Commissary's being attacked again

Cyberdave

The DoD is at it again.

http://www.military.com/military-report/possible-repeal-of-cost-plus-5-percent-pricing.html?ESRC=mr0810.nl

It's viable to them since they're not supporting a family on an E2's pay.

For those that believe that the commissary is no bargain, this will clear it up.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Officials have drafted a replacement formula that would allow prices to vary from store to store to meet a new twin goal: reducing taxpayer support for commissaries while maintaining still attractive savings for patrons

And this is unreasonable? :huh:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It sounds like folks like me that got assigned to one high cost area after another would get severely shortchanged over the rules now.

From the article linked to by the short article above:

Critics of the plan, including suppliers and manufacturers of commissary products, say it would cut shopper savings overall and hit particularly hard those patrons who live in high-cost areas of the country.

That’s because setting grocery prices at, for example, 15 percent below competitive offbase retailers would impact shoppers differently if assigned to high-cost San Diego than to low-cost Fort Sill, Okla. Military members of equal rank and years served get the same basic pay regardless of location. If grocery prices are set not by cost but tied to local prices, the San Diego shopper would see a higher proportion of pay go to groceries than the shopper at Fort Sill where food prices, on and off base, are lower.

Defense officials contend, however, that through variable pricing shopper savings can be preserved and stores can operate with business-like efficiency. That, in turn, would allow cuts in the $1.4 billion annual appropriation of the Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA), an announced goal of the department for the past couple of years.

I'd have been in real trouble paying near local prices for food at two assignments when I was a low rank without the commissary. Low ranking folks with families are going to really suffer if they get assignments to high cost areas.

Of course there is always the option of paying a COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) to offset the higher cost area. I've experienced these COLSa for housing costs and I can tell you that they help but are usually low when implemented and then shrink badly as costs increase but no additional funding is provided. Again the low rankers with families really suffer.

If we want a military composed of folks that have no other option or are so patriotic they will endure any hardship to serve we are headed the right way. Sadly there are going to be a whole lot more of the first group than the second.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

The DoD is at it again.

http://www.military.com/military-report/possible-repeal-of-cost-plus-5-percent-pricing.html?ESRC=mr0810.nl

It's viable to them since they're not supporting a family on an E2's pay.

For those that believe that the commissary is no bargain, this will clear it up.

If you are an E-2, you shouldnt have a family.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

:rolleyes:;)

Well said Stan.

Dave, thanks for posting for the others.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Junior enlisted probably do have problems even today, but over all the military pay package today is much better than it was when most of us were in. Paul probably would agree with a chief I worked for in my early years. The chief told us "If the Navy thinks that you need a wife they will issue you one!" :rolleyes:

This subject is a lot like suggesting some sort of containment plan for the costs of Social Security. Everyone wants the federal budget cut, but keep increasing the areas where I get benefit and cut some other people! :wacko:

Never going to happen. It will never get out of conference. The Republican Congress is not going to allow the White House ie The Defense Department to do anything that is going to hurt military personnel. They are not going to allow out of pocket Tricare costs to go up either.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

If you are an E-2, you shouldnt have a family.

WTF Paul? Really?

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

While I disagree with the tone that I believe Paul intended to make that posting in I do believe that the vast majority of young men/women who join the military as E1/E2's with a family are not there for Patriotic reasons. They joined because they had no other choice. They are generally under educated (not uneducated) and they have no skills to speak of and come from lower income families. They made a mistake in life by having children young and they think this is the way out. I am not talking about having a husband/wife I am talking about having kids.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. They can close them. Most people are addicted to the psychology of it being a benefit. I never saved money even back in the 70. Once I realized I could sop smart on the economy with coupons etc I rarely walked in the door of one. Now only if we are at a famcamp and I need an essential like milk or bread at the last minute. I don't need a lot of name brand items that even in the commissary are still more expensive than a good store brand on the economy. I don't need to spend $9 a pound for cold cuts just because they only carry Boars Head or some other expensive brand.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Hey Nan

Do you know where Teddy got that from? He got that from the 4th Chapter of the Book of Philippians in The New Testament. That is our favorite saying. We even had a carving made that has that saying.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Nevermind.

Stephen & Karen and our six boys, ages 21, 21, 19, 17, 14, & 11
Stephen - Military retiree (as of summer 2012) & current DOI employee (Big Bend National Park)
Karen - Homeschooling stay-at-home mom & veteran
San Antonio, Texas

Fulltimed May 2013 - July 2014 (yes, all eight of us!)
Open Range "Rolling Thunder" (H396RGR - fifth wheel toy hauler bunkhouse) - SOLD
Ford F-350 diesel dually - for the camper
Ford E-350 fifteen passenger van - for the crew

Our unfinished travel blog: http://coach-and-six.blogspot.com/

Sad Paul Stough; Very sad! I respect every young person today to make a strong committment to the military! This world is in such turmoil now; even here again in the US. I am very proud of all our Veterans. Anyone who is willing to sign his or her life to the US Government even at the cost of knowing they may never return to their homeland again is a HERO in my honest opinion!

I also hope that whomever oversees the commisaries will smarten up and offer more average or lower cost goods to the consumer. I spent my share $$$$,s at the post exchange when I was in Germany until I learned I could get more for my buck in the German Markets.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

The commissary here keeps cutting down what they carry. They just closed down the deli for good last week. After paying the sur charge I don't think I save a significant amount but the closest supermarket is 35 miles away. Besides cutting the commissary they shut down the post theater last year, the gas station (now only self serve) and two of the restaurants. I'm sure the bowling alley will be next, its sad to see especially being so far from the closest town.

truckntrailer1.jpg

2006 Peterbilt 387 -2013 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

they shut down the post theater last year,

Theaters were shuttered because movies come in the new digital format. Commercial theaters changed over to the format, but it was just too expensive for DoD to do it for the military. Neither AAFES, NEX, or the various military services squadrons could afford it. Nowadays about the only things that happen at theaters is commander's call and maybe promotion ceremonies.

I agree with Nana. I don't think commissaries are much of a benefit. Didn't use them when I was a young, married E-3 (who had plenty of opportunities for college right out of HS, as opposed to DJW's characterization) and I didn't use them when I retired after 28 yrs. In my experience, the people who live on base use them, while those who live off base do not. Dorm dwellers seem to be more concerned about cars and 24" rims for their cars than they do about ANY military benefits. Yes, I had to push, poke, and prod some of them to just go sign up for free college classes. If it isn't attached to a game console and big screen tv, they don't care.

Never going to happen. It will never get out of conference.

That would be my guess also. It probably doesn't really matter what any of us think as this is a much bigger political game. The keep cutting the military budgets but won't allow the military leadership to choose where to spend their money.

It sounds like folks like me that got assigned to one high cost area after another would get severely shortchanged over the rules now.

From the article linked to by the short article above:

I'd have been in real trouble paying near local prices for food at two assignments when I was a low rank without the commissary. Low ranking folks with families are going to really suffer if they get assignments to high cost areas.

Of course there is always the option of paying a COLA (Cost of Living Allowance) to offset the higher cost area. I've experienced these COLSa for housing costs and I can tell you that they help but are usually low when implemented and then shrink badly as costs increase but no additional funding is provided. Again the low rankers with families really suffer.

If we want a military composed of folks that have no other option or are so patriotic they will endure any hardship to serve we are headed the right way. Sadly there are going to be a whole lot more of the first group than the second.

Well put Stan.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

Nevermind.

Hard to bite down without drawing blood eh? ;)

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

Hey NanDo you know where Teddy got that from? He got that from the 4th Chapter of the Book of Philippians in The New Testament. That is our favorite saying. We even had a carving made that has that saying.Dennis

I didn't know that. Thanks for the education.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Kirk

Honestly the only way you can tell the difference between "The Political Leadership" and the "Military Leadership" of this country is the Military Folks have uniforms on otherwise there is no difference. Omar Bradley died on the 8th of April 1981 and with him died the really last Military Leader with any ethical backbone. With the very rare exception most military leaders in the ranks of 06 and above today are nothing more than politicians in uniform. I would guess the last several "Chairman's of the Joint Chiefs of Staff" would have a very hard time looking in the mirror.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Theaters were shuttered because movies come in the new digital format. Commercial theaters changed over to the format, but it was just too expensive for DoD to do it for the military. Neither AAFES, NEX, or the various military services squadrons could afford it. Nowadays about the only things that happen at theaters is commander's call and maybe promotion ceremonies.

Theaters are not run by DoD and haven't been been in many years. The Army & Air Force theaters are run by AAFES. Not sure about other posts, but at Ft. Knox the theater only plays movies on the weekends. If you wish you can check the Ft Knox movie schedule here. These are first run movies.

It looks like there are 35 theaters around the country that they are operating today. Looking at the internet, the Navy still has 37 of them in operation as well.

Theaters are not run by DoD and haven't been been in many years. The Army & Air Force theaters are run by AAFES. Not sure about other posts, but at Ft. Knox the theater only plays movies on the weekends. If you wish you can check the Ft Knox movie schedule here. These are first run movies.

It looks like there are 35 theaters around the country that they are operating today. Looking at the internet, the Navy still has 37 of them in operation as well.

I realize theaters are not operated by DoD, however, AAFES wasn't going to foot the bill to upgrade movie equipment. The only way it would happen is if DoD provided some funds, either thru MWR or other programs of that nature.

Good to see some bases still have theaters, but I don't see the point. There are well over 35 installations in the CONUS. And like I said, the cost to upgrade the equipment to the new format is cost prohibitive, hence the closing of so many base theaters. OCONUS I can understand since flicks can be seen in English and without subtitles.

Archived