Tandem Seat Smart Car......Thingy....

Dollytrolley

Ok ......just locked up the guns, knives, and chainsaws and got mom-n-law into bed so it's my turn to be crazy....

A friend with some excess $$$$ has been help fund a fun project with some other Tech-$$$ guys that like things that have wheels, wings, etc. So he has been bending my ear about the rig he has been taking little drives in and says it's too much fun to have with clothes on........

Imagine a small single-wheel-ski-jump-ramp in front of the drom and the butt of this thing sticking up at a angle behind your cab fairing......at 1,200 lbs you could winch it up with a large fish reel............not sure that the idea of a simple rig will catch on in the ultra-age age but at $6,800 its cheeeep enough to try a couple and if you do not like them throw them on Craigslist and let some other victim have a turn.....

The folks involved with this project are pretty heavy-hitting-car-guys so it might work if the money meter stays far enough out of the red-zone...

http://www.eliomotors.com/

Who knows??

Drive on..........(Where is.......Elio??)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Dolly, imagine the oil/fuel stains on your hauler bed from keeping the engine at a 45-degree angle during your time hauled/racked. Imagine the repeated repairs to the front end that's not built to take the pounding of an HDT's suspension at unnatural angles for the front wishbones. As phoenix2013 mentions, Jeeps are made to sit at strange angles, this car's not.

I know a woman who put down a large deposit to assure that she'd be one of the first to get one.........nearly two years ago. :o

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Dolly, imagine the oil/fuel stains on your hauler bed from keeping the engine at a 45-degree angle during your time hauled/racked. Imagine the repeated repairs to the front end that's not built to take the pounding of an HDT's suspension at unnatural angles for the front wishbones. As phoenix2013 mentions, Jeeps are made to sit at strange angles, this car's not.

Peety & Henry.....Right on.....

How could I not recall......the flight with a mid-size road grader for cargo........supposedly the grader engine and hyd oil tanks were sealed tight but..........some not-so-bright-birdboy managed to fly a bit too close to some thunder storms and the ride was rough enough to "spill" plenty of oil and during some of the + / - 2G bumps and have one of the grader doors swing open and slam shut hard enough to shatter the door window.......

Sure would not want that birdboy driving a HDT with a Elio at any angle........

Drive on.........(HDT too big a brute for...........Elio)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

They look kind of neat, The problem I see is they have been "developing" this machine since at least 2008 (see Tech Talk V-35 on website) and I wonder when it will actually come to fruition.

There have been a lot of changes in vehicles since 2008!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

They look kind of neat, The problem I see is they have been "developing" this machine since at least 2008 (see Tech Talk V-35 on website) and I wonder when it will actually come to fruition.

Dennis

I would think that with the prospect that the economy might becoming a bit "flat" (or worse) it might not be easy to get over the hump from the 5th stage prototype into the first-stages of production.......big time leap to say the least....

Perhaps the better question is..........can the American driver ever really purchase & drive a 'basic-vehicle" ever again........are we too tech-addicted ? ?

Drive on.........(What ever happened to........Elio??)

With the price of oil where it is for the next year or two I don't see these being viable. The cost to certify the car for emissions and crash worthiness alone are likely non starters. If it could be listed as a motorcycle then it may be possible. The idea of a very basic car has merit, I am not sure the feds would allow a car without all the safety gizmos though. The original Honda CRX got great mileage and was far more practical yet, it couldn't be replicated today and meet all the government requirements.

The overall size and configuration of the Elio is not a plus either. A Smart or other commuter car is small in overall length and, not many folks want to ride tandem. I never cared for tandem airplanes, the only way to show emotion is whacking the front seater upside the head with a training mic or knee board. There have been several concepts with similar design briefs that never made it, I wouldn't count on this being the break out model.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

With the price of oil where it is for the next year or two I don't see these being viable. The cost to certify the car for emissions and crash worthiness alone are likely non starters. If it could be listed as a motorcycle then it may be possible. The idea of a very basic car has merit, I am not sure the feds would allow a car without all the safety gizmos though. The original Honda CRX got great mileage and was far more practical yet, it couldn't be replicated today and meet all the government requirements.

The overall size and configuration of the Elio is not a plus either. A Smart or other commuter car is small in overall length and, not many folks want to ride tandem. I never cared for tandem airplanes, the only way to show emotion is whacking the front seater upside the head with a training mic or knee board. There have been several concepts with similar design briefs that never made it, I wouldn't count on this being the break out model.

Steve

Steve you bring up some good points to ponder......

As I recall, as Trike the unit is classed as a motorcycle however they seem to want to play in the auto-game and have crash tested the unit so thats pretty gutsy for a bike........(when I was younger i crash tested a few bikes.........bad juju)

I had some good times in tandem aircraft, boats, and bikes and some not so good times......this unit is likely best solo and with the fold down back seat it is likely aimed as a bit more utility market with a passenger at times.......it is amazing how few private vehicles have no more than one human in them.

Much of this is likely a moot point in that Elio seems to be concentrating on the BASE cost of $6,800 .........most quality dirt bikes cost more than that and ANY of the factory trikes cost many times more......can they even come close to a price that low?

Classed as a motorcycle it's likely that the feds will give it a fairly easy pass, but I really wonder is a 2015 version of the super-basic "Crossley" have a large enough market appeal ???

Who knows where fuel prices are headed in the short / mid term but fuel use is likely not a major factor for most owners of this unit........the folks I have talked to use the word "FUN".......TOY......."Bad-Weather-Bike".......

So far much of the funding seems to have come from fairly interested well heeled folks that like to throw some mad-money at fun projects.......production often is where fun tapers off and the real grind comes into play........

Drive on..........(Let me get the Crossley out for a drive....)

I have thought a lot about investing in the Elio to be one of the first to actually own one but haven't made the jump yet. Would like to actually see and feel one before laying down any money and I never seem to be in the same place they are. They are considered a Motorcycle, having less than 4 wheels, but being "too basic" I don't understand. They will have Air conditioning, cruise control, automatic or manual transmission and a dock for either an android or apple tablet for all the apps that you may desire. (so I have read). The alternative is an open air conventional trike motorcycle or the unconventional Polaris Slingshot. https://www.google.com/search?q=polaris+spider+car&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZlurbj5_KAhWGbSYKHQOXBxwQsAQILg While the Polaris if fun, I would rather have the A/C and maybe heat that the Elio is supposed to have. The Slingshot is more "car like" but the single drive wheel with hardly any weight over it makes it really a fair weather machine. The low wide body at the front would be tore up if the rear wheel could push it through any snow. The Elio with it's front wheel drive and high ground clearance would be a true all weather motorcycle and I want that.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

They made a smart 4 four back in the mid 90's when they first came out in Europe. They only made them for a year or 2 and then dropped them. The smart brand could very well go away in the next year given the price of oil.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

The Elio has been though several prototypes. It is now on the final run of 25 engineering prototypes. Some will be crash tested. It is a modern vehicle with pretty much state of the art components. I've been in one, but not driven one. I'd likely buy one if it fulfills its vision - or gets close. They still have a ways to go, but it looks promising. Bringing a new car to market is a daunting task.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

http://www.neo.ne.gov/statshtml/112.htm#kearney

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/crude-oil.aspx

I follow these for the entertainment value.

Seems diesel prices vary greatly on this epic voyage, 1.95 > 2.41. Even big differences across the street from one another but people still buy expensive...go figure. We'll see what Houston costs tomorrow. Too far from Van Horn in 1 day.

I was really close to putting money on one of these over a year ago. They were running a 50 % match on a $1000 down deal. Decided that 13.3' was just to long for most toyhauler garages. Reading your posts I get the impression that I'd still be waitng for one.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

They made a smart 4 four back in the mid 90's when they first came out in Europe. They only made them for a year or 2 and then dropped them. The smart brand could very well go away in the next year given the price of oil.

Dennis

Dennis,

That are building a For Four for the European market agin in 2016, based on the Renault Twingo.

For Four

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Dennis

The reason Mercedes has the smart is to raise there MPG average over the entire product line. So probably not going anywhere soon. Higher MPG rating go I effects this yr I think.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Peety I mentioned your comments to my investor buddy that is a huge Elio fan and he chuckled and said that the suspension loads for high-angle / high-impact hauling were design mitigated some time ago when sustained high-density transport was considered with the Elio elevated with the front / rear high-angled / high impact hauled ...........ether-end up or down since that is the best way to cheaply haul a large gaggle of Elio's on a given rig. He tells me that the High-Impact-Angle loads are well with the normal suspension loading envelope of the Elio but many of the other systems were considered and tested as well. All Elio systems liquids were also considered in the front or rear end high angle haul mode so spillage should not be a big factor. Owner hauling of the Elio on tiny-wheel motor cycle / snowmobile trailers (rougher-ride than bob-tail HDT) were considered in the design........

The bio's of the Elio "team" is a very impressive group of seasoned and very moxie automotive engineers and managers........NOT a bunch of bikers hashing together a "trike" out under a tree somewhere........the real question is how good of money-beggers are they......

I would guess that the real trick to hauling a Elio (at ANY Angle) will seeing if the "team' can lay their hand on the $300,000,000 needed to just start production .........and then continue to borrow more as the Elio concept tries to gather critical mass.....

Jack mentioned that bringing a new vehicle to market is a daunting task..... a even larger task is starting a new vehicle company AND...... bringing a new vehicle UP to critical-market-mass........

Might be tough to haul a Elio at any angle.......if you can not get your hands on one to start with.......

"Trikes" numbers have grown somewhat over the last several years but it has to be only a slightly larger population than the .........flying-car market..........

Ouh-oh........don't get Henry started on the Stinson-Flying-Car.............

Drive on..........(Elio haul UP.......or....Down....today)

The thing I hate about towing a vehicle behind a motorhome (yeah, I know this is the wrong section) is not being able to back up with the vehicle attached.

The Elio would solve that problem if you made a towing adapter that attached to the rear suspension and lifted the rear wheel off of the ground when it was hitched to the motorhome. Towed backwards with it's front wheels on the ground and the rear wheel elevated the Elio would become a conventional trailer that could be backed up.

The thing I hate about towing a vehicle behind a motorhome (yeah, I know this is the wrong section) is not being able to back up with the vehicle attached.

The Elio would solve that problem if you made a towing adapter that attached to the rear suspension and lifted the rear wheel off of the ground when it was hitched to the motorhome. Towed backwards with it's front wheels on the ground and the rear wheel elevated the Elio would become a conventional trailer that could be backed up.

You wouldn't want to tow the front wheel drive car on it's drive wheels, I don't think. You could do that with the Slingshot and it's rear wheel drive. Just have to figure out how to do A/C, heat and protection from the elements.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived