TruckPaper

NoDirectionHome

With Truck Paper, it's anyone's guess. Most SHOULD be to middle of tandems, but call to confirm. The web-posters often aren't skilled in identification, and sales staff aren't always skilled in web.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

As Darryl said, it is usually to middle of tandem. Almost always. But on the other hand, the entire ad is often full of bad info. It may not even have a single thing in it that represents the truck they actually have.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I called the dealer to confirm. The other "tough to get an accurate answer" is lockers. The dealers don't know the difference between an inter-axle and a differential lock. Saaaaddd :(

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

• 1 month later...

As a newbie trying to educate myself I've notice that same thing. Gen1's Volvos labeled as Gen2's and vice versa. 420's, 430's, 610's, 630's, 660's, 670's often mislabeled. Most of the trucks called 4x2 or 6x2 are really 6x4. 'Automatic' trucks that clearly show a manual floor-mounted shifter. It makes a guy leery of the rest of the description.

I was looking for 6x2 trucks because it seemed they would be easier to single 'short' but everyone I looked at were 6x4s. Are these type pretty rare?

As a newbie trying to educate myself I've notice that same thing. Gen1's Volvos labeled as Gen2's and vice versa. 420's, 430's, 610's, 630's, 660's, 670's often mislabeled. Most of the trucks called 4x2 or 6x2 are really 6x4. 'Automatic' trucks that clearly show a manual floor-mounted shifter. It makes a guy leery of the rest of the description.

I was looking for 6x2 trucks because it seemed they would be easier to single 'short' but everyone I looked at were 6x4s. Are these type pretty rare?

Hi Stan Wright - you are correct the 6x2 "dead axle tandem" fuel economy configuration is relatively new in the North American fleet. Axlewise singling would be easier because the drive axle is already a "single" with no power divider to connect the driveline to the rear axle...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The early ones were around 2000 or so but were on a bunch of aluminum framed daycabs. The 11,000 lb trucks were impressive but probably not something y'all would be interested in. Then two major fleets coerced them out of everybody around 2009-2010. "Mainstream" for it didn't really happen until 2012-ish when E-Trac came along. Finding an Advantage T680 (the one with no fairing step and the curved side extenders) increases the chances of finding one as it was part of the package in some cases. The red oil seal on the RR axle in the pics is the giveaway. I know there are quite a few ProStar's were 6x2's as well. The two fleets that started it didn't buy it in their most recent orders so I don't know if it is heading back out again or if interest will continue on it. Time will tell I guess.

Archived