Texas driver's license

Justyn Thyme

I am new here and I suspect this has been covered to death, but my question is a bit different from those I have read, so please bear with me.

I have had an Escapee Texas mailing address for nearly ten years. I have all of my credit cards and bank accounts listed at that address. I have a valid US passport and a valid Connecticut driver's license. Currently, I live in Germany and do not own a car here or in the US. I am 65 years ord.

My questions: If I appear at a Texas driver's license office (especially the one in Livingston itself) with the above documents but no car ownership (only a rental car), will I be able to get a Texas driver's license? If not, what additional documents will I need? Or is it simply not possible? For how long do they give a TX driver's license to someone my age? Is it possible to renew a TX driver's license via mail from outside TX?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is repetitive. I have to make a lot of decisions very quickly and I appreciate your indulgence.

You have a Texas address, a passport and a valid Connecticut DL. You'll need your Social Security Card along with your other documents. Birth certificate would also be nice, but Passport will work instead. No, you don't need to have a car (if asked, tell them you don't own one yet). Assuming your just getting a regular Class C license, you can renew that after 6 years online. At 12 yrs you need to appear in person to get new photos & have your eyes checked. Nothing special for 65 yr olds (or those of us just a few years older). :D

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

While I do believe that Barb is correct, I would still contact the Livingston office and check, just to verify things.

For Driver's License Information:
Livingston Driver License Office
1735 N. Washington
Livingston, TX. 77351
936-327-6806

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'm not so sure a SSN is now required. I seem to recall someone saying they have dropped that requirement. But, like Kirk, I would recommend making a phone call to the Livingston tax office. My experience is that they will do whatever possible to help you. Even from Germany the cost of the call will answer a lot of questions. They will give you the 'correct' answer rather than us all speculating!!!

regards

It is my understanding that you are required to show a Social Security Card but only one time.

If you have shown a Social Security Card they will record that fact and you will not be required to show it again.

That was what I was told last summer when I renewed in person in Cleveland, Texas after 12 years. Good Luck

It is my understanding that you are required to show a Social Security Card but only one time.

If you have shown a Social Security Card they will record that fact and you will not be required to show it again.

That was what I was told last summer when I renewed in person in Cleveland, Texas after 12 years. Good Luck

That is still the case - did ours just a couple of weeks ago in Livingston. Had to show SS card and passports (chose passports in lieu of our archaic looking, fragile birth certificates). Also had to present two bills/statements (not health care related) with our Livingston address and both of our names. They are no longer interested - in the least - in your Escapees mail card...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks everyone. When you presented bills/statements, did you have to show an envelope along with it? I ask because all of my bank statements and bill are online. I rarely receive snail mail these days. I could easily print out the statements and bills, but they would be computer printouts. I will call that office, but I tried calling a number given to me by Escapees and could not get to an actual person. I'll try again.

. When you presented bills/statements, did you have to show an envelope along with it? I ask because all of my bank statements and bill are online. I rarely receive snail mail these days. I could easily print out the statements and bills, but they would be computer printouts. I will call that office, but I tried calling a number given to me by Escapees and could not get to an actual person. I'll try again.

While I'm quite sure that the print out of the statement alone will be fine as most business envelopes don't have an address but show it through a clear window, it certainly seems that way, but it would be an assumption on my part to respond. I wonder if it may have been that the office was closed when you were calling?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Interesting....I'm not sure we ever get anything that has BOTH or names on them. It is only one, as far as I can tell....and I just looked at most of the things we get. We certainly did not have to do that when we became Texans....

I renewed my Class A a couple years ago in person (new pic required) and only showed my passport. Different situation, but just FYI.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The Livingston DMV office is a small one as I recall and if they are busy the phone may take a lower priority than people in the office.

I just renewed my Class A last spring early and I don't recall being asked for any other ID than my current License. I renewed in Amarillo and it was a fairly busy office.

Thanks everyone. When you presented bills/statements, did you have to show an envelope along with it? I ask because all of my bank statements and bill are online. I rarely receive snail mail these days. I could easily print out the statements and bills, but they would be computer printouts. I will call that office, but I tried calling a number given to me by Escapees and could not get to an actual person. I'll try again.

Kirk is correct - envelopes do not show addresses any more. We only presented the statements. As for the "both names" comment, we took paperwork that would suffice for both of us.

Bigjim - you state that you were renewing, so that is the reason you weren't asked for any other forms of ID. This thread is about getting a Texas license for the first time (in my case, for the first time in about 30 years...).

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Interesting....I'm not sure we ever get anything that has BOTH or names on them. It is only one, as far as I can tell....and I just looked at most of the things we get. We certainly did not have to do that when we became Texans....

I renewed my Class A a couple years ago in person (new pic required) and only showed my passport. Different situation, but just FYI.

We renewed ours in Tyler 2 years ago and didn't show anything besides handing them the current driver's license.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We renewed ours in Tyler 2 years ago and didn't show anything besides handing them the current driver's license.

Barb

Barb,

The statements didn't have to have both of our names on them - we just had them and they sufficed for both of us. Everyone else is talking about renewing Texas licenses - I'm only talking about applying the first time...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Sorry, yes for applying the first time you will need documents as listed on Texas DPS website.

Remember that your vehicle registration will suffice as one of the two items need to prove Texas residency, as does your vehicle insurance policy. Those two are enough right there and both can be in place before you get to Texas to get your DL.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Livingston for a couple of weeks and have almost all the documents but my ss card is filed away with other things at my son's house in California!
Never thought I would need it. I know the number by heart of course.
Wonder if a tax return document would suffice if it showed the number?
I went today to the SS office in Lufkin just to find out they close at noon on Wednesdays (today). Of course it was 1:30 when I got there.
That was a waste of a 100 mile round trip!
I am going to mail-off for a new one but was hoping to get this all done so I am legal if I get pulled over.
This is going to force me to extend my stay
Trying to do the right thing.
Just thinking out loud.

:(

Kimberly Flores, Trail Boss and Wagon Master
Jesse Flores, Coxswain, Shotgun Shipmate
Wagon mates: Cinnamon, Mini Schnauzer
2017 F350 Lariat Dually
2018 Keystone Fuzion 371 Toy Hauler
LovetheRVlife.com

Any of the following documents will be accepted to verify a SSN. The document presented can be expired or unexpired but must have the individual’s full SSN printed on it. Documentation must be unaltered originals, not copies.

• Social Security card
  • Pilot license
  • Military identification (active, reserve or dependent status)
  • Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE).
  • DD-214
  • Medicare or Medicaid card
  • Health insurance card
  • Certified college or university transcript
  • IRS form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement
  • Form 1099-MISC
  • Pay stub (stub must include name and SSN)

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Barbara, they must have relaxed the SS card requirement. Last time we moved back to Texas, the drivers license office would not back down on the requirement for the SS card. NOTHING else would do.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Back in 2000 when I "moved" to TX they wanted a SS card...so I gave them my original card. They would not accept it. It was one of those old cardboard cards that they issued in the 40's and 50's. They wanted a "newer" card. I had to cause a little ruckus to get them to accept that old cardboard card. BTW, it was pristine...having been stored in a safe since being issued.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It seems that each DPS and DVM office has their own rules. never mind what is written.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I have probably been to at least a dozen in my driving history in Texas. I think as happens everywhere you get some individuals that mostly out of ignorance or stringent interpetation of requirements cause us to get different answers. The one with Jack that didn't want to accept his SS card is a good example. It could be they had never seen one those type cards. I may be good example as it seems to be inferred that newer ones are totally different which is something I was unaware of.

bigjim, I was being silly. I assume that iceman meant DMV, since a DVM would be a veterinarian.

I've lived in Texas all my life, except for a military hitch. I've never been to a DMV office, although I understand that there are several around the State. Most of us just deal with the County Tax Assessor-Collector to register and renew our vehicles. They do have a direct phone line to the Texas DMV and should be encouraged to use it when there is a question about a vehicle registration. To my knowledge, they have nothing to do with issuing driver's license.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

It seems that each DPS and DVM office has their own rules. never mind what is written.

Ken

Which is why I love my smart phone; bookmark appropriate page and bring it up & in their face ask "why is this listed on the website?"

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived