Volvo 730/780 Workstation / Upper Bunk Question

mrrrl2

Roger, your HDT is a mid roof if your picture is correct. Do you have the same 37.5" as the 780 does? I found some pictures of a 730 with the bunk in the down position and it look like the bunk covers part of the side sleeper window when down, where as on the 780 its 6-8" about the window.

Thanks

Roger, your HDT is a mid roof if your picture is correct. Do you have the same 37.5" as the 780 does? I found some pictures of a 730 with the bunk in the down position and it look like the bunk covers part of the side sleeper window when down, where as on the 780 its 6-8" about the window.

Thanks

I just ran out an measured, I was incorrect. 28.5" from top of seat cushion to underside of top bunk.

Top bunk covers 4" of the window.

Sitting on the plywood deck without the seat cushion head rubs underside of top bunk and I'm 5-10"

The top bunk is a pain to climb into. Only used it when taking the truck to Herrin for the deck. Now it is used for storage.

I wonder if the mounting points could be moved up.

Weather permitting Salt Lake City is on my route south. I'll be dropping in on RF Mogul.

RickS and Roger thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. We are looking to be able to use the HDT for short trips and wanted to be able to keep the table up most of the time and sleep in the upper bunk. We do like the looks of the 730 over the 780 but function has to be high on the list.So its going to make the decision that much harder.

Let me know the time frame you'll be in SLC are, I would like to chat a bit and take a look at your rig.

Thanks

RickS and Roger thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of. We are looking to be able to use the HDT for short trips and wanted to be able to keep the table up most of the time and sleep in the upper bunk. We do like the looks of the 730 over the 780 but function has to be high on the list.So its going to make the decision that much harder.

Let me know the time frame you'll be in SLC are, I would like to chat a bit and take a look at your rig.

Thanks

You said WE! I don't think you will get two people up in that top bunk. Table to bed setup, as is the bed to table setup, is easy as pie. My wife does it all the time.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

You said WE! I don't think you will get two people up in that top bunk.

Easie-peasy. 1 wide, 2 deep.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I must have dumped it so here we go again, out with the tape measure.

Top bunk is 33" deep 84 +- long.

You could make a jackknife bunk and gain another 8" with notching outside corners a bit. So total depth would be 41".

Current distance from top of top bunk to underside of roof is 28"

Top bunk may be able to be raised but you'd lose ability to tilt bunk vertical. That may not be a big deal.

Speaking of the upper bunk, Is there a trim piece that is supposed to be on the outer , lower corners of the top bunk? Our bottom cover panel has come separated from the rest on the ends of the bunk. I'd like to replace it with oem if possible but there is nothing on it now. If not I'll Red - Green something...

Thanks , and Merry Christmas to all !

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Thanks

There is no WE in the upper bunk

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

We like the room of our 780 and the bunk is really comfortable. Nothing lulls you to sleep like the massage of the engine idling ...

I was a submariner for many years and loved sleeping in the bow compartment while on the surface with the diesel going.

OK, so on a 730 maybe take out the top bunk and add some cabinets for extra storage and just have to make the lower bunk up as needed. Has anyone replaced the upper bunk with cabinets?

Thanks

Archived