campground

heavyduty

The campgrounds are submitted by those with HDTs who have stayed there in an HDT and fifth wheel Total length 60' or more.

If the campground is found to be a problem then it will be removed. This has only happened twice in the past five years. One was because it closed.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

One thing to note, call ahead and make sure they have a space open. Some of the campgrounds have a limited number of spaces that will accommodate our rigs.

This is very true and good counsel.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

My wife uses rvparkreviews. But also calls ahead to make sure we fit. 25 foot semi truck, 35 foot 5th wheel trailer and a 16 foot car. Says it every time. Still there are a lot of owners/managers, person behind the desk who don't know what a semi truck is by the remarks we get when we pull in.

The purpose of the HDT Campground Guide was to supplement the data available elsewhere. What we have discovered over time is that even "big rig" site listings do not necessarily accommodate our rigs. We have special needs that most do not understand. Which is why ONLY those that actually drive HDTs may submit info to the Guide.

I can tell you from experience that "big rig" sites that campgrounds advertise OFTEN do not accommodate our larger HDT setups. They tend to think of "big rigs" as 40' motorhomes. Not always, but in many cases.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The purpose of the HDT Campground Guide was to supplement the data available elsewhere. What we have discovered over time is that even "big rig" site listings do not necessarily accommodate our rigs. We have special needs that most do not understand. Which is why ONLY those that actually drive HDTs may submit info to the Guide.

I can tell you from experience that "big rig" sites that campgrounds advertise OFTEN do not accommodate our larger HDT setups. They tend to think of "big rigs" as 40' motorhomes. Not always, but in many cases.

This includes more than just parking.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

We used it today, as we have many times before. Only once would I have disagreed with the guide, and it was I a park that had filled with oil field workers, not there when reviewed.

A valuable tool.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

You do need to consider another aspect of "Big Rig" sites. Just because I can fit my trailer and truck in it doesn't mean you can. There are places where a 38' 5'er and short wheelbase 610 Volvo fit nicely, but a 40' trailer and longer truck won't make the turn or physically fit into a site.

Just something to consider when looking at reviews.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We used it today, as we have many times before. Only once would I have disagreed with the guide, and it was I a park that had filled with oil field workers, not there when reviewed.

A valuable tool.......

Why you so against oil field workers. We making a living and have every right to be there

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

"Why you so against oil field workers."....Probably not meant as a slam against oil field workers....but for me it is a statement about the economy surrounding oil field towns and the merchants there. Ever tried to spend the night in Midland/Odessa/Pecos Texas when passing through ? Ever plan to fill your tank there ?

After one memorable trip from Yuma to the east coast, without the RV, I attempted to find a room for the night....was quoted $200 for a Best Western, that had only one room available, even Motel 6 was $99....every other place I stopped at was full. Every parking lot was filled with pickups and oil field workers....and the cash registers were ringing.

IMO, the merchants there are accustomed to the free flowing money of some oil field workers, and the rule of supply vs demand takes on a whole new meaning for those who are not on per diem. Ever since, I refuse to spend a dime there.

Regards

Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

When talking to a campground we have not been to before, we ask if they can handle a walmart truck, every body knows what a walmart truck looks like and we are a bit shorter than that. Happy Camping.........

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

"Why you so against oil field workers."....Probably not meant as a slam against oil field workers....but for me it is a statement about the economy surrounding oil field towns and the merchants there. Ever tried to spend the night in Midland/Odessa/Pecos Texas when passing through ? Ever plan to fill your tank there ?

After one memorable trip from Yuma to the east coast, without the RV, I attempted to find a room for the night....was quoted $200 for a Best Western, that had only one room available, even Motel 6 was $99....every other place I stopped at was full. Every parking lot was filled with pickups and oil field workers....and the cash registers were ringing.

IMO, the merchants there are accustomed to the free flowing money of some oil field workers, and the rule of supply vs demand takes on a whole new meaning for those who are not on per diem. Ever since, I refuse to spend a dime there.

Regards

Gemstone

Gem,

Know we are off topic but same thing happened to my daughter and her husband when they were evacuated from the Georgia Coast several years ago for a hurricane. We had reserved a room for them at a Holiday Inn Express days before, (knowing we could cancel 24 hours prior) at their normal less than $100/night price. For grins when they showed up she purposely asked rates and was quoted over $200/night. Governor of Georgia had warned about penalties for "price gouging " and daughter reported but like most things was apparently an idle threat. Supply and demand.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Over the nine years we have been on the road we have seen the number of other RV'ers greatly increase. We now make a practice of securing a campsite for the night either the day before or early in the day. I have had good luck in telling the campground staff that I need a 65' site. Talking about having a semi, tractor or over the road truck doesn't always compute with folks. Telling them that the truck is 13' tall usually communicates well. Several times a person who assured me I would have no trouble navigating in their park has said "thirteen feet tall? What kind of truck did you say it was?"

Almost all campground staff making reservations know the length of their sites. We also rely on reviews of the parks to note tight turns, bad roads and other park issues. We rarely have height issues in parks as many 5ers are as tall as our Volvo.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

We see a lot of price gouging. Not right but it happens. I have discussed this with them and they say when we leave so does business. They have to make the revenue while they can. But we work 7 days a week. We are at job site on nights and on days. We mostly sleep during off times. Change of shift is hectic. So to someone vacationing it could not be pleasant especially during shift change. jfyi.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Why you so against oil field workers. We making a living and have every right to be there

I have nothing against oil field workers,or anyone else who contributes to the economy. I just stated a fact. Shame on me for not being aware of what I was headed for. I ran in to the same thing last year when I went to Big Bend. Three times, I drove late to find myself in an area where rooms were scarce because of oil field activity, or a nuclear power plant refueling.

So, use the guide, but be aware that things can, and do, change.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Geez, Rick. If I'd known my work habits were that disruptive, I'd have started earlier. Just kidding, buddy. I know you had already encountered your share, plus, of the gouging on the Alaska Highway

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Hmmmm -

Glenn - ever tried -at the last minute- to get into a small town campground when they are having a (whatever group) rally?

(Redmond, OR comes to mind).

Right to be there - - How about the campground (or Fairgrounds) having an FMCA rally ?

They (the FMCA) folks won't have anything against employed or retired oil field workers -

..........*unless* your RV has a hood, LOL!

BTW - nothing against MO HO owners either - lots of friends have 'em - - it is what it is.

Over the nine years we have been on the road we have seen the number of other RV'ers greatly increase. We now make a practice of securing a campsite for the night either the day before or early in the day. I have had good luck in telling the campground staff that I need a 65' site. Talking about having a semi, tractor or over the road truck doesn't always compute with folks. Telling them that the truck is 13' tall usually communicates well. Several times a person who assured me I would have no trouble navigating in their park has said "thirteen feet tall? What kind of truck did you say it was?"

Almost all campground staff making reservations know the length of their sites. We also rely on reviews of the parks to note tight turns, bad roads and other park issues. We rarely have height issues in parks as many 5ers are as tall as our Volvo.

That's a great way to handle it.

Archived