2013 SmartCar

GlennWest

We drove the 2016 smart last week. Mercedes did a great job on this new version. Such a great upgrade that we ordered a convertible. Won't be shipped till mid summer.

Some of the features we liked were the over all body design it has personality. My wife says it's cute looking. Paddle shifters, real auto transmission, turbo engine turn climate control. And oh ya 4 inches wider. All 4 wheels are the same size and on the same width. A least I think that's what I saw. It drove Totaly different than the 2013. It's has a feature that helps correct in high winds, uses the traction control braking system. This is going to be a good selling car for Mercedes.

Ours goes up for sale as soon as I know the delivery date of our new one. Has 14k mikes on it. Probably 15k by mid summer.

JC

We drove the 2016 smart last week. Mercedes did a great job on this new version. Such a great upgrade that we ordered a convertible. Won't be shipped till mid summer.

Some of the features we liked were the over all body design it has personality. My wife says it's cute looking. Paddle shifters, real auto transmission, turbo engine turn climate control. And oh ya 4 inches wider. All 4 wheels are the same size and on the same width. A least I think that's what I saw. It drove Totaly different than the 2013. It's has a feature that helps correct in high winds, uses the traction control braking system. This is going to be a good selling car for Mercedes.

Ours goes up for sale as soon as I know the delivery date of our new one. Has 14k mikes on it. Probably 15k by mid summer.

JC

Very nice...Climate Control and Covertible. That's like saying top up or top down. LOL

All 4 wheels are the same size and on the same width. A least I think that's what I saw.

JC

I drove a 2016 last week also, and I made a specific point of checking the tire size...they're staggered like the 451s...but it doesn't seem to hammer quite as badly as the 2009 I have now, even though my 2009 has been switched to the larger size all the way around. On the other points, I totally agree. It's still a smart car, but with the rough edges smoothed out, smooth shifting, and enough torque to feel MUCH peppier.

Tranny feels like standard shifting. Assume it is like the ultrshifts

Yup, it's a single clutch operating like our HDT automated manuals. The 2016 Smart is introducing their dual clutch transmission which is the small cousin to the new Volvo iShift, also a dual clutch. Pretty neat idea curiously enough invented by the French engineer Adolphe Kegresse, also inventor of the half-track.

These are the measurements we used for our bed build:

o 2015 Smart track width front 50.5” and rear 54.5”, 69” overall mirror to mirror

o 2016 Smart track width front 54.1” and rear 58.1”, 73” overall mirror to mirror

Jack,

I recently bought an '08 w/ 12K miles. I don't feel that way about engagement and have been reading a lot about the Smart. I remember something about checking the brake lights (sounded weird to me too) and clutch adjustment. As you probably know, the brake pedal controls the clutch engagement. I think if the brake light switch is sticking, clutch engaement would be slow.

In EVERY smart I have driven if you step on the gas there is a pause before the car launches. And it is not proportional to how much you press the gas. If you launch slowly then you don't notice it (much) but if you try to really scoot out then you will really notice the delay. I've probably driven 20 different smarts and they all do that. It is not enough to kill you unless you really are aggressive in pulling out into moving traffic. Which I am not.

So with the new "improvements", does it still lag enough when starting from a stop that you take your life in your hands every time you pull out into traffic?

I thought it felt very "normal", as in like my other cars...when you step on the pedal, it GOES. If I recall correctly, the torque peak number is listed as 100 lbs-ft., so the seat-of-the-pants feel is much more peppy, and the engine is very quiet, so even though they offer a standard manual shift, the dual-clutch would be my choice.

When we drove it for just a few miles we felt it had better performance from from the turbo charged engine. From a stop and from a freeway test passing cars at 75 mph, it accelerated amazing !!!!

The one we drove had a the "true auto trans" option and it's a world of difference. Like I said the whole package is the reason we are up grading our primary driver. We put close to 10k on it this yr and the upgrades are well worth the expense. Plus Mercedes is offering .09 percent financing, why use my cash when they have there's almost free.

Consider it training for driving the freight liner. B) I just realized all our cars are automated transmissioned,the smart and volvo are kinda the same the ford focus is a twin clutch 6 speed and by far the most 'automatic' very nice. If you expect a slush box experience ..... well not gone happen they all are quirky.

The smart 'learned' us as to what it wants ,treat it like it wants and its smooth ,forget and it delivers a quick jerk. :wub: you need to anticipate the green just like in the truck.

Howdy!

I've looked at the new 2016 Smarts but have not driven one. I like the extra four inches of space. Would like the new upgraded transmission tcompared to our 2012 Smart we have now. Was told by sales man that they all come with cruse control now. The comfort of the new Smart would be nice as we have put over 60,000 miles on our 2012.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Archived