Two Truck Choices with Some Important Differences or Not?

mrrrl2

Both are 2013 730 about the same price, but there are some differences that I'm not sure really make much difference. I included the Volvo Code for some in parentheses. Let me know if you think that the differences on #2 make it that much better.

#1 Has:

D13 425HP Eco-Torque 2100RPM 1750/1450 LBFT EPA10 (But dealer has stated this is been reprogrammed to 500HP)

505k Mileage

229 Wheelbase

2.47 Rear end

Light Weight Package (924001) Not really sure what this is.

Electronic Viscous Fan Clutch (208025)

Both Driver & Passenger have National Comfort Air Susp W/Back Cycler

Non Cancelling Turn Signals (Really?)

#2 Has:

D13 455HP Eco-Torque 2100RPM 1750/1550 LBFT EPA10

440k Mileage

233 Wheelbase

2.47 Rear end

EPA Smartway Compliant Fuel Economy Package (927001)

EPA Smartway (B2BA1x)

Kysor On/Off Fan Clutch (208021)

Hill Start Assist

Transmission Eco-Roll, Enabled in Stalk Position "A"

Volvo Transmission Eco-Roll Control, Stalk (Part of above)

Comfort Seat, Suspension (32G8) (Driver side I am guessing)

National Seat (35D1)

Both have Trans Performance Mode with auto return to economy.

Thanks

It is really the case of 6/one half dozen of the other. There are some things I like on both, but I seriously doubt both are in identical condition. I'd choose based on mechanical condition and condition of the interior and body. Only then would I consider the other elements. Not to say the other things might not be important to you.

The first truck has higher hp (which will cost you to bring the second up to) and the electronic fan, which I happen to like. The lightweight package is not really needed in an RV application. The hill start assist and the eco roll, plus lower miles in the second lean me towards that. Although I'm surprised the first does not have ecoroll. Most XE trucks do.

Both trucks have low miles for a 2013. I'd want to understand why, but if they were regional haulers than that would be pretty normal. And most 730s are regional haulers of some sort.

I'd buy towards the second truck if both were in identical condition. But either would be a nice ride.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Both trucks same trans ? We all have preferences but if one is red, it'd be dead for me. Good luck, they both seem nice. I'm with Jack on #2, mostly the mileage and the fact it has NOT been juiced up.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Like everyone else above, if the second truck has not been abused, it would be my first choice. The hill start and mileage is a plus on it.

The first truck is spec'd with the lightweight package and a lot of the guys in this area get that package with 38K tandems on the rear instead of the usual 40K. I would ask about the axles under the front and rear of each truck in addition the other specs you noted. I am assuming they both have IShift trannies.

By the way, I ordered our new truck with non self canceling turn signals. Having to make an "S" maneuver or a gentle turn will cancel the them while you are still in another lane. It's not that big of a deal and I can decide when they go off.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I'll join the chorus on the second one, unless the first one has some absolutely incredible values you want.. I'd be wondering why they had it bumped to 500HP, extra heavy loads? Someone doing a bit of racing? Finally I'd try to see if you could get access to repair records on either one, more information counts quite a bit.

Happy Hunting!

Bet they are illegal in some places ,I remember a discussion on a trucker board.

So let me guess, you get arrested if yours break? Non self canceling turn signals are a 50 state option on a new KW. I doubt that would be possible if self canceling turn signals were required by law.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

A bit more information. Both have iShift.

Was a gain hauler

13,200 front Axle

38k rear axles

Located at RDO Truck Center Fargo, ND

Build Date: 02/24/2012

In Service Date: 03/30/2012

Waiting answer on maintence records

I know some members have purchased from RDO and have been pleased with their results.

Hauled dry van trailers

13,200 front axle

38k rear axles

Located at Dave Syverson Truck Centers in Albert Lea, MN

Build Date: 08/15/2012

In Service Date: 09/21/2012

They have no maintenance records

Thanks

Non self canceling is a required KW 'option'.....Good thing it is free. They only do self canceling in medium duty.

SmartWay is important for resale if there is a goal to resale back to commercial. No CA for a 2012 truck without SmartWay (commercial).

A grain truck is going to be at full GVW anytime it is loaded. That is the name of the game to stay in business. But it is only loaded half the time, so how that plays into future life left I have no idea.

I bet truck #1 has hill start assist, just not advertised. Look for a dash switch. It would be weird to order one without.

The viscous fan is the answer to not making dust when going slow in dry places. It is able to elevate fan speed to just enough as required by the condenser (and idle EGR to a lesser degree) and not have to go full on. Same goes for on the road. It can do just enough to cool what is needed, can modulate through the EGR surge, and can ramp up and down instead of going full speed. Keeps things quieter and saves fuel. If most of your dust is caused while backing up it isn't going to do much for that. Pretty much any fan drive is going to go full on as long as you are charge air cooled. It is retrofittable so you can put it on a 2010+ if it doesn't have it, so not a total loss if purchased truck doesn't have it.

http://www.hortonww.com/en-us/products/repair,replace,upgrade,retrofit/modulatorretrofitpackage/modulatorretrofitecm.aspx

Scrap thanks for the info. #1 does not have Hill Assist. I have the build sheet for three of RDO's trucks (730) and none have it.

Also just found out #1 was smoked in so I dropped that one, but they have another more, but the next cheaper one has all the same above but only 505k mileage. Next one after that is at 486k, then 426k, then 401k. Of course price goes up about 2k each step.

The issue I have with #2 is they have no maintenance history at all, they state they are a Volvo dealer so I would think if the truck was serviced at a Volvo dealer it would show up.

Not sure what SmartWay is, but I do intend to take off commercial hitch and make a bed. Also planning on keeping it for awhile. I suspect once I am done I would be selling to an up and coming HDT owner.

Thanks

Mine is non-self canceling on the left side only :rolleyes:

The DW has to remind me since the repeater does not work on that side either and I cannot hear it!

Sorry, couldn't resist jumping in!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Archived