz1R3R5RYDvnQ_jPLL77kuBzR-MhTYZGWJUQICXTV0PvvUYVGsk2Qw8rKPFIzk-y0SpXv-DQpRPEQ4_RyA4VPcWxNVGLL8Zx7E34QCJye6KlCS4xLb7osPu1YI8hdzOTswRS65DEpi30Xdx7lE7x-0KeJIJurzX_ijtqrPClhujbPg6m4LYHLIstNzWJKlTNjRSvldfO-w--YvoII_xPqAA454vn2U1q_4f-nI1hE5gwkgpZr7W7YCfV1OnT7qsjSREmXGnn6_LRC3L9OELf1jJ0tRRfbjZo1c-2EU2-zE-6MCLwB7q33aE2EDvmnTrrhbIkiTnM-v_8slJT3Duelg8Ew_w36SmUSKiPh8LH0Ij_Vc4NCapi--dgsE7v2rkClezdSW96fqhpTcG62gY6kQAE_pows2l-biI5EwZDf_dWmzfRJry1imV8_E3DR3v3iBH4YGDSrbeqsJYq5_x7k0XNQVy1WmK0Q1pyYpCwJ1u1rbu5WwE0FRhe0pzhz-GlFPOuMbeaDQStlqrRjKc3ANXO7PCEbg-iJ-Tkut-PHiyYEGFZXb3MnD2biSbo4mQop0mFA=w1634-h919-no

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

This was near the ice fields between Jasper and Banff. Was nice and balmy high of 65. low of 38. 

BTW, truma water heater, water temp of 51 degrees, hot water solid 115 out of the hot side. :)

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On 7/26/2017 at 8:21 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I don't know but I think the PSI of those tires pushing down in such a small area might be causing some issues.... :D

Might need DollyTrolley to run some numbers for you just to be sure!

Don't forget the tie-down straps...relative to the bicycle, the straps have enough weight to warrant being a second line item.

Heck, the weight of that bicycle is on par with three gallons of fuel.

Archived