Securing trailer from theft while hitched to truck

Jake P.

Hello; First time travel trailer owner to be. We are picking up a small camper trailer (basically a bed on wheels) in two weeks and will be traveling 2,000 miles to bring it home. We have never towed or owned a trailer before, so this is new to us. We'll be staying at motels on our way home for several nights while the trailer is still hitched to the truck. What's the best way to ensure that someone doesn't unhitch the trailer from the truck and take off with it while we are sleeping in the motel? The trailer only weighs about 1200 lbs. I know there are anti-theft devices out there for when you are camping and the trailer is unhitched, but I can't seem to find anything on securing the trailer while it is still hitched to the truck and parked in a parking lot overnight.Thanks in advance.

I’d make sure the insurance was in effect first thing. Then I’d take a small SS cable and thread it thru the wheels (one will do) and around the axle. You’ll at least have the box, and satisfaction the you ruined their day.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

To keep the trailer locked to the hitch I would suggest a coupler lock such as this one. 

41nMq8Fc4OL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

When detached from the tow vehicle this type works better.

31u-98hjx4L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Edited by Kirk Wood

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

But keep in mind that thieves now have access to battery powered tools and diamond cutting blades that will cut through such locks in less than a minute.  So the post about having insurance in place is a good one.

Depending on whether you are as paranoid as I am - and admittedly, few people are 😀 - you could think outside the box a bit.  Let the air out of your trailer tires and take the valve stem cores with you.  Put the cores back in the next morning and reinflate with one of those 12 volt compressors.  What are the odds that thieves will have valve cores and a compressor with them?  Or will risk taking the time to deal with the problem?

That's in addition to the locks, of course . . .

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

1 hour ago, Optimistic Paranoid said:

But keep in mind that thieves now have access to battery powered tools and diamond cutting blades that will cut through such locks in less than a minute.

Very unusual to happen just to steal a small travel trailer that is sitting in a motel parking area which is most likely lighted. 

53 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Why don't you just buy stay in it at a campground? Then there is no problem.

You should stay in it a few nights at the dealer to make sure everything is working OK. Not just pick it up and go.

Where did you get the idea they were buying it from a dealer?  Where did you get the idea that they want to stay in a campground?  They asked how to secure it at motels, that leads me to believe that they want to stay at motels.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

18 minutes ago, SWharton said:

It may be they never thought of staying in it, newbies.

Even more likely, they bought it with nothing inside. No bedding, no dishes, no pots or pans, no anything. And they have no experience they want to take it home and start learning. It sounds like a good plan to me. 

On 10/23/2018 at 8:26 AM, Jake P. said:

Hello; First time travel trailer owner to be. We are picking up a small camper trailer (basically a bed on wheels) in two weeks and will be traveling 2,000 miles to bring it home. We have never towed or owned a trailer before, so this is new to us. We'll be staying at motels on our way home for several nights while the trailer is still hitched to the truck. What's the best way to ensure that someone doesn't unhitch the trailer from the truck and take off with it while we are sleeping in the motel? The trailer only weighs about 1200 lbs. I know there are anti-theft devices out there for when you are camping and the trailer is unhitched, but I can't seem to find anything on securing the trailer while it is still hitched to the truck and parked in a parking lot overnight.Thanks in advance.

Thank you guys for these suggestions. We will be towing the small camper trailer from MN to AZ in mid-November. We purchased it directly through a small builder (Escapade Campers) in Dassel, MN. We looked through a RV trip website ( I believe it was Good Sam) and could not find any campground that will be open during the time of our traveling. Rest areas and Walmart parking lots seem like a good alternative to a motel as they will provide the needed facilities. We'll be staying at a few motels on our drive up to MN and will check out if their parking lots are big enough to park the trailer and the truck and perhaps we can stay at the same motels on the way home.

I would look at allstays.com and check off "open all year". You will also find many Mom and Pop cgs along the road that might be open, they do not advertise. Once you get out of the north you should be fine.

Since you are new to this you will be able to travel 250-350/day without exhausting yourself.

Since this is a new trailer and you are buying it from the factory they should have a small cg to stay at, probably only electric, to check out the trailer. Take advantage of it for at least 1-2 night. Nothing worse than getting on the road and something not working or your not knowing how to use/start it.

I have previously towed a UHAUL that I was worried about being stolen while at hotels.  I got a driveway chime like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

When I parked, I discretely tie-wrapped the sensor to the bottom of the tongue pointed downward.  Then I put the sensor on the nightstand next to where I was sleeping.  That way, if the trailer is moved the chime (alarm) will go off.  Of course, you need to park the trailer within 200-300 feet of your room so we selected a hotel with that in mind.

1 hour ago, Jake P. said:

We purchased it directly through a small builder (Escapade Campers) in Dassel, MN.

Wow these are TINY.  Awesome little campers, but like you said, basically a bed on wheels.  So yeah...you'll need a campground open with bathrooms and such since they aren't self-contained.  That makes a LOT of difference.  Sure, you can use bathrooms in anyplace 24 hour, but do you want to?  Truck stops and 24 hour Wal-Marts are best bets until you are back down south where winter isn't off season. 

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

Out motel of choice is Comfort Inn and they are spaced fairly well for driving south from Minneapolis. Three nights on the road puts us in Texas where all the parks are open.

Becky, of Interstellar Orchard, recently bought a similar trailer. You can read about her new systems here: https://interstellarorchard.com

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Rest a little easy...I have never heard of a trailer being stolen off the tow vehicle...anywhere. I'm sure it has happened somewhere at sometime but the odds have to be 1000's to one. Put a padlock on it, make sure it is in a well lit space and you will be fine. FIY, I have stayed in many motels--usually the cheaper ones--where there are always long unoccupied areas in the parking lot. Motel 6, Motel 8, Red Roof...those types. 

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Probably wouldn't hurt a normal, healthy adult permanently.

What if the thief had a pacemaker?  I don't know what effect such a shock would have on that.

You might wind up looking at an involuntary manslaughter charge . . .

(Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Take a deep breath and relax. I really doubt anyone even knows someone who has had a small trailer stolen while attached to the tow vehicle. Your vehicle insurance policy should cover any trailer while attached to it, double check with them to make sure. A cheap padlock through the trailer hitch will deter a casual thief; nothing will deter a determined thief.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

15 hours ago, jimnina said:

Another option if you stay at a hotel look at a parking area where you can back up against another vehicle, fence, building, or curb.

12 hours ago, theeyres said:

Rest a little easy...I have never heard of a trailer being stolen off the tow vehicle...anywhere. I'm sure it has happened somewhere at sometime but the odds have to be 1000's to one. 

It is easier, and much more likely, for them to steal the entire combination (truck and trailer). I live in a large metro area and would NEVER park a truck and trailer (especially a U-Haul type) at a hotel. A travel trailer might be different but I'd rather buy a small genset and stay, in the trailer, in a parking lot. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo