The best web browser to replace obsolete Internet Explorer is...

RV_

Microsoft dropped support for all Windows 8 computers systems and will no longer offer updates to it for security. Update to 8.1 or 10 or go back to 7. Do not run an insecure version of Windows. As well, Microsoft is dropping support for all but IE 11.

What are your best options? Here's a good list:

Excerpt:

"IE 8, 9, and 10 just became largely unsupported. What's a Windows user to do? Here are your choices.

On January 12, 2016, the support clock ran out for Internet Explorer (IE) 8, 9 and 10. True, there are a few exceptions, IE 9 on Vista and Windows Server 2008, and IE 10 on Windows Server 2012 still live. But for most Windows users the time has come to switch to a new browser.

Of course, you could stick with a browser that's no longer supported, but sooner or later that way leads to a security disaster. Don't do this!

Instead consider one of the following browsers: Chrome 49, Firefox 43, IE 11, or Opera 34.

To see how they worked I ran benchmarks on a fully updated Windows 7 Gateway SX2802-07 PC. This older computer uses a dual-core 2.6 GHz Intel Pentium E5300 processor. This system has 6GBs of RAM. It also has a data bus speed of 800 MHz. For an Internet connection, I used a 120Mbps cable connection on a Gigabit local area network.

The easiest way to get a new, supported browser is to simply upgrade to IE 11. You can do that in two ways: Download the installer from Microsoft--be wary of getting it from third-party websites---and simply install it. Or, you can simply update your system. Either way works perfectly well whether you're moving from IE 8, 9 or 10 to 11.

While IE 11 is excellent on Windows 10. It doesn't perform that well on Windows 7.

There are several reasons why Microsoft is so insistent that you upgrade to Windows 10. This is one of them. Edge, the Windows 10 specific browser, and IE 10 simply run better on the same hardware with Windows 10 than on earlier versions of Windows.

I put my PC on the test bench, ran the following benchmarks, and this is what I found."

For his test results on the alternative browsers go here for the rest: http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-best-web-browsers-to-replace-obsolete-internet-explorer/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We quit using Internet Explorer a long time ago and never looked back. Firefox was our go to browser for a long time until we started having problems with that. Since then we have been using Chrome and are very happy with it. So I could care less what MS does or doesn't do with their browser. I haven't talk with many folks lately that still use a MS browser. Now if I can just figure out how to remove it completely from my Windows 7 system. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

I've also been using Chrome for years. I like the fact that it integrates with Chrome running on my phone. If I use Google Maps at home to look at a destination, my phone will already "know" that is where I probably want to go. The only problem I'm finding with it these days is its inability to display some sites using Flash features it no longer accommodates. For example, I haven't been able to figure out how to run Pandora using Chrome.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I have been an anti IE for decades, in the beginning used netscape until aol took over, then switched to IE, (short time only) then started with chrome.

firefox was a mem hog for years , since gotten better, but last 2 yrs way to many open holes in browser. Prefer to use chrome.

Chrome open's up doc's without the need for ms word, an google already knows all about ya so why give another company your info.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Use Chrome mostly and have been testing the waters with Opera and Duck-Duck-Go for search! Used Super Spyware this AM after a week since last scan. Removed 398 tracking cookies. I will just use Opera and see how many are next week!!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I don't do Google, all Windows phones here as well as Windows 10 computers across the board save one, and it is getting tested next. I have no issues with anyone that runs other hardware or software or dislikes Windows or their programs. IE11 is our browser of choice. Edge will likely be later when they add extensions. Windows 10 mobile is going to be pretty compatible with the main OS I hear but I will believe it when I see it. I had used Duck Duck Go a bit and FF years ago for a switcher between 2004 and 2007 when they each took turns being vulnerable.

IE11 is slow with Adblock + added so I am thinking about Opera which has been around a long time. Is anyone using Opera with Windows yet or recently? I will likely switch back to Edge once they advance it past beta and support/have extensions. I like not having separate software to update when vulnerabilities are found. I am slower than when I was 40 and I am fine with 100mbps Cable Internet and IE11 for now and may switch to Opera. I am not a big FF fan because they have enough market share to be targeted. No criticism just my thinking out loud.

Pieere, have you tried using CCleaner and clicking on options in the left side menu and then cookies? It allows you to keep cookies from trusted websites you want to auto logon to. But I just manually do it after a cleaning. The cookie manager is for folks to do it once and then not manually do it again. If you go there before cleaning, and then after you will see that most anti spyware tracking cookies are just cookies. They all track the last page we were on in a website for navigation etc. I just clean after every session before shutting down. For third party paid for cleaning I have six lifetime licenses for Malwarebytes premium real time scanner that runs alongside Defender on my Windows 10 computers. It used to run beside MSE on my Windows 7 computers. I feel with both I get the same or better protection, with less resource hogging behavior, and fewer alarms for nothing, than with any other antimalware program/s paid for or not.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Just can't figure out why anybody sticks with IE... Tried it over and over...gave up every time. Guess you can keep doing fixes and this or that or you can just give it up and go to Chrome. There's a reason that MS keeps doing fixes and giving up on older versions. I'm a former computer techie who now just wants to go on line and keep up with my forums and email. I want the easiest way...IE isn't it.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

So no one running Opera for some feedback? We all agree IE isn't working out, and Edge which is right up there won't be ready for prime time for a while. I think I'll give Opera a whirl and see.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I'm back with Opera. Fast easy import of bookmarks. Looks good thus far.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Y'all might want to try Opera too. Really nice news section.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Linda,

Opera is free. Download it and install and just check no when it asks if you want it to be the default browser. I am using IE11 with AdBlock+ for IE as my default browser yet, but as soon as I find a forum that discusses the extensions, which I am not used to having with IE, I may switch. It is rated right up there with Chrome in the review above, and comes with no Google EULA as baggage. It also does not phone home to Microsoft for the ABMrs. (ABM = Anything But Microsoft) Objecting to MS and instead using a Google Product with their full intrusion on our data, seems like it would only suit those with an Android phone. For those of us with iPhones or Windows Phones, avoiding Google and their software is easy. Lots of folks don't mind Google's EULA and trust them like I do MS. But using Windows and complaining about MS would be like me using Chrome OS and complaining about their EULA and Chrome so using IE for Chrome OS?

Yes I am with you Linda, and IE will remain my primary for now. But once I get the hang of extensions, I might stick with Opera. But it is too early to tell. As far as speed, I am not noticing too much difference so far. Not enough to make me sit up and switch on first day/month of use. I'm on it now and without extensions it is as smooth as IE11. The thing that made me go in circles was not reading the directions and not knowing to click on the Opera logo at the very top left of the screen. Duh! It also imports the favorites from IE11 fine. Edge, if it gets ready for prime time, or IE11 will likely be my long term browsers in any event because they will get updated monthly along with Windows 8.1 or 10 on my systems.

Lynda, I was going to get the new Surface 3 like you did, but right before I pulled the trigger on it for the 128 GB 4GB RAM model for $100 bucks off making it $499.99, I ran into my Surface Pro 3 with 128 GB of SSD, 4GB RAM, the Intel i5, and 11.6" screen, brand new in the sealed box, not refurbished, for $499.99. So I ended up with it. No issues at all with it. It had software issues with WiFi when it was first introduced in mid 2014. All solved in 2014. The Surface Pro 4 was having minor difficulties too at first so I opted for the now proven 11.6" Surface Pro 3.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks for your overviews, Derek. I find that useful. I am not a fan of Google, but I find that using their Chrome is the lessor of 'evils'.... and have been using DuckDuckGo (in lieu of Google) for quite some time now - very happy with it. I guess I am waiting for MS Edge to prove itself... or not.

One of these days I'll give Opera a try.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Read an article a few minutes back that states AVG's new Tuneup in its antivirus program conflicts with Chrome and can install Malware according to IT guy Bob Rankin! It has supposedly been patched now! I believe it got me as two of my computers I installed it on have crashed and would not reboot My 3 2&1/2 yr old Gateway was able to load Linux 17.3 Rosa on and works good. My Older Acer 5315 built 98/05 loads Linux but both Rosa and Mate will noit allow the WiFI to work. Don't have a wired connection to check it with. I'll wait for my friend who can reload it with Win/7 Pro and use it until 2019 or when it won't operate. LOL!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

YW Jim,

I'm glad you found it useful.

Pieere,

It does sound like your hardware is good but you have an infection or something badly corrupted your files. Might I suggest that you have him talk you through doing the factory restore, and you can take notes as you go. Then when you need to, you can do it yourself. A 3.5 year old system should upgrade to 10 fine. 10 is no big deal to go to from 7. Lots of it is almost identical to 7.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I do use Opera Mini on my wife's smart phone. I have a semi-dumb phone that is difficult to get on line when travelling. She uses Chrome so for me to get easily onto Facebook, on the same phone, I use a different browser. Opera Mini works great. It is fast and easy.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I am running WIndows 10, 64bit, Linux Opensuse, Android versions on my phones and tablets.

I use Chrome across all these platforms. It keeps my bookmarks and logins synced so I rarely think about them. I just use them as I work.

But, I am a heavy OneNote user across platforms, too. I use the desktop docking and live link capabilities to integrate what I do in it with whatever web references I use. Live Linking only works with IE 11.

Most of the things I start directly are already in my Chrome Bookmarks and bookmark bar (using subfolders), so no matter the OS, I just go directly to those places in Chrome.

But, I also use Roboform Password manager (playing with Dashlane, too) and it integrates a little better with IE than with Chrome because Chrome does not support toolbars. To make it all pretty seamless, I set IE 11 as my default browser so any Roboform shortcuts or logins I click in Roboform just come up smoothly in IE and I don't have to think about it. I don't really care for the Roboform browser's limitations compared to Chrome.

I pin the initiating ICONS for Chrome and IE to the Task BAR making them handy and combined with the "most visited", recently visited and pinned capabilities of a win 10 right clicking on an icon, I can quickly go to most of the places directly in the browser I use with that site. It sounds complex but once setup, I don't even think about it. The key things just fall under my cursor and fingertips. As for flash on Android, I keep the Dolphin browser installed just for running those. Don't really use it for anything else, though. It's small and fast for this.

Below is the popup I get when I right click my Chrome icon on my task bar or START menu. This capability is very often overlooked as a way to easily get to what you frequently use without a lot of hunting, pecking or cluttered ICONS on the desktop.

01.19.2016-08.21.png

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived