Tires

elishaman

I need advise on replacing the china oem tires on my 5th wheel.  It came with st235x75r15 brand x tires.  I am considering going to a Bridgstone Duravis m700 light truck tire in a 225x75r16. The Bridgstone Duravis is within 1" height of the size of the 15" that are on it now.  I have used the Duravis on other travel trailers with great results.  Of course I would have to buy new 16" custom wheels which will run about $110 each.  My other thought was to just replace the 15" tires that came on it with Goodyear Endurance.  I have has bad experience with Goodyear marathons.  I know the Endurance is suppose to be a completely redesigned tire trying to bring people with bad Marathon experience  back to Goodyear.   We are planning a cross country trip next year and the last thing I need to worry about is a catastrophic tire failure.  Please let me now your opinions.

I replaced my China bombs with a set of Mitchelin XPS Ribs. Great tire, nice side wall and in almost 5 years of operation I hardly ever had to add air. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

17 hours ago, elishaman said:

We are planning a cross country trip next year and the last thing I need to worry about is a catastrophic tire failure.  Please let me now your opinions.

Whatever tires you get, add a tire pressure monitor system if you don't have one already.  I like TST, but there are others.

We put Goodyear Endurance on our 5W over a year ago and have been happy with them.  No problems and they are wearing well.

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

On 6/19/2019 at 5:20 PM, Twotoes said:

I replaced my China bombs with a set of Mitchelin XPS Ribs. Great tire, nice side wall and in almost 5 years of operation I hardly ever had to add air. 

My second summer with these tires and so far they are great.  I have only put about 4k miles on them but so far have not had to add any air.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

2 hours ago, chief916 said:

Replaced my bombs with Sailun S637's two years ago and we have been cross country twice.  When it comes time to replace them I will use Sailun's again.  

This is good to know.  Others have said good things about the Sailun tires.  I have been running XPS Ribs with excellent results but the expense for tires that age out with only minimal wear is maybe not worth it.  The Sailun's are less than 1/2 the price.  How heavy is your RV?

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

8 hours ago, chief916 said:

Replaced my bombs with Sailun S637's two years ago and we have been cross country twice.  When it comes time to replace them I will use Sailun's again.  

We run Sailun’s on a farm flatbed lots of grabbel roads. Never loaded heavy because of the door stickers on the tow mobiles😉

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

12 hours ago, chief916 said:

That is my experience too, great tires. I put Sailuns on our MH last year due to the experience with them on our 5er, they run great on the MH too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 6/21/2019 at 12:54 PM, Randyretired said:

This is good to know.  Others have said good things about the Sailun tires.  I have been running XPS Ribs with excellent results but the expense for tires that age out with only minimal wear is maybe not worth it.  The Sailun's are less than 1/2 the price.  How heavy is your RV?

The Sailun's are on my toy hauler.  It's a 4100 King.  It weighs 18000 or so and would I guess go over 20k when I load my smart car.  My TT is brand new and they have Westlakes on them.  I don't know anything about them but the sales guy said I think 5 yr guarantee.  So we'll have to wait and see and the TT weighs about 7800 lbs.