Length Restrictions?

NoDirectionHome

Are guys with longer tractors and 5ers that violate most states 65' max length limitation or those doubling getting pulled over or cited for violations? I see many "big rigs" from Spacecraft, New Horizons, or Forks that can't possibly meet that requirement especially if they are carrying a Smart on the tractor.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Very, very rarely does someone get pulled over. But it does happen. Mostly with those towing doubles, but I do know of people with just a 5er being pulled over and cited for overlength.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We are 65' with the smart and a 37' fiver.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

As Jack said, we have actual knowledge of a 68ft'er that was stopped, strictly because of their length, and cited for 3 ft over length. As for your question to Jack, he may not want to answer here. I know he towed doubles for years and never had an issue. I spoke with one guy at last years rally that was stopped and made to seperate his toad from the 5er and truck.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ok, thanks Big5er. Understand about self incrimination. I'll probably be amongst the guilty soon. Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances. :huh:

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

There is a video on youtube by a Florida Officer. He works commercial enforcement. When you pass the weigh in motion there are lasers that measure everything. They have your Height with the highest point highlighted on their screen. They have your width with the widest part highlighted. They have your length and your weight. If they wanted to stop us they already have everything they need staring them in the face. If I get stopped I will pay whatever fine and count it as the cost of living the life.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

If I get stopped I will pay whatever fine and count it as the cost of living the life.

I'm OK with that (I think). Getting told I have to uncouple and get a shorter tractor to continue would really be a bummer.

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

My understanding is that we cant be made to unhook as it is not unsafe. We can be made to obtain an overlength permit. Big5er can shed more light on it and I have been known to be wrong in the past and may be wrong now.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Stekay

This might help: www.Towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

I have heard that if you are legal in your home state the other states will honor it. Check with Big5er on that. Some states allow 75 ft. for RV's. The state I am registered in does allow 75 ft.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

I'm sure Big5er will know for sure but , I believe the only things states reciprocate on as regards our lifestyle is driver's license (i.e. class A,B,C,D) and registration (motor home, private truck etc.). I think length limits are state specific so what may be legal in your home state will not be legal in the next.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Stekay

This might help: www.Towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

I have heard that if you are legal in your home state the other states will honor it. Check with Big5er on that. Some states allow 75 ft. for RV's. The state I am registered in does allow 75 ft.

Wrong.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I keep posting this up because I think it contains some good info! Click on a state!...Check out WY... triple tow and max length!

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

.... And how many states can you find where the last line in that table is different?? :lol:

2000 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40' DP

2015 DRV 38RSSA 5th wheel

2004 M2 106 MDT

It's What You Learn, After You Know It All!... That Counts!!

As has been stated, reciprocity covers only operator's licensing and registration issues.

As with speed limits and other traffic laws, the states are sovereign, and for non-commercial traffic, their towing laws apply to all drivers and vehicles traveling on their roads.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I keep posting this up because I think it contains some good info! Click on a state!...Check out WY... triple tow and max length!

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

.... And how many states can you find where the last line in that table is different?? :lol:

NOTE: While every attempt has been made to verify this information, Towing World cannot guarantee its accuracy, and assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions. Changes may have been made since this data was compiled. Call state and provincial Highway Safety offices for additional details.

Uh-huh.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Don't lock yourself into a certain length without realizing some variables. For instance, your hitch set back, where your hitch is located under the front of the trailer, will there be a drom or other structure in front of the smart, etc.

And then there's the curious habit of trailer manufacturers posting incorrect lengths. Ours is called 38', but if you measure overall length, it's right at 40'. But, our hitch protrudes slightly to the front of the trailer.........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I won't! It seems the majority of over the road trucks hauling a "standard" 48'-53' box with a double sleeper tractor are probably 70-75' overall.

SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

My current setup is pretty much the minimum structure for hauling a current smart on a 780. You can find the measures HERE, on the first picture.

You could reduce overall length some by removing the drom, the vertical cab fairings, and pushing the smart as close to the cab as possible. That would bet you abot 16" max. (my cab fairings with extenders are 18").

No matter what, with a smart on, and a larger trailer you are going to be overlength. With a smaller tractor and a 36' trailer you can squeeze into the 65', but as soon as you go to larger trailers and larger tractors you start pushing the limits.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I won't! It seems the majority of over the road trucks hauling a "standard" 48'-53' box with a double sleeper tractor are probably 70-75' overall.

The laws for commercial trucks are different than the laws for RV's

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

What is different between commercial and non commercial is how they are measured. Commercial does include the truck so not total combined length where non commercial does and is combined length. Think about this a typical commercial box trailer is 53'and no way could the tractor be included and be under 65'. At least that is my understanding. Perhaps Phil or somebody more familiar can correct me. I don't the states that allow double or triple trailers could be within max length if the tractor truck was included in the lenght.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

What is different between commercial and non commercial is how they are measured. Commercial does include the truck so not total combined length where non commercial does and is combined length. Think about this a typical commercial box trailer is 53'and no way could the tractor be included and be under 65'. At least that is my understanding. Perhaps Phil or somebody more familiar can correct me. I don't the states that allow double or triple trailers could be within max length if the tractor truck was included in the lenght.

There are just different lengths for commercial and RV. In commercial, for a truck and a single trailer, there is virtually no length limit on the National Network. In commercial, double and triple trailers have length limits on the trailers.

For RV, the rig length is the limit.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived