Hayes Brake Controller Install - AHFHU

Jim Gell

RandyA, I bought the push to connect one at the top of your post. I also bought an L with a 1/4 inch tube push to connect on one side and a 1/8" NPT to thread into the Hayes Brake Controller on the other end. Amazon online description says it's DOT approved, but the part is not stamped DOT like the brass T is. Does that elbow look acceptable?

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

RandyA, I bought the push to connect one at the top of your post. I also bought an L with a 1/4 inch tube push to connect on one side and a 1/8" NPT to thread into the Hayes Brake Controller on the other end. Amazon online description says it's DOT approved, but the part is not stamped DOT like the brass T is. Does that elbow look acceptable?

Well, I don't believe I am qualified to say if it is acceptable or not. But, being a Parker fitting with brass and nylon construction and a DOT part number my knee jerk is you are OK. I was just pokin' my nose in earlier as a reminder that using the wrong type of fitting for the nylon air lines in our trucks can result in a shut-down, or worse. BTW - I used a Hayes controller for about two years. No issues what so ever. It just didn't tell me Happy Birthday and give me the day, date and time like the Brake Smart does ;) . Hope your install goes OK (it should).

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Jim,

Parker and Eaton-Weatherhead seem to be some of the "better" DOT connectors in either push to connect or compression. Just note in the compression fittings the ferrule for nylon airlines is not the same as you would use for copper so if you need to undo and reconnect you would need a new ferrule.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks for everyone's help. I think I have enough answers to proceed. I will be back to either say it works, or I need more help.

Jim

2016 smart car

Jim, I had my dash apart this past Sunday chasing another air leak. While I was rooting around, I took note of the application gauge airline and where it terminated into the air system. Your fine teeing into that line.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The tractor protection valve (TP-5 only) already has that double check valve inside it so you don't need to use it on the brake sw or application lines. You'd only use it if you are coming from the two sides of the treadle valve. Nobody has done that here yet that I've seen so it isn't really anything to worry about.

It's been like 5 years and I still have a hard time with the Parker-Legris merger. Amazon doesn't appear to help. What's shown in the Amazon link is some de-branded photo of a Parker push connect. That's not at all what a Legris fitting is, and the part number in the description is a genuine Legris number. So anyways if you got what is shown as the part # you are good. What came in the mail looks like this? That's a Legris DOT.

5e06b3-909758046_1_160.jpg

We just bought my FIL, who has macular degeneration sp?, an articulating LED lamp with a 2.25X magnifying lense. Testing the lamp, I grabbed the fitting that I did not think had DOT stamped on it. Yup, there it was stamped on the narrow collar where the tube is inserted. Could not see it without the lighted magnifyer.

2016 smart car

Archived