Volvo D12 Boost Sensor Replace Results

RandyA

Bobtail?

No - pulling a 37 foot 15K fiver, 280 gallons of fuel (at start), golf cart on deck and mucho gear. Total weight was (guessing) at least 35K. Pic in signature file pretty much shows it all.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, got me thinking. I would like to get above the 7.2 mpg I get now. As soon as I perfect my Ion exchange catalytic frombulator [iECB], I'll be one up on Randy :ph34r: and having to drain diesel off every few hundred miles. :rolleyes: Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Well, just great!! Now I have FIVE "next project" s to get done on my truck. I wonder which "next" one I will do first?

I know the feeling, when I "semi" retired" I ended up not working for about 6 months, then working 80 hours a week for about 6 months. That should let you know how smart I am! :blink: Now, between maintaining a 45 year old S&B, two ranch/farms, 3 tractors, 2 Seadoos, 1 boat, 2 jeeps, 1 dodge PU, 3 mowers, 1 camper, 2 OLD bodies, and the Volvo, I'm not sure if there are enough hours in a week. We thank the Lord everyday for getting up though. Now, because of RandyA's post, it looks like I'll have to give that sensor a try. RandyA , some of you're projects amaze me.

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Charlie, let me know when the ECB is available!

For now, I just changed out that sensor and it was pretty easy. And I know that the old one was the original - painted the same color as the motor.

On the 2001 there are 7 screws on the outside plastic, and 3 on the inside plastic. As Brad says, 3 zips will do it.

Took if for a quick run bobtail to grab some of the $2.07 fuel, and it did feel like it had a little more pep! Will see later this month when hitched up.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Rocky,

Where did you get your sensor? I saw Charlie's post about the $49.00 one.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Paid more than that. I'll have RickW post location.

Ok thanks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I understand Jacks concern about an aftermarket part that is pretty critical to engine performance but I'm willing to be a test dummy of the $49.00 sensor [if I ever get it]. I'm sometimes slow to replace a part that I'm not sure is causing a problem. I'll let you know the good or bad of it, though. Now, if it doesn't help, I'll be wondering if the new sensor was any good !?!? :wacko: Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I have to admit I agree with Jack's concerns about after/gray market parts and equipment. Personally my luck has not been the best with after/gray market parts and equipment. I have experienced shorter life spans and quality issues. I know others have the completely opposite experience but just has not been my luck.

Rocky and Sheri have been visiting here for a while and testing out our new RV pad. We have spent most evenings sitting on the veranda, swelling beer, killing brain cells and solving the problems of the world. This topic about the sensor has come up on a few occasions (between world solving issues) and once Randy posted his most recent results we both felt it was time to replace the sensors in both our trucks to see if it solves our falling fuel economy issues. At the very least we feel that replacing a sensor that may and is most likely original equipment will not hurt anything.

I am a procrastinator and my sensor is still sitting on the work bench. Rocky on the other hand has already changed his, under my supervision of course. I am sure that between my supervision and chewing on his ear as he attempted to work, the time it took to replace the sensor was extended two fold. Rocky's sensor appears to be the original sensor. The sensor was painted the same as the block including the wire harness. His had a lot of soot and there is a hole in his original sensor that was also full of soot. With over 700k miles on his truck we don't see how replacing the sensor could hurt. Rocky plans on heading out later this week and heading east before the Rally. So he might have around 2k miles on the new sensor by the Rally. Looking forward to hearing his results.

I on the other hand will have the sensor changed before the rally (maybe the night before leaving town .... like I said procrastinator) but it is only about 400 miles to Hutchinson from Dallas. So might not be enough miles to know anything by then. Hopefully we will make a trip between now and the rally but no solid plans as of right now.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Rick this sounds like a good time to get Rocky to change your sensor also since he is there and now knows how to do it. Unless he is to busy installing the cruise control in his Smart.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

So, Rick, are your sensors OEM or are they aftermarket. I'd like to put in an OEM but have not priced them yet. If the cost difference is $1000 then I think I know the answer, but if we are talking $100 difference then I'd do the OEM. If that sensor fails you will have a bad experience. Of course, the next swap will be quick. :)

I'm going to swap mine since I don't see a sensor swap in my maintenance log.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The part Charlie ordered is manufactured by Feixu Auto Parts. Rick does your part have a manufacturer name on it? After my experience with Dexter Nev-R-Lubes OEM replacements may all be Chinese manufacture.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

So, Rick, are your sensors OEM or are they aftermarket. I'd like to put in an OEM but have not priced them yet. If the cost difference is $1000 then I think I know the answer, but if we are talking $100 difference then I'd do the OEM. If that sensor fails you will have a bad experience. Of course, the next swap will be quick. :)

I'm going to swap mine since I don't see a sensor swap in my maintenance log.

The part Charlie ordered is manufactured by Feixu Auto Parts. Rick does your part have a manufacturer name on it? After my experience with Dexter Nev-R-Lubes OEM replacements may all be Chinese manufacture.

I can not say for sure. The original part pulled from Rocky's truck did not have any markings and neither does the new one. The only marking on the packaging was a sticker on the plastic bag with the OEM part number. Only marking on anything.

Advantage Truck Center who also carries the sensor online and claims to be OEM is the same price as OTR Performance and no markings on the parts from the photos Advantage has online.

Rick this sounds like a good time to get Rocky to change your sensor also since he is there and now knows how to do it. Unless he is to busy installing the cruise control in his Smart.

Brad

He has worked on several projects both Truck and RV while here but the Smart CC is still on the "to do" list. You will have to check with him to see if he is going to try to tackle it before moving on. We are both in agreement that if you could do it, how hard could it be? :P:lol:

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

We are both in agreement that if you could do it, how hard could it be? :P:lol:

Ouch. Now that WAS funny, but Ouch! :D

Brad I would never talk about you like that...or at least I wouldn't put it in writing like that. After alI I might need your help greasing my suspension or something again.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

post-15063-0-47050400-1440618883_thumb.jpgpost-15063-0-47050400-1440618883_thumb.jpgGot mine replaced today. It seems like it always takes me ALOT longer to do these jobs than other folks. One of the main reasons is bifocals! :blink: Another reason is I find other projects to do while I'm working on this one. I'm sure my sensor was the original (green paint) with 585K miles, and it was not only nasty, it came apart while being removed. I will try a pic, but I'm slow on that as well! Not sure about performance yet because I've only driven from front of barn to the rear of barn, but will post later. The Volvo is only rated @ 400HP, and our total weight is about 46K, but have never seemed to lack for power. It would be nice to up the mileage a little even with fuel more reasonable. Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Dies the cummins n14 have a similar boost sensor? You guys got me thinking.

Wife says........everytime I think.......I get in trouble......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Ron,

On the N-14 your turbo boost sensor is on top of the "air-box" passenger side of the engine in front of turbo inlet. Look for a sensor screwed in facing upward. IIRC it has an oval connector with three wires.

Take a look at "Terry Chron" on YouTube. He has lots of info on the N-14 on his channel. His website is www. N14 parts.com. The sensor is for sale there. Cummins turbo boost sensor is a little easier to change than the Volvo

I buy almost all of my Volvo parts from Class8TruckParts. However, since I've been considering purchasing the OTR Performance EGR delete kit I went ahead and purchased their boost/temperature sensor for $149. The Volvo sensor on Class8TruckParts site is $158.15. One of the differences I see between the OEM sensor Randy installed and the OTR sensor is the OTR sensor has a solid tip. My sensor was burned out pretty bad. I pulled it out and inspected about a month ago and finally replaced it.

One of the things I noticed between my old sensor and the new one is the different ohm reading between the pins. These readings were made while both sensor were disconnected from the truck. The comments below are based on the coloring of the wires as I did not see any pin numbers

Old Sensor New Sensor

Red to Brown - 123.3K 9.23M

Red to Green - 2.179K 843K

Red to Black - 118.0K 9.25M

Brown to Green - 125.5K Open

Brown to Black - 5.46K 5.14K

Green to Black - 120.1K 17.91M

My old sensor was original, still had the Volvo paint on it, and had 406K miles on it.

I decided to not install the EGR delete kit. After speaking with OTR I was told the KIT simulates working EGR valves so the ECM believes they are working properly. Their kit does not modify injector timing, fuel mapping, etc. The truck remains in its stock configuration. They do offer a performance kit and it will modify fuel mapping, injector timing, etc.

On the last trip I took with the truck I noticed decreased performance and declining mileage so that's what started me down the road of trying to find out what's failing. Hopefully this fixes the problem. I also inspected/cleaned the easily removable parts between the EGR cooler and the intake manifold and found minimal soot buildup.

2005 Volvo 780 (Tiny), VED12 465, 12 Speed Freedomline, 3.21 Axle

ET Hitch, Jackalopee, MaxBrake

2006 Teton 39' Frontier Experience

2004 Smart Cabriolet (Smartypants)

Archived