HDT Insurance questions

ms60ocb

I listed in a prior post,I'm starting to beat the bushes a little for MDT. The subject of Insurance came up. I'm finding that there are alot of road blocks. I have done a few searches and the HDT part of this forum, gives alot of options, each having problems.

I have heard Progressive will write a Commercial Policy, Private use, Not For Hire. But then it is said the truck couldn't be used for non RV related use. The stories go on.

I can see a difference between a HDT and a Class 5 MDT in use.

Insurance Companies should welcome the Class 5 MDT. This last weekend I walked the RV Park I'm in, and saw many Heavy FW's being towed by Class 2 pickups with minimum Braking compared to most Class 3 & 4's

What Insurance Company gives service in about 46 states with without some of the limits. A Freightliner M2 has only a few square feet larger foot print than my Ford F350, Is that the difference between Private or Commercial Insurance.

My F350 has a height of a couple feet less than Freightliner M2, does that make the M2 a commercial Vehicle. As a driver or passenger I can see the ground about 10 feet closer from the M2 than the F350, Does that make the F350 a private vehicle.

State Farm was mentioned on the HDT side, anyone with a smaller Class 5 or Class 6 have comments.

Clay

Ford F350 CC DRW LB 6.7

MS 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Progressive insured my HDT as a motorhome. Said Texas registered as Motorhome they insure as motorhome. Asked about commuting on limited use and said sure. Motorhomes are some owners only vehicle. My agent is Twin Peaks in Florida.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

BlueSky insurance does have policies which cover MDT vehicles, which you might want to check out.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

Miller Insurance Agency in Oregon insured ours. The expert in the office for MDTs and HDTs is Stevia....she's pleasant, knowledgeable and very helpful. They insure on a "combo" basis (truck and trailer) and were actually less than we were paying for the coach and Dodge 3500 dually through our normal insurance company. The "use" restriction was that we couldn't use the truck as an every day commuter while at home.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

• 2 weeks later...

I did my checking around and got 3 quotes. Good Sams was extremely low that scared me plus the girl told me when I asked for a sample policy. "Just sign up and they sent the policy for to read.

The other two quotes were similiar as my RV as covered by Foremost. I decided on Blue Sky but they were a little higher overall the fellow did an excellent job explaining the policy.

General Interstate was the third insurer. I just wonder if others will do like Farmers/Foremost and quite writing policies for Class 5 or 6 RV Tow vehicles

When I get on the road I will have to hit a scale again but sure I sure stop good now.

Clay with a used 2015 Freightliner M2 106

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

• 2 months later...

I did my checking around and got 3 quotes. Good Sams was extremely low that scared me plus the girl told me when I asked for a sample policy. "Just sign up and they sent the policy for to read.

The other two quotes were similiar as my RV as covered by Foremost. I decided on Blue Sky but they were a little higher overall the fellow did an excellent job explaining the policy.

General Interstate was the third insurer. I just wonder if others will do like Farmers/Foremost and quite writing policies for Class 5 or 6 RV Tow vehicles

When I get on the road I will have to hit a scale again but sure I sure stop good now.

Clay with a used 2015 Freightliner M2 106

Our 2005 Kodiak C550 is around $400. per year with Blue Sky. Being we have the Rv with them also, and even the price on it was half of our local insurance. Were in West Tn.

event.png

There is an inherent problem with people saying who they are insured with and how much they pay. There are many issues with insurers and rates starting with the state you are in and whether you have a separate vehicle.

This is all covered in the HHRV Resource Guide Insurance for HDT. It is relevant to HDT and MDTs.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Progressive insured my HDT as a motorhome. Said Texas registered as Motorhome they insure as motorhome. Asked about commuting on limited use and said sure. Motorhomes are some owners only vehicle. My agent is Twin Peaks in Florida.

Get it **in writing** either from them or your agent. CYA.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I went up the food chain a LONG ways with Progressive. Unless your policy is different than here in MD, I have been told **in writing** that the HDT is NOT covered unless used in direct relation to it's use as an RV. So no trips to Homer's, unless you were "going to get fuel/whatever".

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I have Progressive, here in Texas, my truck is insured as a motorhome and I was not required to insure the trailer with Progressive in order to get insurance coverage. I only added the trailer for discounts and convinces. I only wanted to have to deal with one insurance carrier in the event of a claim that involved both truck/trailer.

As mention, insurance is gong to very by state even for the same carrier. For example some have their HDT insured thru State Farm. I can not insure my HDT with State Farm in Texas unless I am willing to pay commercial rates. This is due to State Farms charter with the state of Texas and how State Farm recreational vehicles weights are defined in their Texas charter. Basically the HDT exceeds what State Farms charter defines a recreational vehicle of being capable of. That is why it crosses over in to commercial territory. It is both timely and costly for State Farm to make charter changes with the state and basically they do not feel they are loosing enough market share to justify the charter change.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I have read my policy twice. Specifically looking for a limited driving clause. It isn't there. I even called my agent and asked could I drive alone. That I would occasionally use it to live in on very short jobs. There is no wording that I can't. I am insured in Texas though.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Like Rick and Glenn said, insurance varies within each carrier from one state to another. Someone stated that Farmers/Foremost wouldn't insure them. Well, they have the policy on my HDT and always had....in Texas. They even covered my HDT for a declared value, rather than bluebook, which I am told most companies will not do.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I've got my 4700 insured through allied. It is a double policy with truck and 5vet, but no clause about driving solo. I specifically asked about driving limitations and the only one was in regards pulling other trailers for pay. In other words the truck can't be used for profit....The previous owner had coverage through State farm. They would insure it separately, but the cost was more than the Allied quote.

I went to Miller Insurance to get insurance for my MDT. I have all my other policies through state farm but I thought $180.00 per month was RIDICULOUS. Not sure how the rest that I have read here and other places are getting good numbers through state farm and the other larger insurance agencies. Thing is I am 52 and have been insured with state farm since I was 16 and spent a 28 year career in Law Enforcement so trust me I am not a "high risk" to them. BTW Miller Insurance was A LOT cheaper.

Archived