Macerator?

When the boat business was in business, we installed Tecma Easy fit https://www.thetfordmarine.com/product/easy-fit/ in a pile of boats.  Never had an issue with them. The "RV" model is http://www.thetford.com/part/tecma-silence-plus-rv/.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Some motorhomes with a rear bathroom have the macerator toilet because the waste drop is not straight down and more prone to clogs.  we have a sani-con macerator that empties the waste tanks and are happy with it.  like kayakbob said you can pump uphill if you need to.  it takes longer to dump, but you don't have to hook it up every time and the hose is only 1 1/4" so much easier to store.

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

I have a macerator toilet in my DRV.  DRV installs it standard in the floor plan we chose because the toilet sits directly over the basement and they did not want a three inch pipe running down through the middle of it taking up storage space.  I like the toilet because it grinds stuff up before it gets to the tank, which makes it less likely to clog the tank.  It does, however, use more water than a standard RV toilet.  I like and dislike this.  I like it because it is another way to help keep the black tank from clogging up.  Water is good for breaking down the remaining small solids.  I don't like it when we are boondocking because the tank fills faster than what I am used to from our previous RV with a regular RV toilet.  It is still manageable and as long as my granddaughter isn't along pushing the flush button a bunch of times:blink:, we can still get a week out of the black tank before needing to dump.

If I was starting from scratch, I'm not sure which way I would go. If you don't do a lot of boondocking or only do it for a few days at a time and spend more time in parks, then I would go macerator toilet.  I like mine (the one Jim linked above - Tecma).  If you spend a lot of time boondocking and want to stretch your stays as long as possible, then I would go regular RV toilet and a macerator pump.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Both toilets in our Continental Coach are macerators and we have been very happy with them. Yes they do use a little more water but we do not boondock.  We don't worry about what TP we use, the macerator grinds it up.  We used a portable FloJet macerator with our one toiletTeton occasionally to dump tanks into the septic tank and have also used it for the CC.  We don't dump into the septic tank enough that I would have both macerator toilets and an onboard macerator.   If you only have one toilet the onboard macerator might make the most sense.  But if you have two toilets you will most likely need at least one macerator toilet to get the discharge to the black tank.  If you will have two toilets and will dump into the septic tank often then both macerator toilets and an onboard macerator pump may be necessary.  Much better to decide all of thisbefore you build the rig than to try and add them afterwards.  Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Thank you to all that replied.  Although I'll be boondocking fairly extensively, I have 150 gallons of water on board so I guess I have the option to do both.  Ahh decisions, decisions...  Thetford or Dometic/SeaLand?

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I've installed many of these

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/37010_43000-0612.pdf

Buddy of mine works at a fishing lodge. He curses macerator toilets. Just takes one guest to ignore the sign "DON'T FLUSH WHAT YOU DIDN'T EAT"

An electric toilet draw a few amps. For boondocking a manual toilet is an option.

Maybe one of these :)

https://marinestore.co.uk/Blakes_Victory_Marine_Right_Hand_Toilet.html

2011 Cameo 34SB3

On 6/28/2017 at 8:21 PM, NoDirectionHome said:

Although I'll be boondocking fairly extensively, I have 150 gallons of water on board so I guess I have the option to do both.

The other catch may be the power consumption from your 12V-DC system. Not the requirements:

Toilet requires a 12-VDC/40-AMP dedicated circuit with 8-gauge wire and 40-AMP breaker or fuse between the main bus or battery and a terminal located near the toilet.

The comes from the Thetford owner's manual. I have never owned one, but am looking into them for our house which is on a septic system.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, J-T said:

As long as there's a wood seat (touch wood) on the toilet it will be O.K.

Hope you're right . 

I spent a good share of my life in the woods . Murphy wasn't too bothered , as he seemed to visit fairly often . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

So, I'll be going macerator toilets (1 1/2 baths) / macerator pump out.  The volume of water and electric seems inconsequential to me even heavily boondocking, compared to the overall benefits.  Thanks again to all your thoughts and opinions -Steve

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Archived