Diagnostic Help - Fan Clutch?

SuiteSuccess

Was leaving on trip to Gulf Coast and got about 70 miles from home when wife needed pit stop. Left truck idling and got out to stretch by driver's door. Heard unusual noise and walked to front of truck. With fan off loud "whirring" almost clanking sound. When fan kicked in couple of times sound disappeared while fan was on. Hot day so fan clutch was kicking in and out appropriately when driving and truck never ran hot. Opened hood and weird sound definitely from front of engine but couldn't isolate. Turned truck off, belts tight, pulleys seemed ok, fan not loose. Turned around and headed home, truck ran fine, but being more in tune with listening closely heard rhythmic "whirring" until fan kicked in reoccurred when fan got temp down. Is this probably a fan clutch fixing to bite the big one? How much to replace? Had to hook up to the F450 for the trip. What a difference than Volvo, I'm worn out from first leg.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Also take a look at the AC clutch. Sometimes they start making noise before giving up.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Hi Carl,

Sorry that I can't be more of a help. I would also look at the AC clutch. Need to rule out a piece of the engine at a time. You could turn the AC on and then off and see what happens. You could try the stethoscope idea my using a long screw driver on different parts of the engine when the engine is running. If you do this trick, be VERY CAREFUL of rotating parts. This is a trick that the guys in the life test lab would do looking for bearing that are starting to fail.

Best of luck finding the problem,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Carl,

Does your cooling fan normally cycle on and off much in normal driving? It's extremely rare for mine to come on--only a few times a year at most, and usually on hard pulls in hot temperatures (or when the AC system does when parked or moving slow). Does the noise go away as the temperature climbs or just when the fan cycles on?

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

David,

This happened yesterday. It was hot and we were pulling some hills almost to Chatanooga when we stopped. Fan was cycling on appropriately when temp got to around 190. When we stopped and engine was idling and fan was off distinct rattling sound. Sped idle up, fan came on and sound disappeared, so that made me think fan clutch. Turned around and headed home.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Will also cycle AC as suggested.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thanks Bill. That makes sense. Now the question. Is this something I could replace myself or is it better left to the pros? Second how $$$?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

As I was told when I had my fan clutch rebuilt. If the bearing fails, the fan can depart the hub through the radiator, the heat exchanger and possibly the hood.

The clutch rebuild was about a grand. Lots of labor getting access to the hub, heat exchanger, radiator,

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Also check the idler pulley. Found mine really loose when I first took possession of my truck and started changing belts and things. Easy replacement, but couldn't tell it was bad until i loosened the belt.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Thanks folks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thanks guys. I have been happy for about a year with the noise going away when the fan engaged. Now I have to replace it.

So you're having the same problem? I'm thinking this is going to be a two grand fix. Can the clutch be rebuilt at the dealer or are they gonna just slap a new one on? I see rebuild kits are available but I don't have the skill or facilities to rebuild. Also can you buy rebuilt clutches from someplace that is reputable and will stand behind them?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Take it to B and B Truck Repair in Murfressbro, Tn.

They are a great bunch of guys and great mechanics. Lay you odds its your fan clutch and as Mark said when the bearings fail most if the time it sends your fan into the radiator.

These guys replaced my engine in 2013 and did a great job.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Take it to B and B Truck Repair in Murfressbro, Tn.

They are a great bunch of guys and great mechanics. Lay you odds its your fan clutch and as Mark said when the bearings fail most if the time it sends your fan into the radiator.

These guys replaced my engine in 2013 and did a great job.

Thanks Rick. That's about three hours from me. Am I safe to drive that far (150 miles)?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

My clutch is listed on my build sheet as "Horton Drivemaster On/Off Fan Clutch". Volvo's number is 208-022 on the build sheet. Would my dealer have the replacement part number?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Call kenworth and get the numbers for your fan clutch and fan hub. They are 2 different parts. They are over $1100 at the dealer but you need the numbers. Kit master makes the rebuild kits for them and I have fount them at less than $200 for both kits. The fan clutch anyone that can turn a ratchet can rebuild. The bearings you need a drift and a hammer. You can pay a shop to remove the bearings and reinstall them for you. Then just reassemble it yourself. There are videos on YouTube by kit master that shows you how to do it.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Okay back from trip and have to say 1000 miles in F450 not the same as Volvo. Drove 500 miles yesterday and was whipped. Went back to Volvo today and took belt off idler pulley and turned and tugged. It seems fine as did turning A/C on and off and watching compressor engage. Got the number off my fan clutch (989465) and can replace part for about $520 from this site with a Kit Master (thanks Ron for putting me on them). Now the question is how to be sure it is definitely the clutch. Dealer wants $820 for clutch plus labor for replacement. My D12 Volvo engine is going to require removal of radiator and more for access. Now would the dealer be willing to just diagnose, let me order the part rather than using their parts counter, and do the labor? I could at least save $300.

http://www.nickstruckparts.com/fanclutch.html#paging

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Check the kit master supplier list. I found a clutch rebuild kit for less than $100 and a rebuilt clutch for $320. Mine is the Kysor brand. I will pull it off and disassemble it first as there is a bearing inside that is not replaceable if it is worn.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

When I had my clutch rebuilt, the biggest cost was the labor for access which would have been the same for a new part or the rebuilt clutch. The labor for the clutch rebuild wasn't that much.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I did my fan clutch on my cabover about a year ago. Detroit Diesel. Harder than any conventional by far. Purchased a reman Horton from the Freightliner dealer, $650 plus $600 core, meaning they really want it back.

Maybe a 3 hour job, careful not to drop the fan into the radiator(wrapped it in in a furniture blanket) Replaced the belt at the same time. Nothing you couldn't handle.

Would not even consider trying to rebuild one my self. As Mark as pointed out, the outcome of failure is enormous.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Will be taking it to B&B in Murfreesboro in two weeks. Spoke to their chief service manager and he said bring it in and let's be sure that is the problem. Got really good vibes from these guys. He gave me a rough estimate of $900 for the entire job if that is the problem. Not having someone with experience looking over my shoulder think I will leave it to the pros although would be fun tackling it. Jeff he also estimated only 2-3 hours labor. Was appalled when I mentioned Volvo dealer said minimum of six hours labor and total cost $1800-2000. Gonna replace my belts also and anything else that needs it at this time.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived