Service Trailer Wiring

oscarvan

I got the dreaded warning.......

Pulled into a rest area, all was hunky dory. Next morning....poof, no trailer brakes and the error warning. You really have to think ahead with 19K coming up your donkey. Comfortably parked at Fort Wilderness with a week to sort this out before a 1000 miles run home.

2012 Chevy 3500 HD DMax

Turned it on and off a few times, checked the wires best I could, checked, and pulled and replaced the fuse. No joy. Does it too without the trailer connected.......

Ideas?

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

Open connection between the truck connector and the brakes. When you manually apply brakes do you hear them at the trailer???

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Under the back of the truck, trace the plug receptacle back to the truck harness. There should be 2 plugs there, separate the plugs, clean the pins, plug back together. Make sure the harness's are in good shape, not chaffed anywhere. Next spot is the receptacle itself, make sure the plug in the back is fully seated etc.

Next is checking fuses, on other Chevy trucks, there was a master fuse for "Trailer" under the hood in one of the fuse boxes. Locations moved with model years.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Have not gotten under there to look for chafing yet, and separated the harness plugs yet, that is a good idea. Drove through some gnarly weather, so that is a definite possibility. Then again, it worked when I shut it down.....chafing is a slower process. But water/dirt in the plugs that fermented overnight is a possibility.

Yes, it has an indicator, and it shows "Trailer Connected" but no brakes being applied, either manually or with the pedal, and I can't hear them and I certainly don't feel them.

The trailer plug and receptacle itself are clean and in good shape.

Yes, there is a 15A fuse for the ITBC ..... (Integrated trailer brake controller) Have pulled it, it LOOKS good, but I know that can be wrong. Next step is to replace it with a new one.

Previously a 2017 Forest River, Berkshire 38A, "The Dragonship". https://dragonship.blog/

All the lights work.

Again, it is an integrated brake controller, in fact it gets it's modulation off the brake pedal/braking circuits

The error is showing with and WITHOUT the trailer connected.

This is deeper and in the electronics of the Chevy.

Another check I haven't done yet is to pull the breakaway plug and replace it.

Oh, Without the trailer connected is on the Chevy side then. Could there be another fuse for trailer brakes somewhere?

On an older Dodge 2006, it was tied into a separate computer that had to be reset at a dealership.. go figure

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have had the warning on my 2008 a couple of times when the trailer was disconnected. It occurred after driving in heavy rain and standing water on the roadways. It cleared itself after a couple of starts and restarts when it stopped raining. I have also gotten the message with the trailer connected. Cleaning the connections with an emery board, speading the V-shaped blades on the truck connector and using some electrical tape to hold the female 7-pin more securely in place seems to solve the problem.

OK, the plot thickens. Now throwing a "Diesel Fluid System" code. (Yes, it's full)

Time for expensive computers, and thus..... off to the dealer. I have till Sunday, but I'm not going to tell them that.

Anyone know of a Chevvy dealer in Orlando that knows and cares?

Sounds like you went the "expensive" route!

No, that is a loaner. truck..... :D

The good news...... the "Service Diesel Fluid Systems" problem is under warrantee.......
The bad news...... Since I need it fixed NOW they are throwing a relay, pressure sensor and control module at the trailer brakes..... plus 4 hours of labor = $900 ish......
Oh well, if it's truly fixed it will be worth it to have a "normal" 1100 mile drag home......

OK for next time and you can try this now. I assume you have a fiver? If so, just pull the emergency breakaway pin from the trailer and without connecting the umbilical see if the brakes allow it to be pulled. If not, then the problem is forward of the brakes. This eliminates a broken or loose connector wire from the brake magnets to the trailer pigtail brake circuit. I had issues with a crossover wire that came loose once. But the breakaway switch pin pull is a very easy test as long as you don't forget to put it back in. Then all the pigtail and wiring and in your case truck. I'm sorry you had such a frustrating weekend!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

........ Don't have a potential three days to do them one at a time. I should ask for the old parts, as two out of three are good.

While leaving removed parts with the customer is good service policy and a thing that we did at my service job, at the same time I'd not be overly cautious with the dealer as I really believe that most of them are reasonably honest businessmen who try to provide good customer service. Think positive until you get some reason not to do so.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Reading about this situation, I've been thinking about this for several years. Believing that the OEM brake controllers will be a source of issues in time, couldn't you just install an electric brake controller that we have done for years, run a new wire from the controller to the plug, tie back the factory brake line? Just thinking.

Kirk, I do trust them, but in this case they are replacing a number of things because they don't have time to do them one at a time to see which is the culprit. They hooked up the computer and those were the potential causes it threw.

Derek, the error is there even without the trailer connected. It is in the truck "smart" brake controller circuitry. There's a control board, interfaces with ECU, a brake pressure sensor, relay and a number of impressive connectors.
Bob, I have thought about doing that. If this keeps happening that may be the answer.

What I'm getting to is that it would seem that they believe the parts thrown at it will solve the problem. If they don't, it then becomes a major challenge as most vehicle electronic systems are not designed to be worked upon, but just replaced. You might find a tech who can and will work on them, but that will be difficult and probably won't be at an authorized dealer.

My Dodge truck currently has a problem in the trailer light connections which come to the plug via the truck electronic controls. The Dodge dealer wanted to replace the electronic module at a cost of $693, plus labor but an independent mechanic I know just replaces the soldered in relays for about $150, total. The Dodge mechanic told me that he is not allowed to open those modules up. ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Dodge mechanic told me that he is not allowed to open those modules up. ;)

That I believe. It requires a whole new level of training. What I DO think they should do is have a repair facility, in house or contracted, that does the repairs and offers the customer the choice of a new one or a rebuilt one at a reduced price. Some of these repair prices for simple things are getting out of hand.

OK then......

$1030.00 later truck is back.

$295.00 to fix a "low voltage error" in the oil pressure circuit. Hmmm. Dead oil pressure gauge was fixed under warrantee not that many miles ago.... and the oil pressure gauge was working FINE. Old code? Not properly fixed in the warrantee repair? That one needs further research.

"Diesel Fluid System Error" fixed...... Apparently some EGT sensor(s) (would you believe there are 4 FOUR of them?) Under warrantee. No more message I'm happy.

Now it gets interesting....

So we replaced the "Integrated Trailer Brake Control" module, a sensor, and a relay....... No error when I picked it up. Got back to the campground, and the first thing I did was plug in the trailer......... "Trailer Connected" good. Set brake modulation, and applied brakes..... Gauge shows brake application..... that's an improvement. No noise from the trailer, but that's not necessarily a cause for concern.

So I go.....COOL. All fixed. Pull the plug on the trailer..... "Check Trailer Wiring"..... hmmmm, now mind you... that is NOT the same message as the original "Check Trailer Brake Wiring" error...... but it is NEW TO ME. Plug back in, hmmm still showing brake application. Disconnect....same "Check Trailer Wiring"

There are 2, TWO, possibilities.

1 Something is still wrong, but I won't know until I actually hook up the rig and try it........

2 The new software (yes, the trailer brake control module which was replaced) now signals if the plug drops out......

I remember the good old days..... oy vey.

Archived