insurance problem

GlennWest

My CU carries part of price of Century. A loan. They require insurance. No one wants to issue policy until after conversation. Anyone ran into this. Seems I might have to get a short term commercial policy

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Good evening, Glenn.

I ran into the same problem with company after company, but finally found success with Jim Schecter at Blue Sky, 866.484.2583, ext. 532.

Good luck.

Regards,

Michael

2007 Volvo VNL 670

2007 NuWa HitchHiker Champagne

I went with progressive via Lazy Days RV in Tampa, FL. They didn't care whether it was singled, had a bed, or what hitch. Just needed to have a MH title and be strictly for personal use. I can pull any trailer I wish, as long as it's not a commercial use at that moment. I could pull my 25 ton drag, as long as it only had personal items on it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

You didn't get it. It is still listed as a commercial truck. It is going to welding shop for bed. I can't get it registered until conversion. Cu wants coverage now. Didn't foresee this.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

National General (Good Sams) insured my truck without any questions when I called them from Vegas upon purchase. No questions, just numbers. Now that I think about it, they insured my previous truck while it was still un-converted after I bought it at an auction in Indiana. Paid cash but wanted it insured before I left the yard.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Glenn;

When you started all of this, you stated you were going to pay cash for the HDT as no one would finance. You relayed you purchased the truck for less than $10k.

If the credit union owns the truck, that's what it is "a commercial truck". Title would have had to have been modified before transfer. Period. I'm not from your state, so I don't know the ins and outs of your laws. But I bet I'm on course about loan collateral.

Also, are you willing to pay $3k for 1 year of insurance on a $9k truck?

Just curious?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Truck was 21500. Credit Union offered to carry part of it at 1.9%. I decided to take them up on this and use my money on bed and Smart. Dealer stated not much money for just comp and collision for transportation policy. He will call me back morrow. Too late this evening.

You probably know this by now but commercial insurance on my son's commercial Freightliner is $1,000/month. You don't want to go there. Can you get a U Ship transport to haul it for you? I hauled a HDT Freightliner from Chicago to Philly a couple of years ago on my 30' gooseneck pulled by my chevy dually and charged $800. I got a lot of calls on the CB during that run. I did have to remove the stack to be legal.

Greg

Glenn;

You will have to carry liability. Might want to check that. Besides if something goes wrong with these HDT's going down the road, they can tear up a lot of stuff and kill many. Full coverage insurance is the only way to go in my opinion.

Now that the credit union is involved, I don't think title reassignment will be as smooth either.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

If the Truck is in repair or maintenance for longer than 30 days, it's presumed you will not be driving the vehicle during this this time. I believe all you need is Comp insurance. Same as any stored & financed vehicle.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

I'm with Curt, you have to have liability insurance. The law couldn't care less about collision and comp, they want liability. What state are you registering in? I insured mine through Farmers (Foremost) long before the conversion was done.

Larry, it left the dealer lot and got to the shop somehow. I paid cash for my truck and the dealer wouldn't even complete the paperwork without a copy of my DL and proof of liability insurance.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Yes, my son's truck has liability insurance included for 750k coverage and also load insurance which you won't need. The insurance company's are tough to deal with on commercial trucks. When my son bought his newer truck the insurance company forced him to carry full $1000/monthly coverage on the old truck even though it sat in the yard for 2 months with no plate on it trying to get it sold.

Greg

Not knowing Glen's complete situation I might disagree, just a little, with Big5er. Of course most dealerships could ask for your DL and Proof of Insurance prior to delivery but recently I just bought a new vehicle and the only Proof of Insurance required was the insurance I already had from my Insurer for the vehicles I already own, it's presumed your insurer will cover you for 30 days until you're able to obtain insurance for the new vehicle. Therefore, if this is true, one could drive the vehicle to a shop and have extensive work completed and never buy the insurance until the vehicle is ready to be driven again on public roads. Now in Glen's case his CU breathing down his neck to insure the vehicle to protect their asset. Therefore, if the CU is in agreement the Vehicle insurance only requires Comp Insurance because it's in repair, this would be the same as when a financed RV goes in or out of storage. Collision and Liability only covers the vehicle while the Vehicle is in service/Driven.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Jim can't help me. Everyone says after axle removed and bed on. Think I will tell CU to insure it. Thanks anyway.

Is is because of the state you are in? Blue Sky insured mine without a bed for 3 years prior to me getting a bed built. And I stayed tandem!

On edit: In Texas.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Jim at Blue Sky did ours too. Can't remember IF he asked about 2 or 3 axles, but we were already singled. Had to insure the 5er and the Pete was added on as the primary puller.

Farmers quoted me 2,700yr for a commercial auto policy on a Freight Shaker I was considering.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

It's Texas. I called Blue Sky, Farm (ones Jack uses), and my agent Twin Peaks. All same story. Can't help until converted. I assume I could remove hitch, install microwave and call it converted. I would have to miss a days work and drive 600 miles. Maybe two days. Insurance may be cheaper. Two week days is 1k plus cost of trip

Archived