Attending my first RV Show

WaywardWaylander

If it's a diesel you get, a lot of RVer's are using motorcycle lifts on the back of their Rv's. You have to be aware of weight limitations on the rear axle, although some I've seen don't seem concerned with it, as I've seen them mounted on gassers. A tag axle would be best, but I've seen many without.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Thanks for suggesting the lift. I like having options, but honestly I like the idea of the Tandem Tow better.

My plan for the show is really gelling now. I'll finalize a few days before just in case they add or take away RVs I want to look at.

"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper." -Scotty, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Relics"

Blog: Wayward Waylander | Twitter: @WaywardWaylandr | Instagram: WaywardWaylander | Google+: Wayward Waylander

Have talked to a person using this with his V-Max, a pretty good size bike. 1/2 ton F150 in his case. Towed behind a 36' DP with a CAT C7 engine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=truck+with+motorcycle+carrier&biw=1440&bih=838&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjpKDDv9TKAhUUTmMKHVSXBKYQ_AUIuwEoAQ#imgrc=Y1idGNlKSAtuAM%3A

Note: Not sure this link will come thru, but it is the tilter ramp approach. He liked it as it was easy to secure while still making contact to the ground, and all of the heavy lifting was taken care of by the ramp as it cranked it up into the bed. No problem with the weight, though he said he was not the first up the hill with his C7 pulling the 1/2 ton with bike in it:)!

Again, happy hunting,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

One more thought for your RV show. If there is a particular brand you are interested in and there is only one dealership bringing that brand, call them a few days before the show to be sure they are bringing at least one from that company. We got caught once when we drove a long distance to a show only to discover that they had decided not to bring anything from a brand we specifically wanted to see.

Otherwise, lots of good advice here. Have fun!

We are getting close to buying our first RV within the next 5-6 mo. (house on market mid-April). I depend on this forum for so much great information, but there is one thing that I don't see recommended here and that is RV Boot Camp by Escapees. My hubby and I went in 2014 and it was a huge eye opener that confirmed we are doing the right thing, taught us so much about taking care of our RV, safety, maintenance, the life style, etc. Then, we stayed for the Escapade after Boot Camp and connected with many who are full timers with various types and manufactures of motor-homes, 5th wheels, etc. We walked around and looked at some of them and when we met the owners, we asked them how they liked their rigs, how long they have been living the life-style, etc. We would eventually get invited in. Once inside, we could really get a feel of how the various rigs worked for living quarters. The owners would tell us about any issues they had with storage, livability, road handling, gas mileage, parking, finding parks that would take the size of rig they had, etc., etc. This was incredibly valuable information.This effort resulted in several ongoing friendships and they are all looking forward to camping with us once we get started. There are some really friendly people living the lifestyle we have dreamed about for so many years. We also have several friends who own motor-homes and hope to someday go full time and they also told us about their rigs. So we have narrowed down to what we think we need and now attend the RV shows just to try to see what deals are out there we might be interested in. I can't believe how low the prices go at the end of the model year! So anyway, my best advice is to do Boot Camp and an Escapade. You will not be disappointed.

I depend on this forum for so much great information, but there is one thing that I don't see recommended here and that is RV Boot Camp by Escapees.

Escapees (and Xscapers) membership is already on my list, as is the RV Boot Camp and domicile services. I'm a good year-and-a-half out from making major decisions and starting the transition, but it's great to know others are finding Escapees membership and services beneficial. It's one of the reasons I'm asking my questions an THIS forum. :)

First things first, though; gotta do more research. I have my trade show ticket in hand. Just wish I didn't have to wait until the end of the month.

"A good engineer is always a wee bit conservative, at least on paper." -Scotty, "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Relics"

Blog: Wayward Waylander | Twitter: @WaywardWaylandr | Instagram: WaywardWaylander | Google+: Wayward Waylander

I have my trade show ticket in hand. Just wish I didn't have to wait until the end of the month.

Uh, oh. I can tell you from experience that being in a hurry can be expensive. The dealer did give us the show price when we stopped in a few weeks later but we now know we could have negotiated an even better price if I hadn't fallen in love with a rig I wanted NOW!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Uh, oh. I can tell you from experience that being in a hurry can be expensive. The dealer did give us the show price when we stopped in a few weeks later but we now know we could have negotiated an even better price if I hadn't fallen in love with a rig I wanted NOW!

Excellent advice. I should be spared this fate (for now) by the fact that I can't buy this year. :)

Archived