Walmart oil change

Jimalberta

Saw a fellow here in Yuma with a diesel Kountry Star getting an oil change at Walmart for $80. Not bad ......he had to supply his own filter. Wonder if that includes chassis lube.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Who would care if it was extra $? I do my own oil changes and buy my Rotella T at Walmart.

Oil alone cost me $58.11 for 17 qt. Many DP use more oil then my ISB.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Ya I asked the service manager about that...mine holds 24 qts and he said with that much oil it wouldbe about $80. Full chassis lube from the pit was an extra $5.

He said they do lots of DPs.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

While I never had the motorhome serviced at Walmart, I have had my car's oil changes done there many times at numerous different stores. I usually stay where I can observe the work but have never had any problem and know of no incidents where they have put in used oil or anything similar. It doesn't take a lot of mechanic knowledge to change oil and even at a dealer shop you won't find a certified mechanic doing oil changes.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good point Kirk....when I had my MH serviced at home at a diesel shop they put a newby on it. The only time a certified mechanic looked at was when I asked for codes to be read on it. I watched the whole time and was even under the MH inspecting things . And they charged me $800.... Never again. I would say these guys at Walmart are more experienced than that.

As to the comment about used oil.....that is ignorant talk...they dont do that.

By the post. It looks like at least 2 of them were fired from Walmart. :rolleyes:

Or lost their job when Walmart came into the area.

I never have had my DP oil changed(do it myself) at one. But have had my car done there a few times with Mobil 1 Synthetic.

No problems. When I check my dip stick 1-2,000 miles later. It is still clear oil.

My new Toad has 2 years of free oil change service at the Lincoln dealership($69.95 plus tax). Synthetic $50 extra

So in the fall of 2017 it will probably go to Walmart for a oil change. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I have used Walmart for toad oil changes for years... all over the country. Same for tires. I can not recall any issues or problems. I can recall getting oil topped off, tires checked, rotated, etc free of charge.

I would consider taking my gas motorhome there... after talking to the local management. So far, that has not been needed.

Jim

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

No where but Walmart for my changes on my vehicles for about 20yrs. all over the country without a problem. Most but not all vehicle tires too. One negative on the tires is the roadhazard warranty is only good at Walmart. I got a screw in a tire in Benson,AZ that didn't go flat. The local Walmart did not have tire and service so I had to go all the way to Sierra Vista they fixed it but that night it went nearly flat so I aired it up and went all the way back and they got it right this time. So tires there can be problematic.

Only had DW's Jeep oil changed at WM-once. She told me the engine sounded odd, I checked oil level_2qts low, this was 4 days after the oil change. Never again. Our daughter once worked at WM on the sales floor. One day she was told she was transferred to the tire/oil change shop because all employees would be rotated assignment to all jobs.

IMO the best place for oil N filter changes is Speedco. They do have a downside, company policy prohibits employees from entering a MH to perform work. If your filters must be changed from under the bed/inside coach, you must do that.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Walmarts are really squirrely about servicing MHs, in my experience. Sometimes they will do them, sometimes they won't. Not only among Walmarts in different cities but sometimes the same Walmarts at different times. I think that it stems to not-so-well trained people royally screwing things up and WM having to pay for the screw ups. I would think that perhaps the thing to do is to double-check everything, making sure that they tightened the filters, refilled the oil, check the sides to make sure that they didn't rake the side off, etc.

I personally use a home-town guy that owns a garage. I buy the oil, filters, etc. He changes the oil, filters, lubes it, checks the belts, hoses, and other things that need checking and charges me about $ 80.00, depending what additional things he finds. I figure the best thing I get for my $ 80 is peace of mind. Worth a lot!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

• 3 weeks later...

I buy my tires from them, and let them change my trucks oil too. I've a friend that is a certified mechanicthough and he services the coach for me.

I'm lucky. Air filter, water filter on the fuel line, tranny filters and all the fluid changes when needed costs lunch and dinner cooked by my wife. Maybe a piece of my artwork once in awhile. I have to supply all the parts though.

Last time he even spotted a worn wire near the front right tire, and took care of that....

If I were to let Walmart do it, I'd give them a copy of the Cat instructions for doing so....

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

Never would let Walmart change my oil in anything. I once took an old truck there to have the oil changed, I had to show him where to add the oil back. No more. I would not trust them!

For my Journey we make an annual trip to the Freightliner service center in Gaffney, SC for service. They do a great job. Check all the things that need service at a fair price and have a place to park.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Howdy!

As fulltimers it is difficult to change the oil myself now especially with a large MDT. I once took ours MDT to Walmart in Bangor, Maine as we just came our of Canada and needed and oil change. They stated they could do it no problem while we waited. We shopped and waited and waited and three hours later they advised it was ready. When I asked why it took so long they showed me a clear plastic hose which connected to the bottom of te funnel used to put oil into the engine. Stating the hose had come off and they had spent the last three hours getting it out. No more Walmart I use SpeedCo for oil changes now and I also watch them do it.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

• 4 weeks later...

Had my car oil changed just before a trip north.Person bent the rod holding hood open to stick it in a hole he found somewhere in the hood but not where it was supposed to go.Filled the windshield washer with plain water that froze on the trip splitting the reservoir.When I complained on return manager said it never gets cold in Florida.Not what the local weather man says.

... For my Journey we make an annual trip to the Freightliner service center in Gaffney, SC for service. They do a great job. Check all the things that need service at a fair price and have a place to park.

Safe Travels!

Just priced an oil change and service at Freightliner in Yakima, WA. $600+. Speedco in Oregon $250 and change and no sales tax. Yep, Speedco is getting the business.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

8 yrs with a 1 ton diesel Ford, WM under filled once, over filled twice and put the wrong oil in once. The hire inexperienced people they can get for minimum wage. No more! We now have a MH and go to Speedco in Kingman AZ and pay $250 with experienced mechanics.

Archived