Securing trailer from theft while hitched to truck

Jake P.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:43 AM, Optimistic Paranoid said:

(Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

Dammit John, I almost choked on my herbal tea! Not only on topic but hilarious.

It is against the law everywhere to booby trap, AFAIK.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The insurance is your first step, as it is the only thing that is completely dependable. Have your bill of sale with you in the hotel room as well as good pictures of the vehicle and trailer. That way, if something happens, you will have something to show the police and insurance people.

Every once in a while I see a post of airforums about a stolen Airstream, and all of these ideas (and more) pop up. There is nothing you can do to stop a determined thief other than have an armed guard standing watch. There is a video out showing someone "stealing" a trailer in less than a minute. This was a demonstration, not an actual theft. The "thief" wrapped a stout chain around the hitch and through the tongue tight enough that the trailer wouldn't drop. He then hooked up the electrical connection, raised the tongue jack, and took off. The hitch lock was still in place.

Deflating the tires is a good way to ruin said tires. I'd put a couple of jack stands under the axle first, then deflate the tires. Of course, since you are staying only one night, and then moving on, you probably won't have much to worry about. By the time a professional thief spots your rig and figures out how to steal it you will be long gone. Your bigger concern will be once you are home.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

For all of the replies and warnings, I have never heard of a travel trailer having been stolen while attached to the tow vehicle. They do get stolen occasionally but not all that frequently. A simple lock and insurance are all that is reasonably needed. Perhaps parking to prevent access to the trailer as mentioned might not be a bad idea either but it really is unlikely. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The theft of a travel trailer rarely makes the news, because the theft isn't really newsworthy, just like the theft of a car or truck (about a million stolen annually). But on occasion the theft of a truck and a trailer will make the news for one reason or another. While most of these are utility trailers there are some travel trailers in the mix.

ONE                                      FIVE                                       NINE
TWO                                     SIX                                          TEN
THREE                                 SEVEN     
FOUR                                   EIGHT           

It is easier to steal the whole thing (truck and trailer) than the trailer alone, unless you are speaking of stealing a trailer that is in storage. Theft from hotel parking lots is quite common...it's a buffet for a thief.               

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We used boots because they cover the wheel lugnuts and while they can be defeated, it takes a lot more than a quick snip with bolt cutters. And they are relatively inexpensive. These are a 2 pack for $79.99: https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Wheel-Clamp-Heavy-duty-Parking/dp/B07589TJW1/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1541195569&sr=8-6&keywords=trailer+wheel+locks+clamp+boot&dpID=51Hj0EQ7htL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch#customerReviews

I used a padlock on my boat trailers. We also see a bunch of boats and trailers for sale with no paperwork indicating they were stolen at some point in the past.

I don't use anything on my Scamp It uses a ball hitch like a travel trailer, but high as a 5th wheel. It would be hard to steal unless they spent some money for a hitch.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 4 years later...

Prevention is a simple and effective do-it-yourself trailer lock. Installing an alarm system is the best defense against burglars taking your trailer.

Modern alarms are equipped with sensors that make noise and flash a light when someone approaches or tries to move the vehicle. The fact that the car is being guarded may serve as a reminder to thieves.