Hayes Brake Controller Install - AHFHU

Jim Gell

I know this has been covered in the Resource Guide and multiple forum threads, but I need a bit more "Additional Help for the Hard of Understanding".

My brake controller came with a check valve. Do I correctly understand I should toss it?

I tilted out my dash gauge panel and I see air lines. There is a black one that goes to what I think is a brake activation gauge. Gauge reads 0-150 and dials up as I press the brake pedal. Am I correct to understand that is the proper line to tee off to supply the Hayes brake controller?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Jim,

Just sent a message to someone who has the same gauge and installed a Hayes last year at the ECR. Hopefully he can respond to your question soon.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks, Carl!

2016 smart car

Jim, that should work for you. On the older Gen 1 trucks it Tee' into the brake light switch.

T'ing into the application line should be the same. Easy way to tell is to unplug from the gauge and plug in the controller. Air up the truck and see if the controller knob moves with the brake pedal being applied. If it does then Tee the line and install.

Not the guy Carl is refering too.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim,

I installed a Hayes controller at the 2014 ECR in Crossville, TN. That black, 1/4" air line (to the brake application gauge) is the one that I tee'd into for the Hayes activation--both the foot brake pedal and the Johnson Bar activate the brake lights and trailer brakes. My Volvo is 2005 model and I wasn't willing to take the dash apart; so, I spliced into the line in the engine compartment and routed the new, Hayes controller air line through the bulkhead. [Oh, I still have that check valve...just in case someone needs one.]

I mounted the Hayes controller unit at the right side of the steering column, since that's where the previous controller was mounted. And, I had to add a 90° elbow at the controller so that the air line wouldn't interfere with my feet operating the accelerator and brake pedals.

If I can be of any help to you, send me a message.

Raymond (G8r.Ray; i.e., Gator Ray) & Janet
Grinnin' ear-to-ear, since 2012-03-14

2005 Volvo 630 Motor Coach,

VE D12 465hp/1650lb-ft, 12 sp FreedomLine (2-Peddle),
217in WB, smart car deck/bed by Toterman, Pressure Pro,
PowerTank, Crossfire (dual tire pressure equilizer)

2006 smart forTwo Passion (450, Gen I), Ruby Red/Silver
2008 smart forTwo Passion (451, Gen II), Blue/Black
2009 DRV Mobile Suites 36RS3

This sounds like something I can do. Thanks Jim, Crazy, and Ray

2016 smart car

Jim, you can tee into any line that shows brake pressure on application. The "application gauge" line certainly meets that criteria. As do others. I've only assisted in two installs...and we used that line in one of them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Like jack said.

On mine we put the tee in at the brake light pressure switch. On a peterbilt the switch is on the floor behind a kick panel that's behind the brake pedal. I bet Volvo is the same.

Also I have the Max Brake but hook up should be the same2CC921D9-0D62-4045-97D8-14BE094F4C82_zps

This is my switch you can just see the air line In front of it.

I took the picture For the purpose of rewiring it sorry doesn't really show the airlines but it's what I have on file. But at least shows you what it looks like on a Peterbilt sure a Volvo is probably the same.

Jim you don't give yourself enough credit. I have seen some of your work and you are very capable. Just don't be afraid. You are asking a lot of questions and if you make a mistake we have plenty of time before the rally to get you straightened out. It is not a problem, it is a learning experience. We have all had them.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Jim you don't give yourself enough credit. I have seen some of your work and you are very capable. Just don't be afraid. You are asking a lot of questions and if you make a mistake we have plenty of time before the rally to get you straightened out. It is not a problem, it is a learning experience. We have all had them.

Yeah Jim, what can go wrong? The worst thing that could happen is if you hook it up backwards the truck will go faster when you step on the brake, right? :D

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I would prefer to minimize the on the road "learning experiences". I should be OK with this one. But, like Ron said, if I do mess it up there will be time to get it right before we drive to Hutch. I am in middle of a couple other projects, and expect to get to this one late next week. I'll come back and let everyone know how it went.

I didn't see a confirmation in this thread that I do not need the two way check valve. But that is my understanding, and I am going with it unless someone says otherwise.

Thank you all for the help.

2016 smart car

You do not need the check valve in your application Jim.

The check valve is for the instructions...... IF you Tee'd into both the front and rear airlines at the same point, you would need the check valve to keep from back feeding one or the other brake systems.

Your not doing that.... no check valve needed.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

That is why the Resource Guide recommends using the brake light switch tube to make the tap.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Mark,

My lines look a bit different than this resource guide Brakesmart Install photo. I am a little confused because my truck already has a tee where it appears one was added to install a Brakesmart in that photo, and I have not added a new T yet. The line that comes off my tee goes to my Brake Application Gauge. So if I am interpreting the Brakesmart installation instructions in the Resource Guide correctly, it seems like it would make no difference to install a second tee in the brake light switch tube, or put the tee in the Brake Application Gauge line. While I am not 100% sure I know which of the two switches in the photo is the brake light switch, I am confident I can ID the brake application gauge line.

Please note that I am not complaining about the Resource Guide. I would not have attempted this HDT venture without the magnificent resources shared by the experienced members of this forum, like yourself. I would like to contribute to those resources as I am able to. When I am done, I will post a link to photos of my install with labels on the lines and devices right in the picture. If you decide to publish my submission in the Resource Guide, you will need to be sure it is right though. The last thing I would want to do is pass on bad information on something as important as brakes.

So I can label it, what is the device in the Brakesmart install photo that looks like a switch to the right and behind the tee? What would happen if I mistakenly tapped that line? As Phil suggests, would it make me go faster when I press the brakes?

Jim

2016 smart car

Jim,

I am no expert by a long shot but G8r.Ray was the one I messaged and I see his response. He tied into the brake application gauge and this is going to give you a proportional reading which is what the Hayes transducer wants to see. So saying that is what I would tee into if I were installing since you can definitely trace it and you should be just fine. BTW I do not know what the other thing is behind the tee. Hopefully you will get an answer.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

So I can label it, what is the device in the Brakesmart install photo that looks like a switch to the right and behind the tee?

It is a separate switch on a separate air line that senses the parking brake application and turns on Daytime Running Lights among other things.

The brake application gauges are in the main brake line (red, green) reading the separate circuits. The Hayes should be connected to the brake light air line as that is the combination of the two service lines.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

If your looking for the brake light switch. And want to make sure you have the correct one.

On a peterbilt like the one I posted. You should see wires coming off both sides. Put a test light on one side key on and it will be hot.

Put the test light on the other side and it won't light up until you press on the brake.

The brake application gauges are in the main brake line (red, green) reading the separate circuits. The Hayes should be connected to the brake light air line as that is the combination of the two service lines.

I think on my truck, the brake application gauge is connected by a black air line and my red and green air lines connect to the front and rear brake air pressure gauges that show how much air pressure is available in reserve, not what is being used.

Even if it's obvious, I hate to divulge my incompetence publicly, but I don't understand "The Hayes should be connected to the brake light air line as that is the combination of the two service lines." There seems to be somewhat of a consensus that I can use the black line that goes to my application gauge, so that is what I will do unless someone waves me off, in which case I will delay the install until I get the Nat'l Rally.

2016 smart car

Jim,

When I connected my Maxbrake, I took the black line loose and then had my wife step on the brake and was looking to see if the airflow increased with more brake pressure (which it did). I don't have either a trolley or application gauge. Do you have a trailer brake hand control (trolley brake or Johnson Bar) in your truck? And if so when you use it alone does the brake application gauge register it's application? If the gauge registers both treadle (foot) brake and trailer brake then it would be an adequate line to tap into for your Hayes. If you prefer to wait until the rally, I would be happy to help you and I'm sure others would also.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Jim,

Here are some pics of my tee where I sent it into the cab.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

I have both an application gauge and a trolley brake. When I pull the Johnson Bar handle the application gauge shows the pressure being applied. I don't see how I can go wrong using the black line going to application gauge. Does that sound like anyone's famous last words?

Jim

2016 smart car

I can't say I would wave you off. But I do know your going to get the most accurate and fastest response from the airlines at the brake light switch seeing how that's at the footpedal where you're applying the brakes.

If you're unsure as to what line at the brake light switch you should be using take suits advice.

one line will have constant air pressure as long as you have Air in your tanks. The other will only have air when you push on the brake.

On my truck the airline was marked but that's a peterbilt.2CC921D9-0D62-4045-97D8-14BE094F4C82_zps

You can just see the splice I put in mine in front of the brake light switch.

Carl,

I have both an application gauge and a trolley brake. When I pull the Johnson Bar handle the application gauge shows the pressure being applied. I don't see how I can go wrong using the black line going to application gauge. Does that sound like anyone's famous last words?

Jim

Jim,

I vote to use it!!

And that's my final answer.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Jim - just a quick mention of the importance of using the right T. It should be a DOT Air Brake Approved T and not one you pick up at the hardware store. While it is now behind me, I learned this the hard way when the wrong coupler blew apart. Fortunately it was only the line to the fan clutch.

Being a Prime member of Amazon I order a lot of stuff from them (too much, actually). Here is a DOT approved "T" for 1/4" air brake line. T #1 . It is different than the hardware store variety. Amazon also shows the Eaton DOT approved T fitting that uses compression furrels rather than the push-on connector shown below. Both are around $10 with free two day shipping for Prime members. Don't know of cost of shipping for non-prime members but suspect it is a USPS Priority mail stamp.

81N0fulr9hL._SL1500_.jpg

OR

81NUyYjQWjL._SL1500_.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived