2013 SmartCar

GlennWest

Well I bought one today. Taxes, titling, etc 8k. 31k miles. Twofold. Drove about 40 miles, interstate, river road, curcey. Don't understand the phrase fun to drive but it appears to be a good car. It likely grow on me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We drove the 2016 smart last week. Mercedes did a great job on this new version. Such a great upgrade that we ordered a convertible. Won't be shipped till mid summer.

Some of the features we liked were the over all body design it has personality. My wife says it's cute looking. Paddle shifters, real auto transmission, turbo engine turn climate control. And oh ya 4 inches wider. All 4 wheels are the same size and on the same width. A least I think that's what I saw. It drove Totaly different than the 2013. It's has a feature that helps correct in high winds, uses the traction control braking system. This is going to be a good selling car for Mercedes.

Ours goes up for sale as soon as I know the delivery date of our new one. Has 14k mikes on it. Probably 15k by mid summer.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

We drove the 2016 smart last week. Mercedes did a great job on this new version. Such a great upgrade that we ordered a convertible. Won't be shipped till mid summer.

Some of the features we liked were the over all body design it has personality. My wife says it's cute looking. Paddle shifters, real auto transmission, turbo engine turn climate control. And oh ya 4 inches wider. All 4 wheels are the same size and on the same width. A least I think that's what I saw. It drove Totaly different than the 2013. It's has a feature that helps correct in high winds, uses the traction control braking system. This is going to be a good selling car for Mercedes.

Ours goes up for sale as soon as I know the delivery date of our new one. Has 14k mikes on it. Probably 15k by mid summer.

JC

Very nice...Climate Control and Covertible. That's like saying top up or top down. LOL

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

All 4 wheels are the same size and on the same width. A least I think that's what I saw.

JC

I drove a 2016 last week also, and I made a specific point of checking the tire size...they're staggered like the 451s...but it doesn't seem to hammer quite as badly as the 2009 I have now, even though my 2009 has been switched to the larger size all the way around. On the other points, I totally agree. It's still a smart car, but with the rough edges smoothed out, smooth shifting, and enough torque to feel MUCH peppier.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Oh, DW laughed out loud when she saw it. Could have done without that. Lol

Glenn,

The longer you are married...........the more they laugh.......(don't ask....)

Drive on.........(Enjoy the.........drive)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Tranny feels like standard shifting. Assume it is like the ultrshifts

Yup, it's a single clutch operating like our HDT automated manuals. The 2016 Smart is introducing their dual clutch transmission which is the small cousin to the new Volvo iShift, also a dual clutch. Pretty neat idea curiously enough invented by the French engineer Adolphe Kegresse, also inventor of the half-track.

These are the measurements we used for our bed build:

o 2015 Smart track width front 50.5” and rear 54.5”, 69” overall mirror to mirror

o 2016 Smart track width front 54.1” and rear 58.1”, 73” overall mirror to mirror

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

So with the new "improvements", does it still lag enough when starting from a stop that you take your life in your hands every time you pull out into traffic?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack,

I recently bought an '08 w/ 12K miles. I don't feel that way about engagement and have been reading a lot about the Smart. I remember something about checking the brake lights (sounded weird to me too) and clutch adjustment. As you probably know, the brake pedal controls the clutch engagement. I think if the brake light switch is sticking, clutch engaement would be slow.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

In EVERY smart I have driven if you step on the gas there is a pause before the car launches. And it is not proportional to how much you press the gas. If you launch slowly then you don't notice it (much) but if you try to really scoot out then you will really notice the delay. I've probably driven 20 different smarts and they all do that. It is not enough to kill you unless you really are aggressive in pulling out into moving traffic. Which I am not.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So with the new "improvements", does it still lag enough when starting from a stop that you take your life in your hands every time you pull out into traffic?

I thought it felt very "normal", as in like my other cars...when you step on the pedal, it GOES. If I recall correctly, the torque peak number is listed as 100 lbs-ft., so the seat-of-the-pants feel is much more peppy, and the engine is very quiet, so even though they offer a standard manual shift, the dual-clutch would be my choice.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

When we drove it for just a few miles we felt it had better performance from from the turbo charged engine. From a stop and from a freeway test passing cars at 75 mph, it accelerated amazing !!!!

The one we drove had a the "true auto trans" option and it's a world of difference. Like I said the whole package is the reason we are up grading our primary driver. We put close to 10k on it this yr and the upgrades are well worth the expense. Plus Mercedes is offering .09 percent financing, why use my cash when they have there's almost free.

2015 Continental Coach

No sir. Not in my opinion.

2015 Continental Coach

So just took my Smart for a spin (2008 without the ECM/trans flash). Absolutely no hesitation from a full stop. Exactly the same as any other throttle-by-wire car I own. Can't even sense the clutch engagement. It just goes... :)

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Haven't noticed a bad pause on initial starting. Sorta doesn't creep in traffic well. Noticed that this morning in parking lot. People coming in and going out, tight lanes. I would not consider it an engineering marvel but it is 8 and a half foot long. It fits.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Consider it training for driving the freight liner. B) I just realized all our cars are automated transmissioned,the smart and volvo are kinda the same the ford focus is a twin clutch 6 speed and by far the most 'automatic' very nice. If you expect a slush box experience ..... well not gone happen they all are quirky.

The smart 'learned' us as to what it wants ,treat it like it wants and its smooth ,forget and it delivers a quick jerk. :wub: you need to anticipate the green just like in the truck.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind. It will be well. I will evolve, lol. Don't believe I want to go on a 300 mile trip with it unless it is riding on Freightliner.

Glenn put cruise control on it and hit the road. We don't hesitate to take off anywhere at any time with our Smart. I love our cruise.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

We did about 450 miles, on the Alaska Highway, in ours one day. I can tell you that, at 6'2" and on the wrong side of 300#, it was less than spacious on the passenger side. But, it wasn't the worst day I've ever spent in a vehicle.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Howdy!

I've looked at the new 2016 Smarts but have not driven one. I like the extra four inches of space. Would like the new upgraded transmission tcompared to our 2012 Smart we have now. Was told by sales man that they all come with cruse control now. The comfort of the new Smart would be nice as we have put over 60,000 miles on our 2012.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

The cruise control does make the long hauls in the smart so much nicer.

And Glen, IIRC, if you have paddle shifters on your steering wheel, I don't think you have cruise control, unless someone has added it. Pretty easy to do, especially if you know Brad! Hi Brad.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived