Never do a 90 degree angle

Wrknrvr

14 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

The more I look into it, the more horrified I become, I can't believe that this garbage http://scholar.oxy.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1075&context=ctsj is used as an undergraduate "study material". Four years of that and whatever you accomplished as a parent goes out the window and what comes back is not your child but a flake ready for your couch and a career at the local Starbucks.

Youse is to mean to Accidental collage.  I's an graduate of the scool and my degree in musik (I majored in Air Guitar.) I resemble those slurps.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

15 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

The more I look into it, the more horrified I become, I can't believe that this garbage http://scholar.oxy.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1075&context=ctsj is used as an undergraduate "study material". Four years of that and whatever you accomplished as a parent goes out the window and what comes back is not your child but a flake ready for your couch and a career at the local Starbucks.

On 7/22/2017 at 0:25 PM, phoenix2013 said:

Had to be a "snowflake" did you send him to the "safe room" with play-dough, milk and cookies. At least you were trying to teach him something useful, like electronics

I just read how our institutions of higher learning "enlighten" the current crop of snowflakes.

University of Pennsylvania - English: Wasting time on the Internet          Annual cost to learn this garbage $66,800

Brown University - English: On being bored                                            They are running a bargain at $65,380 per year

This one takes a cake:

Occidental College, Critical Theory & Social Justice: Stupidity. “Stupidity is neither ignorance nor organicity, but rather, a corollary of knowing and an element of normalcy, the double of intelligence rather than its opposite. It is an artifact of our nature as finite beings and one of the most powerful determinants of human destiny. Stupidity is always the name of the Other, and it is the sign of the feminine. This course in Critical Psychology follows the work of Friedrich Nietzsche, Gilles Deleuze, and most recently, Avital Ronell, in a philosophical examination of those operations and technologies that we conduct in order to render ourselves uncomprehending. Stupidity, which has been evicted from the philosophical premises and dumbed down by psychometric psychology, has returned in the postmodern discourse against Nation, Self, and Truth and makes itself felt in political life ranging from the presidency to Beavis and Butthead.” Total cost for a year at Occidental: $63,194.

I would venture that only a Dept Heads and fully tenured professors, are qualified to lead a student body in exploring and explaining the depth and importance of the above subject and human condition.

On edit

I was fascinated and wanted to make sure I didn't spread fake news so I looked up the credentials of the distinguished professor running the course on Stupidity. Apparently he spent few years as a distinguished clinician in Los Angeles, where no doubts he had an ample opportunity to meet many subjects and develop this curriculum.   http://www.oxy.edu/faculty/glenn-elmer-griffin

Boyz........we blew well past a 90 degree turn on this thread some time ago............

On busy Monday morning on the approach int Atlanta Hartsfeld pilots was issued delay vectors to a nav fix out in the boondocks and complained to approach control about the vector...... so....... the controller paused and then said......"Cactus721.......give me a 720 degree left 4 minute turn at 3,000 ft and remain in Visual conditions ........call me after the turn...."  Gulp....that's what happens when a pilot turns .....snowflake.....

Drive on............(are we jackknifed......yet?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Alright this train is so far off the tracks,

Not to be out done by some AmWest sniveler, you ain't been to FAA purgatory until you get sent to Limbo intercection to hold.    It is about 10 miles west of LAX over the Pacific.     

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

To wander back a few comments to 90 degree turns, it seems like most folks are able to avoid these maneuvers by avoiding situations requiring them.  In the eleven years we have been on the road from early May to November we have had to stay in a few parks that were much tighter than the owners acknowledged in their publicity.  Someone on this or similar forum said that park managers are issued special tape measures that show 45' to be 65' when you inquire about site lengths and accessibility.  This appears to be true.  These are also often parks that have minimal maneuvering room in front of the site for a large truck backing a 40' trailer.

I no longer tell the RV park reservations person that the tow vehicle is a HDT.  I emphasize the length of the vehicle but not the width, as the 3500 and 350 series pickups have dual wheel models about as wide.  Most folks just focus on finding a long site for me.  We then discuss front access room when back-in sites are the only option.  I have never had a problem when the park manager saw my truck was a HDT.  Most have positive comments, if any.   If I'm not sure of the room I'll have to back in I'll look at the RV park on Google Earth.  The detail is enough to give one an idea of the ease or difficulty of getting into the site.

However, the next time I find that the back in site requires a 90 degree turn I will use the information from this discussion and release my black water to allow my trailer tires to freely slide.   Great suggestion!

John

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Are there a lot of parallel parking required RV spots somewhere? I just don't understand where one would need to be at 90? I have been a city trucker for 20 years and can only think of a couple of times I have had to do that. One is when I took my CDL driving test where you have to parallel park in a box barely longer than the trailer and the other is at Johnson Air in Portland. I have probably delivered there 50-60 times and I think I nailed it on one try maybe 3-5 times. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qxj9JbMNZmmyr3BB3 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2017 at 2:13 PM, 13speed said:

Are there a lot of parallel parking required RV spots somewhere? I just don't understand where one would need to be at 90? I have been a city trucker for 20 years and can only think of a couple of times I have had to do that. One is when I took my CDL driving test where you have to parallel park in a box barely longer than the trailer and the other is at Johnson Air in Portland. I have probably delivered there 50-60 times and I think I nailed it on one try maybe 3-5 times. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qxj9JbMNZmmyr3BB3 

Yes theres a lot of them around. Not all parks have all pull through sites. And also most that I go to in the south east. Your going to be at 89.7 degrees at some point if your not careful. One site north of Chattanooga Tn. And one of the best sites for us. Your 90 degrees getting into and out of it. But coming out the trailer tires are on gravel. So no issues and I make it happen 2 times per year. But that's with the Kodiak, it turns shorter then anything I have ever driven. Now the Kenworth. I don't think we will ever use that spot with it.

Shoot when I was running OTR. I had to do 90's every week, and sometimes 4 or 5 times per week. Never any issues there. My triple axle tilt car trailer. It does not and will not do 90's. That front set of tires are coming off the axle on it for sure. My Heartland Land Mark never any issues with it though.

event.png

• 1 month later...

A 90 degree can be done but at what cost, 1. you will skuff the tires, 2. Twist the axles even though they do shift some and realign themselves, 3. Stress on the trailer frame, 4. possible trailer to truck contact causing severe damage etc... if there is a need to do that type of turn so be it but if I can go down the road and turn around that is what I would do, I value what I pay for and enjoy.

Grayling & Shirley

2000 Volvo 420, single Axle, 370 ISM, 10 speed

2001 Holiday Rambler Presidential 37' SKT

US Army MSG (Ret) Transportation Corps

(see You Tube Channel Max1Chase1)

• 4 weeks later...

I have. Park just left, parking is in front of lot, actually on road. These are back in sites. I had to get 90 degrees. That black new Dodge was where I needed to go. DW said stop, tires coming off rims. They won't but sure look like it.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

This thread has a lot of different thoughts on the subject. Some good, some where I will not go, as to respect my equipment.

Now I am really curious if Steve and Gail ever o a 90 degree turn. If they do will we ever hear about it.

So you could treat you fifth wheel like a bumper pull. Or not.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Archived