Texas driver's license

Justyn Thyme

It took us 4 days to get our Texas DL back in Dec. 2011. Went in to the New Braunfels office on a Monday afternoon with all the proper papers. Clerk didn't like our Escapee address. Said it was a PMB and wasn't legal. I called Escapees on Tuesday and they called the clerks supervisor. The supervisor had to contact someone in Austin and called us late Wednesday afternoon. She said to go back to the office on Thursday morning and get our DL using our Escapee address. They gave us a letter to carry stating the Escapee address was a legal Texas address. This is a condensed version of what went on and it was very frustrating. We had heard how "easy" it was to do.

Jeff :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

How many "DVM" offices have you ever been to?

DMV or actually county clerks office for vehicle registration. Generally we have better luck at the offices in the smaller cities.

We did not have an issue with the address being an Escapees address. I told them to just put it down as an apartment number .

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

SKP On the Go, on 04 Dec 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

We had heard how "easy" it was to do.

Certainly, if you had done it in Livingston, it would have been no problem. However, when we upgraded our Texas driver's license to a non-CDL Class A way back when, we did it in Van Horn and the person there didn't give us any grief about our address being a mail forwarding address. Maybe it was because we already had a Texas driver's license with that address on it.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 4 weeks later...

Is there an advantage to a Texas driver's license?

There are certain advantages and disadvantages to Tx residency. With the residency comes the license. Lots of info available on the forum and elsewhere to help you make the right decision for you.

It seems the 3 most popular fulltimer states for residency are Tx, SD and Fla.

Is there an advantage to a Texas driver's license?

This can be difficult to respond to as I'm not quite sure what you are really asking. If you mean an advantage to having a Texas domicile that is much more than just a TX driver's license. For many people there are advantages to TX over most other states but some find SD, FL, or even the state they lived in before going on the road to be the best for them. I strongly suggest that you start the decision by first reading this article from Escapee's Magazine that addresses choosing a state of domicile. There are many things to consider when you choose to change from where you presently reside.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you here and we will do all that we can to help and support you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

"There are many things to consider when you choose to change from where you presently reside." Very true! As we started the process of going full-time, we were pretty sure that we would become Texans. As we checked into the big three (FL, SD, TX) we realized that SD fit us better, so that's where we went.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

It is also my understanding that the Social Security card having to be produced when you get a DL

is a Federal requirment and it was first inacted to prevent truck drivers from having more then one license.

I only had to show my social security card one time and they told me at the Texas DPS office that they record the fact that

I have shown it to them and they will not ask to see it again. I have renewed my TDL two times since then and I was not asked to see

my social security card.

All laws are subject to change. My experience is that only the IRS can ask/demand your SSN. But here's a web site that goes a bit deeper. http://www.identityhawk.com/Who-Can-Lawfully-Request-My-Social-Security-Number

It may answer a few questions.

Here's one more site. https://www.allclearid.com/blog/when-you-can-say-no-to-providing-your-social-security-number

It's easier to do a 30 second Google than read 'miss information' on a forum. :wacko:

regards

Archived