MaxBrake & Worn out 5er brakes in 4500 miles!

Bob Cochran

DI,

Don't have my owners manual but seem to remember that my calibration was to push the cal button while pushing on the brake pedal to get to 43 - 45 then releasing the pedal. Is not that number the gain? And if so wouldn't going to 10 be very low? BTW I purchased from you guys also and echo Bob's assessment that you have been very helpful.

With instruction book in hand I have found the following that may help and I will add my thoughts and what I am going to do and why?

Calibration you can read how to do that but push cal button to get in cal mode. Then press brake pedal down and watch the cal number until they get between 40 and 45. This number you do during calibration is not gain it is more like synchronization of brake pedal to the controller and the higher the number is actually less aggressive. I am not sure if explaining it right though. I am thinking with our HDT's we should not use the aggressive setting like 40 but rather higher say 45 which I will use. I have no idea what I used to be honest when I first installed. MaxBrake says this cal number sets how many steps or ticks it will use if that makes sense to you.

Gain High number means more aggressive trailer trailer brakes(This means more voltage and current to the RV brakes) harder braking and lower number means less voltage and current to RV brakes and less aggressive brakes. MaxBrake says most of their customers used a gain number from 35 to 45 I am thinking in my mind that is to high for our HDT's but probably ok for a LDT and I have a feeling though I have not check my gain is somewhere in the 35 to 45 range and part of the problem. I just don't see that the wimpy RV brakes should be adding significant stopping for the 18,000 lbs HDT some of course sure. That is the reason I am going to a gain of 20 to start and see how it goes from there.

Now the Calibration and Gain can be set without RV attached. I will attached Calibration and Gain set as I am curious what the MaxBrake display shows for amps when full brakes applied and voltmeter test of the voltage. Now the fine tune of the Gain needs to be done trial and error when using the RV depending on how the braking is working during braking situations and how you personally want it to feel.

I am sure Di will jump in here if I am off base with my thoughts and make suggestions.

Di thanks for confirming what I thought but did not know for sure. Calibration setting and Gain is basically held in non-volatile memory.

Oh in case somebody was wondering the new axle that replaced the bent one some time ago is made by Rockwell America.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

DI,

Don't have my owners manual but seem to remember that my calibration was to push the cal button while pushing on the brake pedal to get to 43 - 45 then releasing the pedal. Is not that number the gain? And if so wouldn't going to 10 be very low? BTW I purchased from you guys also and echo Bob's assessment that you have been very helpful.

You are correct, Once in awhile when I'm a bit "rusty" on Max Brake customers, I mix up calibration with gain.

We have found that with calibration, quite a few customer press and push the brake pedal at the same time. This can result in improper calibration.

Lets start over with calibration as it's been a long time and I may have misspoke in my post to Bob. I want to give you the most accurate information I have.

Make sure the trailer plug is not plugged in.

With vehicle running take foot off brake pedal

Press and hold the Cal button until message says release Cal button You will see Cal Mode

Look at the left side of the screen for the number next to "A"

Slowly apply pressure to brake pedal until the "A" number is between 40 & 45.

Take foot completely off brake pedal

Press & hold the Cal button until the message says release Cal button. Your Max brake is now calibrated & trained. Make sure your Max Brake tracks with the brake pedal.

The "notes" section in your manual states an initial gain setting to 40 and adjust from there. Most customers use G-35-45.

We always added the note: After calibration, if you have hydraulic disc brakes to set the initial gain to G29.

This is where Dutch always told customers to take the trailer for a ride. You don't have to be going fast or make sudden stops but step on the brake. If you feel the trailer stopping the truck reduce the gain and do again until you no longer feel the trailer stopping you. At that point, turn the gain up 1 or 2 and you will have an even balance of truck and trailer stoppage. Disc brakes on the 5th wheel are not as large as on our trucks and if the gain is set too high, it can result in early wear.

One other note: You do not have to recalibrate if you use a different trailer but you may have to change the gain setting.

Thank you for your lovely comments. If you have any other questions, please feel free to post here or contact me at 941-416-0918 10 am to 10 pm central time or e-mail me at plugitright@gmail.com Hugs, Di

ps do you need a manual. I do have a few left in my "spare parts" bins.

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I am on all the truck forums and so far I haven't heard one customer say they have found a "Match" to the Max Brake. I'm not saying there isn't one out there but I haven't heard of one. I would like to pass the information to my customers who still ask me what is the best if a used MB can't be found. Hugs, Di

I am going to upgrade my controller and understand that Max Brake no longer makes a controller. What should I buy?

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Nothing I can find matches the MB. I also searched for a used one without luck. If anyone knows of a MB for sale, please let me know.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Nothing I can find matches the MB. I also searched for a used one without luck. If anyone knows of a MB for sale, please let me know.

Chet

I have a standard search I do about every 2 days looking for a MaxBrake. None found in 2 years now. Also was looking for a gear master but they are elusive as a MaxBrake.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have a standard search I do about every 2 days looking for a MaxBrake. None found in 2 years now. Also was looking for a gear master but they are elusive as a MaxBrake.

At least you can buy a new Gear Master unlike the MaxBrake at least I think you can. :D

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Ok I have one question and maybe I missed it but how are you hooked up? Directly wiring or jackalopy?

If directly check your wireing. Ralf (Hone eagle) had an issue with the brakes coming on and it took a little investigating but he had the brake wire connected to the light switch. (he does not run the jackalopy) . It ran great untill he turned on the parking lights, then of course he was dragging the trailer down the road. So maybe you have a electrical leak some place. Turn on your lights and check to see if you are engaging the brakes.

Just a thought. The max brake is a great unit and easily fixed, find your issue befor replacing it.

Ok I have one question and maybe I missed it but how are you hooked up? Directly wiring or jackalopy?

If directly check your wireing. Ralf (Hone eagle) had an issue with the brakes coming on and it took a little investigating but he had the brake wire connected to the light switch. (he does not run the jackalopy) . It ran great untill he turned on the parking lights, then of course he was dragging the trailer down the road. So maybe you have a electrical leak some place. Turn on your lights and check to see if you are engaging the brakes.

Just a thought. The max brake is a great unit and easily fixed, find your issue befor replacing it.

Okay I guess left out some information!!! I have the Jackalopee which is the second best thing I have bought beside the ET hitch. I don't believe I have a wiring problem as you said with lights connected to the trailer breaks but just because; I will check that out. HHMMM may have to make up a test plug to make this kind of thing easier to test though I think the Jackalopee LEDs would show the problem.

I hope I did not give the impression I would be replacing the MaxBrake as I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. So unless I do something stupid and burn it up it stays. Though in my later years destroying things is not beyond the realm of possibility!!! :rolleyes:

Okay today I verified there is no miss wiring a good thing. Each new magnet is working as they should when brakes applied.

The MaxBrake I have the Calibration set at 45 and the Gain is sit at 30. When full brake application with brake pedal or Johnson Bar the MaxBrake show 9 amp almost 10 amps was sorta flashing between the 2 number maybe it was 9.5 amps. <_< With the Gain at 20 I started with the I would have to apply about 45 PSI before 1 amp would be registered. When I put the Gain at 30 it would take about 25 PSI for the controller to show 1 amp. I will start at 30 and see how it goes. If I recall correctly I think the HDT brakes will lock and skid tires with 20 PSI of applied air pressure. I have not tested that in awhile so this is only my memory. :unsure:

I did verify no voltage or current is being applied to the RV brakes so there is no dragging happening. I am thinking the wear had to be caused by me having Gain set at to high a number which was 40. I did not drag out the Simpson to independently very current reading was the same and the controller though. I got lazy. :rolleyes:

So a little survey you guys who have the MaxBrake what is your Calibration number if you remember? What is your Gain set at?

Thanks for the help it has been great as usual. :)

Archived