Rear view monitor placement

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for ideas to put the rear view monitor. Right now my camera will be used to view the hitch. I do not want to have a whole lot of stuff on the upper part of the dash. I want to have the best view of the windshield as possible. The truck is a '98 Volvo. Where did you place your monitor at ? Any pictures ?

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,

Mine is in dash mounted. Can't get photo to upload but can see at ECR

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Al,

Email sent with pic

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Al, Mine is also mounted in the dash. It started out hanging down from the overhead console but it was always getting bumped when we moved around. You probably have a lot of unused switches in the dash that can be eliminated and the ones you use move around quite easily.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

My issue with mounting INTO the dash is that it restricts you to a pretty small monitor. My 9" cannot fit into the dash. So, like everything else, it is a tradeoff. The in-dash does look "cleaner".

If you look at THIS presentation starting on slide 20 it shows how I did my truck. The monitor does not block the view for me....but I'm 6' 2". Danielle says it does not block her view either.....but it may come close to blocking her fender mirror.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My 7" monitor is mounted on the dash where the CB would normally be. I'm also a tall guy so it doesn't obstruct my view to the fender mirror. I started to mount it in the dash but it's a bit easier for me to see and switch between camera views if I wish to. It's certainly not as clean an install as dash mounted but it works for me.

Mine is on the dash on the left side next to the A pillar. What I like about the location is when backing it is real easy to shift my eyes from the mirror to the monitor. Basically the left hood/fender mirror is just above the monitor in my field of view. I am installing a new monitor right now (old one died) and I have considered other spots but the more I think about it the more I like the current location.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

My issue with mounting INTO the dash is that it restricts you to a pretty small monitor. My 9" cannot fit into the dash. So, like everything else, it is a tradeoff. The in-dash does look "cleaner".

If you look at THIS presentation starting on slide 20 it shows how I did my truck. The monitor does not block the view for me....but I'm 6' 2". Danielle says it does not block her view either.....but it may come close to blocking her fender mirror.

Hi Everyone,

I have looked at Jack's slide show. It has helped. It would be nice to put the monitor in the dash but the radio is in the area were the monitor might fit. So that leaves that area as a no go. Please keep posting more ideas. The monitor just might need to go on the dash close to where the cb is. I need to run the wires or cables to the storage compartment. My plan is to run the wires on the inside of the cab along the floor under the mat. Where did you run your wires ? The truck has no seats in it right now. I am trying to figure out how to make a clean install.

Al

Time clock running out there Al. Better duct tape that project in

and get some seats in there.

Else we may see you drive into the rally sitting on milk crates.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Al, you can put it in the switch area above the radio, but that limits you to a 7" monitor. You will have to move or eliminate the switches, but most of them are not used in RV service. Especially if you are singled. Those that are used can be moved to the dash area just to the left of the existing locations. The only thing that won;t move is the rear diff temp gauges. They have to be eliminated. In my case I wanted to keep the rear diff temp, since I'm slightly overloading my rear axle. AND I wanted the larger monitor. The larger monitor does make seeing things easier. I need all the help I can get.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

I'm working on a bolt-in bracket for mine that will hold a 10" monitor just outside of the bezel in the spot above the radio. I wanted to go larger so I could get several cameras on the screen at the same time. I also didn't want it above the dash to avoid distractions while driving.

The photo below is a piece of paper cut to the exact measurements of the monitor I want to use and the location where I want it to go. I hope to have the bracket done by ECR, but likely not wired up to my POE camera network. I will probably bring all of that stuff with me and mess with it a little in the evenings while I'm there.

df4c4bf7-6a0e-48e8-8324-bcaa2a6bd9ef-s.j
Here's a 7" touchscreen monitor I bought to use with this system. Due to the way the touch input on the monitor works, it isn't going to work for my needs. Time to upgrade to the 10".

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

That's where ours is mounted. I tweaked the bracket that the monitor came with. Bracket is horizontal to the dash and attached to a modified fuse panel cover.

My fear with mounting it to plastic is that it would shake. I'm going to build a metal bracket that will bolt in to the steel structure behind the dash panels and stick out through one of the switch panel cutouts.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Time clock running out there Al. Better duct tape that project in

and get some seats in there.

Else we may see you drive into the rally sitting on milk crates.

Hi Dave,

I would need two milk crates on top of each other to get the correct height. lol. The brain is going over everybody's placement of their monitor's. The placement of the radio in my truck throws me a curve ball. There is only one row of empty switches above the radio. But if you take out the radio and the row of switches you could put a monitor in that area. Then that still leaves the problem where to put the radio. Right now I do not see any reason to move the radio. I will have the monitor in the truck in time for the ECR. The monitor might not be in the best spot for the trip down to the rally. I plan to use velcro right now to hold the monitor. Maybe some extra eye's at the rally could help with the placement.

Al

Mine does not shake any - or not enough that I notice it. Well, maybe a "little" going over a very rough road....you know, when the entire dash starts "bouncing". But other than that it is very stable. It is attached to the small triangle to the left of the fuse access panel. I used 3M originally, but now have a screw in it. I used that panel under the theory it will be cheaper to replace if I don't want the monitor there, in the future.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived