Looking for truck repair place in or around Riverside, CA.

HERO Maker

Heading West a week ago, I had the coolant temp raise high enough to give me a warning.  Kept watching it and it would go away on flat or downhills, and then return going up minor grades.  Could not see any leaks, or evidence of leaks, but the sensor on tank did look pretty bad.

So I'm wondering if anybody knows of, or especially has had experience with a repair facility in or around the Riverside, CA. area?  I would normally tear into this myself (unless I needed to replace the radiator) but I'm pretty busy and only here for a short time.

I'm thinking a total flush and replacement (after checking for leaks) along with all rad hoses replaced.  A little preventive maintenance since I haven't done it all since I've owned it (2009) and I did lose the fuel heater line about 8 yrs ago.

Thanks if advance for the help guys.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

TruckDown . I wasn't sure of which section of Riverside you were in, so I guessed. Play with the link to see if there's a closer shop. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Call http://www.coltontruckterminalgarage.com/service.html. They have a good reputation in this area. I haven’t had a need to use them yet. If they can’t help you then maybe they can refer you to someone else. Sorry it’s not in Riverside proper but close by. Lots of truck shops and dealerships in Fontana and the surrounding areas. Still close by...

Edited by DesertMiner

Had a great conversation with Colton Truck Terminal Garage and he recommended not flushing the system unless it was contaminated.  Flushing it could cause other problems by breaking something loose.  Just a replacement of the coolant.  Problem is he is 1 month out before they can look at it.   $120 per hour.  Might be 3 hours changing hoses.

Talked with SOS (part of the TruckDown system) and he was not too sure about replacing the hoses or if they were available.  MIght drive over to have them take a look, but then I can see what the operation looks like.  $110 per hour.

Anybody know the best way to test the thermostat to make sure it's working?  I was having a tough time hearing if my fan was kicking on because of a head wind coming thru the pass on I 10. 

Left a message for Valley Volvo to talk with them since I will be there for about 3 weeks next month.

Thanks again for any help.

Edited by HERO Maker

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

When was the last time the radiators were hosed from the outside?  Any possibility that dirt/bugs/crude has built up ion the fins and tubes causing a loss of cooling ability?  Every once and a while if I see a self service car wash with a tall bay I'll pull in and pull the hood.  The first time, just using the engine degreaser and power rinse I cleaned all the crude from between our radiators.  Temps dropped 5 degrees back to 180ish.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

What Jim said. When  (if) time comes to test the thermostat, use a piece of cardboard to block off the rad and go for a run. Will also test the fan switch. Don't forget to keep an eye on the temp gauge. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

12 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

What Jim said. When  (if) time comes to test the thermostat, use a piece of cardboard to block off the rad and go for a run. Will also test the fan switch. Don't forget to keep an eye on the temp gauge. 

Same thing happened to me on my way to Sturgis SD this past year.  No big truck shops anywhere close.  I locked my fan in and drove close to 200 miles to Belfourch where we had reservations and they had a great truck repair facility.  They ended up changing both thermostats and they also put fresh coolant in and power washed the radiator.  Locking my fan in was what got me down the road.

Best of luck to you.

First all what engine do you have.

Several years ago my N14 was sorta getting warm on long hard pulls. Then I had a warning light come on. I think as it was maybe 5 years ago. Pull over and let it cool down. We were going up a steep grade going to Vernal Utah from Price Utah. So after it idled and cooled down we continued on to Vernal. Next morning started truck and only 10 lbs air pressure . Changed air governor as it was a quick fix. It fixed the air problem. And now the fan was operating better, as in coming on at a slightly lower temperature and doing its thing.

So about three years ago we were stuck in Montana till bad weather hit. So the fan quit turning off about 400 miles from Arizona. No time to check it as tired of bad weather and DW was recovering from rotator cuff surgery. So it was get to winter spot fast.

The fan switch was bad and stuck on. Replaced switch and fan now operating as it should.

Then last fall the engine started to get above normal temps faster and cool down slower. So I had started to read on the net about the N14 in our truck and it has two thermostats. Now there was a problem on what gasket this N14 needed for the thermostat housing. So I ordered another thermostat and the gasket after talking to a dealer in Utah.

Got the second thermostat and gasket. Went out to look at situation . Ok called dealer with engine serial number. That's the gasket he said. So I said send me a gasket stretcher. He said what.

So I gave him the serial number again and he said he would call Cummins. Now he was a Cummins dealer.

Cummins solution is there is no gasket. If you have a Cummins N14 it may not use a gasket if you have two thermostats. The thermostats have a rubber seal that goes over the edge of the thermostat. That is what seals it.

On another note the water pump tube gets o'rings . They sent me square rings, possibly for a single thermostat housing.

So we just traveled around Arizona, Utah, Wyoming and Montana in the last month and I sorta push it at times and now it works as it should.

So if you have a Cummins N14 there could be several different possible problems or a combination of them.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

14 hours ago, chief916 said:

Same thing happened to me on my way to Sturgis SD this past year.  No big truck shops anywhere close.  I locked my fan in and drove close to 200 miles to Belfourch where we had reservations and they had a great truck repair facility.  They ended up changing both thermostats and they also put fresh coolant in and power washed the radiator.  Locking my fan in was what got me down the road.

Best of luck to you.

Obtw my engine is Detroit 60 series 11.1...it came with the truck, 1997 Volvo WIA 64.  We left Snow Hill NC and traveled to Iowa 80 truck stop and the next morning thought I'd better top off with fuel.  Did a visual on the tanks and it matched what my gages were telling me...1400 miles on a half tank of fuel.  Thought I might try to make the run up to Belfourch sd. But DW said we better top off at the truck stop.  I was really surprised at the milage a series 60 11.1 can get.

Did you get your truck in to get looked at? I love colton truck terminal, but often times the lead time to get in is way too long.  So i often use Direct Truck & Auto Repair, which is just around the corner in San Bernardino.  Now they are pretty much my first choice, if I really need something done quick and basic,   P & S Truck repair they do a decent job, and reasonably priced.

Interesting you would post that yesterday.  I didn't see it until this morning.

While having lunch yesterday with a childhood friend since 3rd grade, he admitted he was sorry for not telling me earlier about a golf buddy of his who has a truck repair business.  Yes, it is Darrin, owner of Direct Truck & Auto Repair.  I took the truck there late yesterday afternoon and had a great conversation with him.  Will see what he finds today.

So your post was great confirmation!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

I did run the truck motor at our campsite on Monday (most campers had cleared out), and the fan was coming on and off as it should.  Watched as a drip of water dropped to the ground while the motor was cold.  Never increased when temps came up!!  And was not hot!!  Might have been coolant in the extra tank on top.   I believe the temp normally runs with needle straight up (about 190) on the gauge, but it had been a lot more than that when coming west.  Darrin is first going to spray both directions on the radiator and see what comes out.  He is really looking for a fine silt, that is common for clogging these up.

Edited by HERO Maker

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry