MaxBrake & Worn out 5er brakes in 4500 miles!

Bob Cochran

I did a search and did not find anything that talked about my problem.

A little history during our spring trip last year my tire monitors showed 2 wheels getting warm. Not bad but enough I had to monitor it constantly just to forestall any problems. I did have tire problems unrelated to this situation.

Because of this problem, new to me (2014 Keystone Fuzion) and was time to repack EZ lube wheel bearing. Also I like to see things just to make sure things are as they should be and glad I did. :unsure:

Found all brake shoes worn enough I need new with one worn down to paper thin but luckily no contact metal to metal but sure would have been shortly. I was surprised with only 4500 miles I have on it and you could add mileage from factory to Phoenix still I would not have expected them to be so thin!!! Though I had done some pretty windy roads i.e. going over Flaming Gorge bridge, etc. I am normally not hard on brakes and never have been. I don't ride them, use jake, lower gears, etc.

Bearing/races in great shape no problems at all. No grease seal leaking but one a little brittle indicative of getting hot and was on one of the wheels I was seeing higher temperatures. The grease did not smell smokey though on any axle but was darker than I would have expected with so few miles. I am thinking perhaps the brakes was the heating problem even under no braking

The drum perimeter was great but the drum surface where the magnets ride looked almost like gravel or something had got inside though the magnets did not look very bad. During this trip when going through the Navajo Reservation and the dust was be blown so hard it was drifting on the roads and at times had to slow way down to attempt to see the road. Could it be sand got up in there and cause a problem?

I am going to purchased the whole brake assembly, new backing plate, magnets, shoes as this is only $70 per wheel and considering less of my labor and not purchasing brake shoes it is well worth it. I checked into new drums just to see and they wanted $108 each for those and can get what little turning is required on the drum for $35 so duh no comparison though if this happens again well have to probably consider new drums anyway. Of course new grease seals I cannot remember their cost but not hardly worth talking about.

So now the question what I am thinking is high brake wear? I don't think it is my driving though I will be more careful and I can say the 5er I had before this I had for 10 years and did not need brakes yet not sure why my driving with this 5er be any different.

It is almost like the brakes was dragging. Though when u spin the wheels the brake shoes just lightly rub the drums when disconnected and 5er parked. I cannot think how being connected though would cause the brakes to drag am I missing something with this?

I will go through the calibration procedure again with the MaxBrake just because to verify it is correct. Could I have the gain set to high? I really only need the brakes to grab enough to keep the 5er traveling straight during braking sure don't need a lot of assistance but some. As to the gain I will check what the gain is set at(I have not done that yet) and turn the gain down to a lower number I am guessing this will lessen the brake pressure?

Just out of curiosity those of you that have MaxBrake what have you set the gain at? My 5er is about 14,000 lbs and 2 axle and your input will give me a starting point. I really don't want to wear out the brakes so fast again and get the heating down to what I consider normal which is a little above ambient really when traveling down the road and not braking is that goal wishful thing?

Thanks for you help I am sure somebody here knows exactly what my problem maybe and have an answer I have not even considered. :D

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Even if the gain was set way to high, the only time the MaxBrake will be applying braking current is when you are applying your service brakes on the truck. The over high gain would mean the trailer would be stopping faster than the truck and you would notice that the screeching of the trailer tires.

If the MaxBarke is responsible, it would be because it is putting out current when it shouldn't. A simple voltmeter on the brake wire (Blue) would be a quick test. There should be no voltage unless you are applying the truck brakes.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Bob,

Food for thought - On my previous truck/fiver combination (03 international/2 axle fiver) I had a problem with a bad ground causing the Teckonsha (sp) controller to apply the trailer brakes randomly usually in wet conditions). The brake controller was activated by the brake light signal from the ECM - not the switch on the pedal directly. The bad ground was between the batteries and the chassis ground stud under the dash. Body builder had extended the 10 gauge wires from the batteries and spliced them with butt connectors (non waterproof) and tucked the splice up in the frame rail. Every time it got wet, strange things happened. Could you have a Maxbrake wiring problem that is applying brakes and you don't know it? As Mark suggests, check the voltage on the blue wire.

In the end, the bad ground shut me down along the road but it raised havoc with the trailer brakes on occasion. The shut down finally allowed me to diagnose the problem.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

The brake controller should not supply more then about 6 vdc to the brakes under normal operation. At 6 vdg the brakes should not lockup when on a hard surface road. If you test your brakes manually on a loose surface they may slide the tires. When the emergency cable switch is activated it will supply 12 vdc to the brakes and basically lock the brakes.

With all the brakes wearing about the same it points to over voltage from the tow vehicle. As in the electric brakes are doing most of the braking on both units.

Or your truck brakes are out of adjustment and making the 5thwheel do most of the braking.

safe Travels, Vern

When you pull a brake drum off, are the shoes extended or retracted? Are they free moving, just hanging there? I have had a buildup of crud at the pivot bolt prevent the arm from releasing the brake shoes completely. They were loose enough to roll "free" but had enough pressure to cause a heat build-up and wear out the shoes.

When hooked up and plugged into the truck, take a compass and sweep by each wheel. If the magnetic is working/on the needle will swing towards it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I would bet that the OEM brake shoes are minimum on these trailers, just like everything else RV. And when you replace everything, you are putting back exactly the same quality. I would seek out better braking materials in addition to checking other causes.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

If you have Dexter 12X2 inch brakes make sure you get the 7000 lb ones. They make a lighter duty brake in the same size for 5200 lb axles. I got the wrong ones by mistake once and they didn't stop my car trailer near as well or last near as long.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

When hooked up and plugged into the truck, take a compass and sweep by each wheel. If the magnetic is working/on the needle will swing towards it.

One nice thing about the MaxBrake controller is slide the manual control to full and you get an amp reading. Should be around 3amp per brake for the 7000 lb axles so two axle will give a reading between 12 and 13 if all brakes working

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Thanks everyone the help is great and will respond to each of you with what I think, etc. :D

Even if the gain was set way to high, the only time the MaxBrake will be applying braking current is when you are applying your service brakes on the truck. The over high gain would mean the trailer would be stopping faster than the truck and you would notice that the screeching of the trailer tires.

If the MaxBarke is responsible, it would be because it is putting out current when it shouldn't. A simple voltmeter on the brake wire (Blue) would be a quick test. There should be no voltage unless you are applying the truck brakes.

At this point I don't think the MaxBrake is putting out voltage when it should not but I will test it anyway and I agree it should not. Because the controller is right next to my right leg I could have been moving the manual lever with my leg and not aware of it. I will make sure I am not during my next trip.

This is a 1999 Frieghtliner and to be honest it is noisy enough I am not sure I could here "screeching" if the gain was to high. I think for sure one of the things I am going to do is crank down the gain to a lower number maybe like 20 and start working to find the sweet spot on the gain. I am kind of thinking this could be the problem we will see. :)

Bob,

Food for thought - On my previous truck/fiver combination (03 international/2 axle fiver) I had a problem with a bad ground causing the Teckonsha (sp) controller to apply the trailer brakes randomly usually in wet conditions). The brake controller was activated by the brake light signal from the ECM - not the switch on the pedal directly. The bad ground was between the batteries and the chassis ground stud under the dash. Body builder had extended the 10 gauge wires from the batteries and spliced them with butt connectors (non waterproof) and tucked the splice up in the frame rail. Every time it got wet, strange things happened. Could you have a Maxbrake wiring problem that is applying brakes and you don't know it? As Mark suggests, check the voltage on the blue wire.

In the end, the bad ground shut me down along the road but it raised havoc with the trailer brakes on occasion. The shut down finally allowed me to diagnose the problem.

Lenp

I will check that but at this point I don't think so but certainly something to look into. Since the MaxBrake uses air pressure sensor and not brake light signal not sure it applies here but will think about it and test anyway.

The brake controller should not supply more then about 6 vdc to the brakes under normal operation. At 6 vdg the brakes should not lockup when on a hard surface road. If you test your brakes manually on a loose surface they may slide the tires. When the emergency cable switch is activated it will supply 12 vdc to the brakes and basically lock the brakes.
With all the brakes wearing about the same it points to over voltage from the tow vehicle. As in the electric brakes are doing most of the braking on both units.
Or your truck brakes are out of adjustment and making the 5thwheel do most of the braking.
safe Travels, Vern

I am thinking probably should see about 6 vdc with about 10 psi of applied brake air pressure perhaps 15. As I recall the brakes on the hdt will lock up with about 10 or 15 psi. Vern I will look further into this as you suggest and like I said above maybe maybe the gain is to high and wearing out the shoes because of to much brake.

When you pull a brake drum off, are the shoes extended or retracted? Are they free moving, just hanging there? I have had a buildup of crud at the pivot bolt prevent the arm from releasing the brake shoes completely. They were loose enough to roll "free" but had enough pressure to cause a heat build-up and wear out the shoes.

When I pulled the drums the shoes was retracted and free moving. With these self adjusting brakes perhaps the are a little tighter than I would have adjusted then manually making a little more temperature build up than I am used to. Like I said I have never hand a 5er or tow trailer with self adjusting brakes.

I would bet that the OEM brake shoes are minimum on these trailers, just like everything else RV. And when you replace everything, you are putting back exactly the same quality. I would seek out better braking materials in addition to checking other causes.

You are probably right I would have to compare some shoes for material thickness. In the mean time will be going with the kit with new backing plate, shoes and magnets. Then see if I can find brake shoes with thicker material but even if it is thinner I think they wore out to fast!!! Does anybody else know of a source for shoes that may have thicker material?

If you have Dexter 12X2 inch brakes make sure you get the 7000 lb ones. They make a lighter duty brake in the same size for 5200 lb axles. I got the wrong ones by mistake once and they didn't stop my car trailer near as well or last near as long.

Nigel

I will make sure I have the right Shoes for my 6,000 lb axles. I really should consider and suspension and wheel upgrade. You know 7,000 lb axles, 17" wheels and better springs. Hard to justify right now on a one year old 5er to the DW though she did make the comment we have had more problems with this 5er in 1 year than the last one in 10 years!!!!

One nice thing about the MaxBrake controller is slide the manual control to full and you get an amp reading. Should be around 3amp per brake for the 7000 lb axles so two axle will give a reading between 12 and 13 if all brakes working

Nigel

I thought it was 2 amps per magnet but I will check that out as well.

Finally on the magnet thing I have heard of doing this but have never tried it. Will have to break out the magnet and see if the needle does point to the brake magnetic. I am curious now and that always gets me in trouble though it takes extreme effort on my part to know tear apart things of HDT and 5er just to see what makes them tick even if there is nothing wrong!!!

Thanks again guys you are all awesome!!! :D Keep those thoughts going and will keep you posted on what I find as I progress through this. :ph34r:

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

This is a quote from Dexter FAQs:

BRAKES - How do I measure brake current or amperage?

Dexter 7" brakes draw about 2.5 amps per brake and all other brake magnets draw about 3 amps per brake.

I use a DC clamp-on meter (more expensive than the AC clamp-on on many meters) to check the current draw. Clamp it around the blue wire and hit the emergency switch on the controller. If the brakes are full-on (12 VDC) then there should be about 12 amps. The brake actuation

activity could also be monitored while normal driving.

The brake magnet current can also be checked without the TV connected. Most controllers recommend disconnecting the TV hookup during this

test to prevent power from the trailer feeding power back to the controller. Put the clamp-on meter on one of the breakaway wires and pull

the pin on the breakaway. Should read near 12 amps for 2 axles.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I use a DC clamp-on meter (more expensive than the AC clamp-on on many meters) to check the current draw. Clamp it around the blue wire and hit the emergency switch on the controller. If the brakes are full-on (12 VDC) then there should be about 12 amps. The brake actuation

activity could also be monitored while normal driving.

Good idea. What make and model number do you use? I need to buy another tool :)

I have three. One I am not happy with. Another that has a 400 amp scale but it does read down to .1 amps (100 milliamps). I just bought this one as it has a lower scale for reading things other than major battery loads. If the brakes show something less than 11 amps (I have checked several RVs at Rallys and the ones that are working show between 11.2 and 11.7 amps) you can go to each wheel and check each magnet.

GTC CM100 1 mA to 100 Amps AC/DC Low Current Clamp Meter that I got from Amazon.

It is very useful for finding out what things in the RV are pulling. I did a baseline on all my circuits. You might see a couple of fuse loops on Amazon if you go there. They are used to replace the normal size and mini fuses and give you a loop to clamp the meter on. You just move the fuse to the loop and clamp the meter into the loop.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

HI BOB

I buy my Dexter brake assemblies from "Trailer Parts Supper Store" Newark, DE. 302-453-8077.

The last 2x12 Dexter wheel assemblies I bought were $35. each as opposed to $108 each @ the RV dealer. + shipping. These are 3 yr. old prices but I'm sure still hard to beat. $22. ship for 4 ground to Chicago area.

They have about anything you need.

Good Luck

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

The nice thing about the MaxBrake is it tells you when its on...and current draw. I'd be very suprised if it was the problem. As noted, extremely easy to double check for voltage when not applied. And I would think a mechanical problem would be confined to 1 or 2 brakes, not all similar. My guess? The "Delivery man" used the trailer brakes exclusively while transporting it to save HIS truck brakes, and you got a new trailer with 1/2 brakes left.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

HI BOB

I buy my Dexter brake assemblies from "Trailer Parts Supper Store" Newark, DE. 302-453-8077.

The last 2x12 Dexter wheel assemblies I bought were $35. each as opposed to $108 each @ the RV dealer. + shipping. These are 3 yr. old prices but I'm sure still hard to beat. $22. ship for 4 ground to Chicago area.

They have about anything you need.

Good Luck

roadfitter

Unfortunately I already have the kits in hand but if I need again will look your source.

The nice thing about the MaxBrake is it tells you when its on...and current draw. I'd be very suprised if it was the problem. As noted, extremely easy to double check for voltage when not applied. And I would think a mechanical problem would be confined to 1 or 2 brakes, not all similar. My guess? The "Delivery man" used the trailer brakes exclusively while transporting it to save HIS truck brakes, and you got a new trailer with 1/2 brakes left.

I would be surprised as well I keep thinking the gain must be set to high.

I will get to replacing the brakes tomorrow but I noticed something today. The front axle has Dexler and the rear axle has something else I cannot tell by who!!!! Now all brakes worn more than I would expect but the rear with unknown brakes is the worst. That is also the axle I had replaced because it was bent before my spring trip(long story on another thread). Does new axle come with new brake assemblies or just the bare axle? I just cannot believe perhaps wrongly that even Keystone would mix brakes like that!!! When I get them off will look closer. I will be having a discussion with the guy who replaced my axle first chance I get as well.

Since we were Max Brake retailers for 5 years, we do have a pretty good feel for the workings of the controller. If you would care to call me at 941-416-0918, Dutch or I would be happy to go over your setting and calibration with you. While each truck & 5th wheel is a bit different; on our 1996 Dodge, pulling our 38'Carriage, we had the gain down to around 11.

One thing we found that customers did was have too much trailer brake in relation to truck brake. We used to tell customers to start at the suggested setting {depending on if they had drum or disc brakes} then take a ride. You don't have to go fast and make a quick stop, just start out and apply the brakes. Decrease the gain and do the same thing until eventually you don't feel the trailer stopping you. Once you get to that point turn the gain up by 1 or 2 and that should put you at the right gain with plenty of braking.

If you have disc brakes and the gain is too high, it will cause premature wearing of the pads because disc brakes are not as sturdy as truck brakes. We're here to offer our assistance, should you need it. Hugs, Di

I did a search and did not find anything that talked about my problem.

A little history during our spring trip last year my tire monitors showed 2 wheels getting warm. Not bad but enough I had to monitor it constantly just to forestall any problems. I did have tire problems unrelated to this situation.

Because of this problem, new to me (2014 Keystone Fuzion) and was time to repack EZ lube wheel bearing. Also I like to see things just to make sure things are as they should be and glad I did. :unsure:

Found all brake shoes worn enough I need new with one worn down to paper thin but luckily no contact metal to metal but sure would have been shortly. I was surprised with only 4500 miles I have on it and you could add mileage from factory to Phoenix still I would not have expected them to be so thin!!! Though I had done some pretty windy roads i.e. going over Flaming Gorge bridge, etc. I am normally not hard on brakes and never have been. I don't ride them, use jake, lower gears, etc.

Bearing/races in great shape no problems at all. No grease seal leaking but one a little brittle indicative of getting hot and was on one of the wheels I was seeing higher temperatures. The grease did not smell smokey though on any axle but was darker than I would have expected with so few miles. I am thinking perhaps the brakes was the heating problem even under no braking

The drum perimeter was great but the drum surface where the magnets ride looked almost like gravel or something had got inside though the magnets did not look very bad. During this trip when going through the Navajo Reservation and the dust was be blown so hard it was drifting on the roads and at times had to slow way down to attempt to see the road. Could it be sand got up in there and cause a problem?

I am going to purchased the whole brake assembly, new backing plate, magnets, shoes as this is only $70 per wheel and considering less of my labor and not purchasing brake shoes it is well worth it. I checked into new drums just to see and they wanted $108 each for those and can get what little turning is required on the drum for $35 so duh no comparison though if this happens again well have to probably consider new drums anyway. Of course new grease seals I cannot remember their cost but not hardly worth talking about.

So now the question what I am thinking is high brake wear? I don't think it is my driving though I will be more careful and I can say the 5er I had before this I had for 10 years and did not need brakes yet not sure why my driving with this 5er be any different.

It is almost like the brakes was dragging. Though when u spin the wheels the brake shoes just lightly rub the drums when disconnected and 5er parked. I cannot think how being connected though would cause the brakes to drag am I missing something with this?

I will go through the calibration procedure again with the MaxBrake just because to verify it is correct. Could I have the gain set to high? I really only need the brakes to grab enough to keep the 5er traveling straight during braking sure don't need a lot of assistance but some. As to the gain I will check what the gain is set at(I have not done that yet) and turn the gain down to a lower number I am guessing this will lessen the brake pressure?

Just out of curiosity those of you that have MaxBrake what have you set the gain at? My 5er is about 14,000 lbs and 2 axle and your input will give me a starting point. I really don't want to wear out the brakes so fast again and get the heating down to what I consider normal which is a little above ambient really when traveling down the road and not braking is that goal wishful thing?

Thanks for you help I am sure somebody here knows exactly what my problem maybe and have an answer I have not even considered. :D

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Thanks Di, I originally purchased the MaxBrake from you guys and as I recall I called you concerning a mystery wire!!! You guys have been nothing but gracious and knowledgeable. I don't think I will have a problem to re-calibrate and get the gain set right. I think will drop the gain to say 10 and start playing with it. The problem around here is the dirt or gravel roads are not very smooth so hard to tell what is going on back there when testing the gain adjustment. Also need to get a few miles on the newly turned drums and new shoes to get them seated so to speak. I will post how that goes as it happens may have to re-calibrate and set gain to 10 and head for Phoenix next month and do this on the fly!!! One question I have not found and answer for though and maybe you do. How long will the calibration last if 12v removed from the MaxBrake? I am not talking about gain setting just the calibration setting is it in there forever? Reason I ask is I have a disconnect switch that in winter cuts off the 12 volts for long periods and other times maybe off for a week or 2.

Ok progress report; brake job and bearing repack completed today but not without some interesting happenings. First in another thread I had a bent axle replaced and interestingly that axle was a different manufacturer than oem. I did not personally buy the axle or do the replacement. Myself would have matched manufacturers but I have no indication this is a problem.

I had said before the brakes are self adjusting which I am not familiar with and not completely comfortable with either on RV. Anyway turns out OEM was self adjusting and the replacement axle was manual adjusting. I guess the new axle when ordered was ordered with axle and brakes. Would have been nice to know; I will be talking with the guy who did the replacement for me.

I had talked to Keystone and got the information necessary to order direct replacement of the brakes. I used that information and ordered the brake kits. Surprised opened the box and the backing place,shoes, magnets assemblies are manual adjust. I talked to the supplier and what they sent was exactly what Keystone told me I needed!! I am not upset about this though as honestly I have more faith in my ability to adjust the brakes and keep them in adjustment than the self adjusting kind. I have been known to take a brake spoon and do a quick click or 2 adjust in the RV park if they need. I am happy with the manual adjust.

As to shoe material thickness. Honest these shoes appear to be 1/16" or 1/8" thinner than I remember on shoes of old. But then memory fades over time I suppose!!! Also in days of old I remember a glaze on shoes that needed to be scuffed off and these did not have the glaze. Perhaps the lesser thickness is a result of arcing the shoes and not an attempt lessen manufacturing cost and sell product for the same price!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Thanks Di, I originally purchased the MaxBrake from you guys and as I recall I called you concerning a mystery wire!!! You guys have been nothing but gracious and knowledgeable. I don't think I will have a problem to re-calibrate and get the gain set right. I think will drop the gain to say 10 and start playing with it. The problem around here is the dirt or gravel roads are not very smooth so hard to tell what is going on back there when testing the gain adjustment. Also need to get a few miles on the newly turned drums and new shoes to get them seated so to speak. I will post how that goes as it happens may have to re-calibrate and set gain to 10 and head for Phoenix next month and do this on the fly!!! One question I have not found and answer for though and maybe you do. How long will the calibration last if 12v removed from the MaxBrake? I am not talking about gain setting just the calibration setting is it in there forever? Reason I ask is I have a disconnect switch that in winter cuts off the 12 volts for long periods and other times maybe off for a week or 2.

Ok progress report; brake job and bearing repack completed today but not without some interesting happenings. First in another thread I had a bent axle replaced and interestingly that axle was a different manufacturer than oem. I did not personally buy the axle or do the replacement. Myself would have matched manufacturers but I have no indication this is a problem.

I had said before the brakes are self adjusting which I am not familiar with and not completely comfortable with either on RV. Anyway turns out OEM was self adjusting and the replacement axle was manual adjusting. I guess the new axle when ordered was ordered with axle and brakes. Would have been nice to know; I will be talking with the guy who did the replacement for me.

I had talked to Keystone and got the information necessary to order direct replacement of the brakes. I used that information and ordered the brake kits. Surprised opened the box and the backing place,shoes, magnets assemblies are manual adjust. I talked to the supplier and what they sent was exactly what Keystone told me I needed!! I am not upset about this though as honestly I have more faith in my ability to adjust the brakes and keep them in adjustment than the self adjusting kind. I have been known to take a brake spoon and do a quick click or 2 adjust in the RV park if they need. I am happy with the manual adjust.

As to shoe material thickness. Honest these shoes appear to be 1/16" or 1/8" thinner than I remember on shoes of old. But then memory fades over time I suppose!!! Also in days of old I remember a glaze on shoes that needed to be scuffed off and these did not have the glaze. Perhaps the lesser thickness is a result of arcing the shoes and not an attempt lessen manufacturing cost and sell product for the same price!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

One question I have not found and answer for though and maybe you do. How long will the calibration last if 12v removed from the MaxBrake? I am not talking about gain setting just the calibration setting is it in there forever? Reason I ask is I have a disconnect switch that in winter cuts off the 12 volts for long periods and other times maybe off for a week or 2.

You should not have to recalibrate the controller even when unhooked for long periods. I guess there could be a time when you would have to but none of my customers ever called saying this was an issue. Hugs, Di

ps. Thank you for your kind words!

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

DI,

Don't have my owners manual but seem to remember that my calibration was to push the cal button while pushing on the brake pedal to get to 43 - 45 then releasing the pedal. Is not that number the gain? And if so wouldn't going to 10 be very low? BTW I purchased from you guys also and echo Bob's assessment that you have been very helpful.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I am going to upgrade my controller and understand that Max Brake no longer makes a controller. What should I buy?

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

I installed this one http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Hayes/HA100400B.html and it seems to work well in a 1998 Volvo 610. Since it works off of air pressure it should be better than any of the momentum, de-acceleration force based controllers.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I installed this one http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Hayes/HA100400B.html and it seems to work well in a 1998 Volvo 610. Since it works off of air pressure it should be better than any of the momentum, de-acceleration force based controllers.

X2

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks. I looked at that one but was disappointed in lack of feedback it gives. I was hoping for something better than "the red light gets brighter". I will get that one and put a DC amp meter in series with the blue line so that I will know what is happening.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

Archived