Attending my first RV Show

WaywardWaylander

Greetings RVers!

I am very new to this, so be gentle. I'm researching a lifestyle change to full-time RVing, hopefully in 2017 or 2018. As part of my research, I would like to see some currently-available RVs up close. I'm planning to attend the Denver RV, (etc etc etc) show here at the end of February, and wanted to ask for advice.

My plan is to go there to see a certain, very short list of RVs that I'm currently considering, just to get a real sense of dimensions, build quality, layout feel, that kind of thing. There's no temptation to buy because I can't; the lease on my house runs into 2017.

That said, what advice would you give to a complete newbie going to his first RV show?

"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper." -Scotty, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Relics"

Blog: Wayward Waylander | Twitter: @WaywardWaylandr | Instagram: WaywardWaylander | Google+: Wayward Waylander

Bring a camera, take a picture of the sticker showing model number first so any pictures after that one would be of that unit.

Try to sit and relax and do things like try to watch TV to see if the layout is comfortable.

Try to see what items are accessible when slides are closed in case you want to use the bathroom or the microwave or get into the refrigerator or bedroom while in transit to a new location.

Check on how much storage space is available and is it usable for you.

I am sure others will give you more ideas.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Dave,

Neglected to mention I do plan to take a video camera with me. I hope they allow that. :)

"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper." -Scotty, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Relics"

Blog: Wayward Waylander | Twitter: @WaywardWaylandr | Instagram: WaywardWaylander | Google+: Wayward Waylander

My wife and I usually have a main goal in mind when we attend each show. We are looking to go fulltime in 2019. Our goal for the 2015 show was to decide if we wanted to go fulltime with a fifth wheel or motorhome. Although, there is much more to that decision than just looking at trailers such as what we expected to be our form of travel. Because we want to earn or save about $6000 a year in expenses, we had decided we would be workcamping for longer periods than a month. We looked at the trailers and found a fifth wheel (for us) was more comfortable for longer stays. We confirmed our decision by touring both larger motorhomes and fifth wheels. I've over-simplified the process of deciding between the two in order to explain what our goal was at that show. We also had the benefit of having owned a 30' travel trailer in the past.

For the 2016 show, held earlier in January, our goal was to decide what floor plans we liked best.

There is a lot to learn about construction methods. Personally, I found it best to research the methods before going to a show rather than trying to absorb it all at a show. It may take a lot of time to understand the construction methods and what compromises you are willing to live with.

One goal of ours is always to have fun. We also attend the show two days in a row so we don't have to force ourselves to be in a hurry to see everything in one day.

I suggest you get a list of what trailers are going to be at the show. Here in Kansas City, they post the list a few weeks before the show. I cut and past the list to a Word document and get rid of the ones we are not interested in. Then I go online and research each trailer to make sure I know something about it before we see it. I keep notes while I research each trailer before the show. Some are taken off the list because they don't meet a certain want such as it is to light in construction. Keep your list grouped by dealership so you can see all the trailers they brought while in that dealerships section of the show - rather than running back and forth between dealerships. You can always later drive to the local dealership to take a closer look. In Kansas City, many of the larger local dealerships are at the show. Some of the dealerships are located further away from where we live so we always try to make sure and see their trailers when at the show rather than making the long drive later.

After a couple of shows you will come up with a process and better feel for how to get reliable information. For us, we like to talk to factory reps rather than dealership sales people. We also enjoy running into people who have RV'd for a long time for advice.

Remember to have fun.

Mark from Missouri

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

bud, there is a whole list of things to check off an then re look at.

i noticed on a lot of new rv's. where is tv located at in relationship to couch. especially if your going full time.

are you good with eating on either table or bench style seat. with slides open , you got enough room to move around.

got a bank roll to support that life style. an so much more. these are just things i think get over looked.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Quality is hard to see. A very poorly build RV can look very glitzy. A reality is price does follow quality, but the quality isn't something you can see.

For example, in a trailer, the strength of the frame has a significant affect of the useful life of the trailer and is hard to see. But strength comes from steel which shows in two places, the price tag and the weight.

It will be worth it to make a trip to Elkhart (greatest concentration of manufacturers) and do plant tours, even if they are not your target brands. See how RVs are build will give you a much greater insight on how to look for information on a website or a brochure.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Don't get caught up in the glitz & flash, it's substance that keeps you going down the road. I do little things like pull out a drawer to see how it's put together. Is it stapled, or dove tailed and glued? Are the guides plastic or metal? How much plastic & veneers are being used instead of real wood? These are a few of the things we ran into when we thought of upgrading. When I was in advertising the mantra was...sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help you and we love doing so. Do not hesitate to ask questions, make comments or just join into any of the conversations. More members make for better forums.

If you have no prior knowledge of RVs and RV travels, you should take time to look over at least some of everything there. How can you limit to "a very short list of RVs" if you have no prior knowledge or experience to narrow the list? Is your list short because it contains only a few brands, or only one type, or perhaps only a few models? I'd guess that you are meaning the Colorado RV, Sports, Boat & Travel Show? Do you realize just how many RVs will be there? While it has been quite a few years since we last attended that particular show, I'd bet you that there will be more than a thousand RVs on display and every major brand, all of the different types, and most of the models of each. That is an opportunity to compare all of the different types of RV by moving from one to the next and making direct comparisons. I think that you need to plan more than one day there and use the first just to get a feel for the different types and what each one has to offer. Then I would go away and review what I saw for a day or so, returning fresh with a narrowed down list for another day of closer study. This show is 4 days long so it has plenty of time so do take full advantage of it. RV life is very different from the typical life in a home that is fixed to the ground.

We could probably give you more and better advice if we knew a little bit more about you and your background. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When we first went looking we took a note book. Could write down each one we saw. What we liked or didn't like. if we fit or not. Used it like we were going to live in it. One thing, if you say I can live with something even if it isn't 100% perfect to your liking. Don't get it. You will be unhappy later on. Will end up buying a second RV later. Didn't happen to us, but have heard it had from others.

Don't be pressured by sales personal at the RV show. No need to be in any hurry. Take your time checking the RV out. Being sure it is built right. Go to the forum(s) of the RV and see what people are writing about them.

Research, research, research. Take your time. It's fun too look. Last time we looked was an RV Show in Sacramento, CA. Was staying at a campground near by. Got free tickets. Didn't see RV we liked better then what we had. Almost 12 years. Same one.

How can you limit to "a very short list of RVs" if you have no prior knowledge or experience to narrow the list?

We could probably give you more and better advice if we knew a little bit more about you and your background. :)

Yup, neglected to mention a few things about me. :)

First, thank to all who have responded so far. I think I'm on the right track and am headed in the right direction.

MDS1: I am hoping the show publish a list of exhibitors and models before the show. That would be very helpful, and I could certainly use that to come up with a gameplan. My goal for this show is to try to judge feasibility of layout and quality of build. I'm not shopping dealers yet; I may live in Colorado, but that doesn't mean I'll be buying here.

wildmandmc: Great points. I've seen several Youtube videos that have commented on the silly positioning of TVs in relation to seating positions. Floorplans can help weed some of this out, but I don't think until you can sit down in the RV to judge, you can't know for sure. That's why I want to see the layouts first-hand. Great advice.

Mark & Dale: Factory tours are on my wish-list. I should be able to do this in Summer 2017!

Mariner: Build and finish quality are on my list to look out for. I've added your points to my list!

Nolan: Exactly what I'm going for. I'm taking a still and a video camera and will be dictating as I go. Forum-visiting is also a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Silly me! Also, I'm not even looking to buy until at LEAST next summer, which is why I'm starting to look now. Zero pressure to buy!

I wanted to add the following after reading Kirk's post (the gist of which was exactly correct and on point). I've used this list of needs/wants/requirements/etc to help narrow down my options. I have done a fair amount of window/web shopping, so I may be new to RVing, but I'd like to think I'm not completely ignorant as to what's out there. That said, I know less than I don't know, but that's why I'm posting here. :)

• Motorcycle. 2011 Victory Cross Roads (AKA "My Therapist"). Big bike. Has to come along. Not negotiable.
  • Tow Car. Yes, I have a motorcycle. But I don't want to limit my travel to areas where I can ride the bike safely. Bikes and gravel/mud don't mix. Grocery-getting would be much constrained. Also:
  • Kiddos. Two of them. They really need their own beds, so 3 beds total. My son would be happy as a clam in an over-cab bunk. Would like to avoid bunk beds, as one kiddo is late teens and the other is growing like a weed and is already as tall as the older kiddo.
  • Washer/Dryer. This is a very, very, very strong want-to-have. In the RV, that is. Doesn't have to come with the RV (but that's the plan), but hookups/prep should be there.
  • Space: Two kids. Love to cook. I don't see myself in a van conversion, honestly. My son especially would suffer from cabin fever on bad weather days in a cramped space.
  • Boondocking. I'd like a rig that can hold enough water, have big enough tanks, and be capable of enough solar real estate to last 1-2 weeks boondocking with both kids.

That's my short list. So I'm looking for a rig that can safely tow a car and a motorcycle (4000-5000 pounds total, and a Tandem-Tow(?)), has 3 beds (over-cab or drop-down bunk is OK), can fit a washer & dryer (or combo), has enough space to share with 2 kids without driving each other crazy, and is a great platform for solar and boondocking.

In my mind, I'm looking at small diesel-pusher Class A or diesel Class C (like the Thor Super Cs) motorhome.

Feedback greatly appreciated! :) Have I missed a configuration or possibility somewhere?

PS: I've considered a 5th-wheel toy hauler. Bike could go into the garage (which would double as my bedroom) and the truck I use to tow the trailer could be used as my tote-around car. However, the idea of toting around town or to parks/attractions/etc in a truck big enough to haul a 5th-wheel RV with a motorcycle in it doesn't appeal to me.

Something that is often overlooked is store in the kitchen, bath and bedroom. Once you find one of interest, tell the salesman to get lost and you spend time in the RV and "play house". Stand in the shower, sit on the toilet to see if you fit. Next, pretend to go through fixing a meal, where do you store kitchen, tools, food, etc. Pretend to get ready for bed or get up and see where all of the linens, toiletries, etc will fit.

Next, see where you would store, lawn chairs, fishing gear, small BBQ gril, etc. Will the back bumper support a bike carrier or is there a receiver hitch.

Does the kitchen have enough storage for food? Is the frig large enough?

Is the TV comfortable to view from the sofa or recliners?

As a first RV, I recommend a nice used u nit 3 to 5 years old. You do not take such a big hit on depreciation and seldom is the first RV the one you love. Buying used, you can look for a higher end unit rather than a pretty new unit.

Lots of manufacturers throw on lots on bling and glitz, but under all of the shiny stuff, the bones are not good. You need to take a flash light and look in the back of cabinets, behind drawers, in the back of storage lockers, etc to see how well it is built. Look to see if the cabinets are real wood or vinyl covered particleboard. make sure the cabinets a screwed and glued and not just stapled together.

Have fun looking.

Ken

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I never have had much luck at RV shows. You don't get to spend much quite time in a RV with crowds around and then the ones you want to see are usually super busy and expose you to high pressure salespeople. I've had better luck snooping around large RV used lots looking at used units to see how they have held up to past usage.

Greg

Wayward, that is a heck of a short list, hate to see your long list!

You will want to look carefully, as in I don't suggest you do it, in pulling a toad with a motorcycle on a trailer behind a motor home. That is not legal in all areas. You might be able to find a motorhome that has a toyhauler for the bike and then pull a toad or use a pickup for your toad and load the bike in it but you have to watch weights as GCVWR to see if motor home can handle it.

You might want to consider the fifth wheel and using an HDT to put your bike on or a smart car and put the bike in a toyhauler garage. Look at the Cyclones 4100 for an example of a 5th wheel. We are actually working on a custom designed toyhauler which would have a larger garage than that model. Our kids have moved out but we plan to bring the grand daughters with us in the future and we will be hauling a vehicle in the garage instead of a bike.

Either way, have fun looking at all the different variations. At least you have time to work out the details.

Dave

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Neglected to mention I do plan to take a video camera with me. I hope they allow that. :)

I suggest your bring a still camera as well; it helps to be able to lay out the pictures side by side when comparing what you liked or didn't like. Plus, if it is crowded you might be able to get more clear stills since people are less likely to be moving through your space during them.

For us, we like to talk to factory reps rather than dealership sales people.

x2. Plus, it is fun to give them feedback one year then find they made a change reflecting your feedback in a future year.

When analyzing storage it helps to have a carpenters' folding measuring stick you can photograph in various places. If you plan to use containers you already own its nice to know they will fit. Measure the table to be sure your plates will fit opposite one another; some of those tables are awfully skinny.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

sandsys: Great ideas. I'll have a regular camera along, and I'll take some kind of measuring device. As for dishes... well, I'm a bachelor at present, and am not attached to my current dinnerware. :)

You will want to look carefully in pulling a toad with a motorcycle on a trailer behind a motor home. That is not legal in all areas.

I've never heard of this. Private Message incoming.

Hi Mike - Congrats on starting the quest to achieve the future you see in front of you:)!

Lots of moving pieces, and no real 'perfect' answer meets them all. Reading your blog, you mentioned debt, debt, debt - so concluded that budget is not unlimited. Plus, with the complication of kids in the picture (not sure of the their ages), and just not really knowing if this will 'work for you' too - suggest starting off with a used unit, and seeing how all this sorts out. If the kids are bit older, meaning their is a not too far in the distant 18 years of age on the way. You may want to compromise some now, get into a unit that covers your needs today. Go out and try this thing called RV Full Timing out. Then, when their out of the nest, and once you've confirmed that it's a good lifestyle for you too - getting the next unit will be a bit easier, as you only need temporary sleeping arrangements for when they visit, vs living with you. (Hope I said that well enough to get my thoughts across...)

You might want to look into a Class a Toy Hauler. Even the gas powered, V10 chassis I believe, Newmar Canyon Star. It can carry your bike, and some gear and tools in the garage. Many of these have beds that slide down from the roof, and perhaps it could be set up for the older son to have as his 'man cave' for sleeping. You can still tow a toad behind you for the travels you were talking about and grocery shopping in rain, etc. It cold be more of a sedan for comfort and, bling, if desired. The front has a fold out bed in the couch. And heck, if it's a smaller child, the table converts into a bed too.

A bit older, and much higher up the quality good chain, were Travel Supreme Class A's with garages. Very nicely done, and lots of room. But, also more expensive, even used. So that sort of is contrary to the debt, debt, debt and potential (If my reading between the lines is correct.) targeting of a less expensive you to start off with.

Another way to go, is the convention Class A with bunk beds. Many DP's have the ability to carry the load of a bike on a raised bike carrier, and still have the ability to pull a toad. The downside, is the bike is out in the elements at all times. Even covering them they can get a bit messy.

And, I've also seen many that get a 1/2 Truck, pull the bike into the back bed, and tow that behind their Class A's. Extended or Super Crew cabs have plenty of room.

As far as the show. I'd also take a look at any DP to see how the access is to the engine. Many coaches you have to take apart many items inside of the coach bedroom, to get down to the top of the engine. Look for how access is to the engine on any DP you consider.

Good input from all, I especially like coming up with a short list of potential units you like, and then going to he owner groups to see what the owner's are saying about these.

Happy hunting,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Just joined the forum. Am planning to go full-time in Summer 2017. First RV show in a couple of weeks in SLC. I know some important manufacturers are not represented. Serious plans to visit factories this spring. I am following some good information on Escape in BC. Any feedback? Appreciate all the great information, experience, and wisdom being shared here. Thanks to the Technomads for pointing me in this direction!

johnwarrensimpson

Posted Today, 06:17 PM

Just joined the forum. Am planning to go full-time in Summer 2017.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We will do all we can to help you out.

Are you telling us that you own an Escape, 19' model or that you are considering one? You really don't give us much to offer advice based upon. I suggest that you read carefully all of what is in this thread currently and then consider starting a new thread to get into more specifics about what you want and need. No two of us have exactly the same requirements and there are many factors to consider. You may also find it beneficial to visit the websites of those who post here to get some ideas about how you may want to live and what sort of RV you will need. Most of us, myself included have active links to our own websites in the signature lines of our posts. I'd invite you to start that reading with my own website. We try not move a thread too far from the subjects of the one who started it, so you might be better served with a second thread for your questions. :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Reading your blog, you mentioned debt, debt, debt - so concluded that budget is not unlimited.

The debt comes from my divorce (and leading up to it, long story, personal issue). A large portion of my obligation ends at the end of this year, which is why I'm looking at middle of next year to start. I'll have the debt largely under control by then while still being able to save up a down payment.

I've considered the toy hauler idea but I'm not overly fond of it. My bike is big (8' 7" long, won't fit in the back of a long-bed truck) and heavy (765 lbs dry). I worry about a gas engine being able to tow it AND a car. It might be rated for it, but I bet slogging up mountain highways wouldn't be fun.

That said, DPs are on my list, as I plan on using a Tandem Tow trailer (http://www.tandem-tow.com) for the bike and car. I added Thor diesel Super-C's to the list because they offer similar room and power to DPs at a lower price point.

If anyone is lugging around a car and a motorcycle, I'd love to know how you're doing it and what your experience is like.

BTW, if anyone is curious, this is My Therapist, erm, that is, my motorcycle:

tzM5rPS.jpg?1

Are you telling us that you own an Escape, 19' model or that you are considering one?

Nope, I don't own an RV right now. I'm in the research phase and don't plan to buy until next summer. I'm attending the RV show just to get a feel for what I can expect in an RV. That segued into what I should look at, which lead to "what are you looking for", and thus the rabbit hole was followed. :)

If your bike is 8' 7" long, you will need to be sure you can shorten it up some by turning the front end as maximum trailer width is 8'6" except for safety items.

In my earlier post, I thought you were putting the bike on a trailer behind your toad and not using the Car Dolly with bike mount built in.

Dave

If your bike is 8' 7" long, you will need to be sure you can shorten it up some by turning the front end as maximum trailer width is 8'6" except for safety items.

I had thought of that. Many of the promotional photos show late-model Honda Goldwings on this trailer, and their length is only .4" different from mine, so it should be doable.

Great discussion and tips in this thread. I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm, but I'm looking forward to going to the show.

Oh, and the show does have a current "Brand List", so I know what will be at the show.

I full time in a 34' Cameo fifth wheel with a Goldwing 1800. I use a swivel trailer made by Mastercraft of Katy, TX. mounted to the camper bumper. It is legal in the US as it is not considered a double tow. Idaho Tow is another company that comes to mind. I can haul up to a 1000 lbs on the trailer although the 8" tire will wear out in 2500 miles with that much load. If you go with this type of trailer, I would suggest to use a tire monitor system. We have since down graded to a lighter 600 lb bike (VTX 1300) and now get 4000 miles per tire at a cost of $30 to $50 a tire.

Greg

Archived