Fuel Cost

The Few

Nope! There will come a time when you can't fulfill those plans or go to those destinations and that could be tomorrow or twenty years.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Nope. This is part of the full time life style. I have currently left Mission, Tx heading for Florida by way of Oregon. Mom thinks I need a new map.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Nope. This is part of the full time life style. I have currently left Mission, Tx heading for Florida by way of Oregon. Mom thinks I need a new map.

All of that to avoid coming through Houston????

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Remember there's a bada**ed DOT officer there, so who can blame him for a "little" detour. :)

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Diesel prices ar no big deal...........DrPepper prices are critical.......As long as DrPepper prices remain STABLE.........those addicted remain......S t a b l e.............((SOMEWHAT)))).......

Drive on.......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Big 5ver;

Sitting here lunchtime at work, having a "new" Vanilla float Dr. Pepper.

Have you tried one?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

The most we have paid for diesel in the past 10 years of travel was $4.45 in West Yellowstone, I think it was 2008 or 2009. Just looked at Gas Buddy and diesel is still under $3.00 in many of the places we will be going in the near future. So, it has got a good ways to go before we will change our plans. As some one else mentioned if you slow down, that can free up funds for fuel. Most weekly rates are stay 6 days get the 7th free. Monthly rates are even lower. You can often save on nightly fees by using a back-in instead of a pull-thru or water and electric versus full hookups. If you don't need to use the air conditioners, 30amp versus 50amp can sometimes save a couple of dollars per night. There are lots of ways to redistribute expenditures, it just takes a little thought and planning.

Here is how I see it:

Currently I am on a trip that I will cover 3000 miles. Averaging 8mpg I will need 375 gallons of Diesel.

If fuel goes up $1 that will cost me an additional $375. Not staying home or cutting the trip short for $375.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Sitting on 2 big tanks of earlier priced diesel. Run till she gets low & then fill up & run some more.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

It is a housing cost. Do you sell your s&b when your payment goes up due to rising insurance, especially the coming increase in flood insurance?

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I'm planning on $5-$6 gallon average fuel costs during my retirement. This may be a little on the low side, but I'd like to look at things rather optimistically. If less than that I will be delightfully surprised. This is why I chose a fuel efficient TV and am planning on a lightweight TT with an aerodynamic bed topper and to break the wind and a tail cone to ease the displaced air into the vacuum hole left behind - trying to learn from the aerodynamic add-ons that many over the road big rigs now use. Slowing down, driving at night and early morning (when there's less stop and go) and using safe hypermiling techniques will also be used to stretch my limited fuel budget. I'm shooting for a 12mpg avg. towing, but if this proves unattainable then I'll just have to reduce the miles driven to match the thickness of my wallet. To save diesel on local trips I bought a pair of 100 MPG motorbikes, but I may have to sell one as my DW is having increased difficulty riding due to a bad knee. Too bad that 84 mpg Elio won't fit in the back of my truck (and at over 13 ft long it would take a pretty long toy hauler to carry one.)

Of course if fuel costs rise, electricity produced from fuel will also rise. To combat this eventuality I plan on building an energy self-sufficient rig that will allow us to boondock more often, saving money on increased electricity rates and CG fees if desired. If inflation gets really bad (which I doubt, but you never know) then we could be forced to move less frequently, fish and garden to stretch our food budget and may even have to resort to part time work to supplement our meager fixed income. We all do what we must to get by and maintain, as best we can, our chosen lifestyle.

Chip

Shucks, I ain't worried. I am confident that if fuel prices rise again my Social Security and retirement will increase enough to cover the difference. ;)

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Highest I've ever paid for fuel was last summer in the Yukon. Almost $8/gal. and worth every penny. I'd do that trip again in a heart beat.

When you're in your rocking chair on the front porch of the nursing home, you'll never think back and say, "I wish I'd stayed home."

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I do not enjoy higher prices but it does cut down on all the other stupid drivers out there in my way.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Nope. We sit and work six and one half months of the year so want to travel the rest of the year. In those six and one half months we are working, maybe put 1,700 miles on the car. Maybe 250 on the truck.

I love how you live!!

How do I get in your shoes?? (laugh)

That is AWESOME!!!

The Few

Does the rising fuel prices alter going to the daily(forgive me for saying) JOB.

Good question. Since I use my vehicle for work - about 3,000-3,500 miles a month I get a car allowance plus a mileage payment that varies with the price of fuel. As fuel costs double, so does my mileage reimbursement. Other than decent health insurance, and this allowance they don't pay me much, but I still earn almost twice what I will when drawing social security, so I have more discretionary income now than I will when I retire and my belt tightens.

Chip

Shucks, I ain't worried. I am confident that if fuel prices rise again my Social Security and retirement will increase enough to cover the difference. ;)

:lol: That's the best one I've heard all day!

The problem is that the price of so many things will rise when fuel prices rise because of the increase in production, manufacturing and transportation costs. Everything from medicine, pesticides & fertilizers (which means food), plastics, rubber for tires, etc. will all increase as fuel costs increase. Food prices are my biggest concern though. :unsure:

Chip

Archived