Reserving Windows 10

Capt Joe

Well, something I have been waiting for showed up on my Windows 7 Lenovo laptop this morning.... it was an invitation to reserve Windows 10... and as has been reported it IS a freebe. Didn't specify when but said I would be notified when it is available and given a chance to designate when to download and install.

Reason I say I have been waiting, other than the obvious desire to try the completed package... is that I have been needing to purchase a new laptop for my wife and wanted official notice from MS that the upgrade to 10 would be available for an 8.1, 7 or ???

Anyone else get the same 'Invitation'?

Capt Joe

Capt Joe

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on WH20 Chassis w/8.1L and Allison

Don't know about any invitations, but Microsoft just announced that it would be released on July 29 http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/06/01/us-microsoft-windows-idINKBN0OH1U320150601

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Been running/testing windows 10 now for a couple of months and love it. I've not reserved a "reservation" however.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Got my reservation this AM also. On my HP Desktop 8.1

Now have a Icon on my task bar for the update.

Haven't checked my HP laptop 8.1 yet.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

The invitation is the Windows logo on the notifications, normally the bottom right of the Windows screen. I got it this morning. The fun will be scheduling the 3GB download when it comes. It will probably download with no warning.

I am running a couple applications on Windows 7 that reportedly do not run on Windows 8/8.1. At least I know and will move to alternatives, but I am sure there will be some surprised Windows 7 users when their applications do not run on Windows 10.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

The invitation is the Windows logo on the notifications, normally the bottom right of the Windows screen. I got it this morning. The fun will be scheduling the 3GB download when it comes. It will probably download with no warning.

The invitation said we can choose when to download it.

I have my 8.1 set to notifie me of any updates.

If not they will be a lot of cell data users go over their monthly allotment.

And would use up all of my Straight Talk 1GB. :(

I'm hope to do it on the campground WiFi

orWSmsDN.png

369070033.jpg

Yes, I got the notifications last night on both my Win 7 and Win 8.1 laptops. Looks like they're using Windows Update to push out the notifications, if you're connected.

It said available starting July 29 and it wouldn't download until you scheduled it, 3 gig

Jim

Yes, I got the notifications last night on both my Win 7 and Win 8.1 laptops. Looks like they're using Windows Update to push out the notifications, if you're connected.

It said available starting July 29 and it wouldn't download until you scheduled it, 3 gig

On the notification I got under number 2 "Install" it said, "You will get a notification after Windows 10 is downloaded to your device. Install it right away, or pick a time that's good for you". It didnt say anything about getting a notification when it is going to download.

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Paul Stough and I both read the message the same way, that it downloads when Microsoft decides and not when you choose. You choose when to run the install, not the download. With potentially 5 computers to upgrade in my household, I want some control of when it downloads.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Paul Stough and I both read the message the same way, that it downloads when Microsoft decides and not when you choose. You choose when to run the install, not the download. With potentially 5 computers to upgrade in my household, I want some control of when it downloads.

x3

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Same here Bill.

Four tablets and three desktops here. I haven't sold Lynn's older Lenovo tablet, or my backup Lenovo desktop yet as I'd get more with them running Windows 10. I too did not make reservations nor will. When I'm ready I'll go with them one at a time.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

For anyone who accidentally? reserved an upgrade to Win 10, there is a way to cancel the reservation.

Right Click the Upgrade Icon (lower right 4 windows icon) and select 'check your upgrade status'

Click the 4 lines icon on the upper left.

Click again, check your upgrade status.

Then you will see the cancel option.

This is how it appeared on my computer. Yours may be different.

Duke

Everything about cancelling worked right up to the 2nd check your upgrade status. I did not see anything about cancelling option?

Dennis

Click on the top left = then in window that opens...Click on View Confirmation....Next box at bottom left click "Cancel Reservation"

369070033.jpg

If you use Windows Media Center for anything (I use it as my DVR for scheduling and recording TV shows & movies), be aware that Media Center is NOT included with Win10, nor is there any option to obtain it. After finding that out, I canceled my reservation for the upgrade, as I don't have any problems with Win7 anyway, and I sure don't want to lose my ability to use my DVR!

Jim Schavone

Good info biker thanks. I almost needed it until I realized five of my six units came with 8 as the factory restore and have already been upgraded, twice in the case of the 2720. So I'll need to be attentive to each.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Found an interesting thing earlier today on the 'Get Windows 10' notification.

If you open the notification and then click on the menu box, the 3 small dashes on the left side of the white stripe towards the top of that window, you get a series of menu actions you can take. One of them is an option to 'Check Your PC'. This will scan your pc to see if it will run Windows 10 as well as if any of your devices or apps may potentially pose a conflict.

When I ran my laptop, it reported that "Windows 10 will work with this PC" but then noted that "This PC can be upgraded but there may be some issues". (This is on a Lenovo Windows 7 laptop with 8 gigs of ram and a 750 gig HD.) And it also reported that there were 0 known issues with any apps on my computer. However when the devices were reported, the scan said that "These devices are not fully compatible with Windows 10". Then listed "my video hook driver2" and then stated that I would experience problems with my display.

A bit confusing but what else would you expect. I'm sure more info will be available. I guess I need to see if there is an updated driver for my video on this machine. I really don't have a big problem with Win 7 and may just wait it out for a while before installing Win 10 to get some real world reports on compatibility problems. Good thing tho is that I now feel a bit better about going on and buying a new computer for my wife since it is now somewhat official that the upgrade is going to be available.

Anybody else checked their computer for compatibility?

Capt Joe

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on WH20 Chassis w/8.1L and Allison

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10.

We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

369070033.jpg

I just looked, seems like the video issue is there for me too as my Mirror driver is listed as unsupported and I really like the boost that gives me when using the computer remotely over VNC. I'll wait a while to see what others are experiencing and to see if they do a new and improved driver.

No matter what I'm doing a full disk image as well as a file-by-file backup of my data before I try the upgrade.

At 3 GB it would sure be nice if they offered an upgrade DVD for folks that have limited networking and/or multiple computers.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

"Your Terminal Server Keyboard Driver will be an issue" is what it said about my W7.

I'm wondering if I can get a W7 license for my Vista cheap and then test 10 on that instead.

I like the 7 and really don't want to mess with it....

stay tuned

popeye

I did the check your pc thing and discovered that my Intel HD4600 chipset could be a problem. I used the Intel Driver Update Utility and it informed me that the driver being used by my HD4600 is a Toshiba-customized one and Intel didn't recommend using the standard driver. That may mean I can't upgrade unless Toshiba decides to issue a driver for a year old laptop. I won't hold my breath on that one.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived