Low power shutdown circuit

GlennWest

Mine is bad. No power to overhead lights, power outlets, all fans, etc in sleeper. Made 14 guage jumper ( know this is too small a wire, just testing) and jumped iso to ignition and now power everywhere. Should I just make a permanent jumper or buy the module?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Well I bypassed it at module for a permanent solution. Large wires. Just took out lead and put on in lead. According to truckers forum it is acceptable fix. Just won't prevent battery drainage if ignition left on

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Have no side boxes yet and I will not put lights in them. I have left interior lights on in car/truck for days. Still started. That system is connected to ignition system or at least it don't power unless turned on at ignition. That little box is 200ish and it works great like it is. If I start staying in it at night any, or DW kicks me out of camper, may consider replacing it. She never has but I have a place to go now. lol. I was a little surprised when I searched and found nothing about this on forum. Lots of info on truckers forum. Guess no one else has had one to fail.

Glenn, Bill B is referring to the side boxes on the truck itself, not add-ons to your bed. ALL of those lights should function without having the key on. It would make no sense for a driver, outside his truck, to be looking into a dark side box for his triangles, fire extinguisher or tool box nor should you have to climb out of the bunk at night to turn on the key so you could then turn on the light over your bunk.

I was a little surprised when I searched and found nothing about this on forum. Lots of info on truckers forum. Guess no one else has had one to fail.

The difference between here and the truckers forum is that most of the people here believe in maintaining their trucks properly and not taking short cuts to save a little money. Truckers will run a tire till the cord shows, where most of the people here will replace a perfectly good looking tire due to age. A trucker will duct tape a headlight back in place and call it a permanent fix where most of us would never be caught dead putting duct tape on our trucks except in a very dire emergency. Truckers will bypass a module to save $200, most of the people here will call it the cost of driving a well maintained truck. Most of the shortcuts you will find here are designed to get you back on the road so you can get somewhere to fix your truck right. You will be hard pressed to find many here that will approve of bypassing most anything on your truck as a permanent fix.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have one outside box and it has no light. It is compartment under bed. My Freightliner is not as nice as y'all Volvos. I am just tickled I have sleeper area power now. I may buy one but really don't see the need. yes if I lived in it but I don't. I also intent to put a solar panel on truck since it will sit longer than not

Personally I don't like short cuts unless it is necessary to get me off the road side. Spend the money, replace the module and be done with it. JMHO .

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Glenn,

Replace it, even if you find one from a wrecking yard. That module has saved my bacon many times, wife likes/forgets to leave the fridge on! I sometimes forgets to turn off the stereo. I'm with the rest, I want my truck in the state it was designed for. So much easier to work on. By the way, signed up to Access Freightliner yet?

If not? Your doing yourself and your truck a disservice.

Just sayin!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I signed up for it. Got an email to go to dealer and register it with Freightliner warranty. Did that and got conformation from dealer it was done. He even sent me the acceptance page. That was 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing form Access. Still waiting. May replace module but right now too much on plate. Still getting tie downs secured, got to get tire straps shortened (seems no one fits them for Smarts), cameras, camper needs a good bath. I'm not working now, as of Thursday a week ago. It has not been cleaned in 8 months. It's embarrassing. Those that don't work 7 days a week just don't understand.

Glenn

Do a search for a company near you that makes synthetic slings and rigging. They probably can make your tie downs exactly to the size you require for your smart car. I had mine done locally and it cost me about fifty dollars Canadian for my smart, I already had the ratchets.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Glenn

Do a search for a company near you that makes synthetic slings and rigging. They probably can make your tie downs exactly to the size you require for your smart car. I had mine done locally and it cost me about fifty dollars Canadian for my smart, I already had the ratchets.

Nigel

I was going to try an upholstery company.

Well I bypassed it at module for a permanent solution. Large wires. Just took out lead and put on in lead. According to truckers forum it is acceptable fix. Just won't prevent battery drainage if ignition left on

Well must my opinion but if you bypass this and what ever else quits, your building a pos, yes a piece of shit, only you understand, if and when you take it in for a dealer service and you have bypassed so many controls they will charge you out the butt to fix, keep to what you know and fix your truck correctly, or you won't have a truck any one else would have.

just saying as no one else will.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Wow. The hostility here is huge. Guys you have never bypassed anything? It not the end of the world. Also mostly nothing worked before I did this and it does now. I also turned off egr. Are you going to blast me for this too.

Wow. The hostility here is huge. Guys you have never bypassed anything? It not the end of the world. Also mostly nothing worked before I did this and it does now. I also turned off egr. Are you going to blast me for this too.

No just saying fix it right or you wind up with a cobbled up mess.

Denver you can jump in here!!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

well your the one that drove with out any air and couldn't stop, so just saying,

and you can flame me all you want!!!

Grow up, fix it right or get it off the road, or we all will have to stop at the scales and get a DOT inspection!!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

No just saying fix it right or you wind up with a cobbled up mess.

Denver you can jump in here!!

Roger

I'll jump in,

I've taken what seems like miles of pieced, butt connected, twisted and taped wiring out of our truck. Replaced with the right harness and all the issues went away. Still have a gremlin on the rear lights, but that's a phone call for a new rear light harness as well. Replacing and fixing with OEM parts may cost more, but it save's time and aggravation along side the highway when it's 5 o'clock Sunday on afternoon

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

well your the one that drove with out any air and couldn't stop, so just saying,

and you can flame me all you want!!!

Grow up, fix it right or get it off the road, or we all will have to stop at the scales and get a DOT inspection!!

Roger

And that was the first run with the truck. I didn't even know who much air it was suppose to have. That was a rather low remark. I do believe this needs to be closed. I welcome it moderators.

And that was the first run with the truck. I didn't even know who much air it was suppose to have. That was a rather low remark. I do believe this needs to be closed. I welcome it moderators.

So you don't know what a your truck is doing, so learn!!

And I don't care about the moderators, you need to learn how your truck works.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

That what I have been doing. I leaned about this on truckers forum. Only issue reported was naturally battery drain from using sleeper area at night. I don't intent to do this and if I do I will replace it. I will only be here for another week and i have lots to do before we pull out and this module is not one of them. I have finished the cameras. That was a real learning experience.

OK, guys, lets move on. You don't have to agree, but please keep it civil.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hi Glenn - a set of battery disconnect switches works wonders on hd trucks that need to sit for long periods of time.

Thank you. I intend to put a solar panel on. That will be later though. Spending a lot and not working now.

Archived