Jump to content
Phil Saran

Honda 2000i or Predator Generators?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, RV_ said:

a Honda 305 "Dream" 

 

Continuing off topic... that was my first motorcycle when I was 13.  Had a wind-screen and saddle bags.  Rode that thing for 4 years, miss it, had a ton of fun on it as a kid!

Edited by NDBirdman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had two champions hitched together they are 2 something k and sometimes they would run the ac and sometimes  not. It seemed to depend on how the compressor stopped or the altitude or something.  I talked to a man with a Honda 3000 and he found the same thing. My Yamaha 6500 has never had a problem and I can run ac and microwave and it still is only just off idle. When at home I move it to the garage for power outages and I can run the TV, frige and furnace as well as some lights all on the fuel saver mode. It goes out side to run.

I had the Champions about 4 years before I started to have starting problems my parents had there Honda 2000 about 15 before they had any trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ND,

I had a girl riding behind me on the 305 the year before I got married and the rear tire blew out at 60 mph, although wobbly, I managed to get it stopped without going down. They were the best of the beach music era bikes. Back to topic.

Lance, maybe you might want to call those folks with the soft start system for $300 Roy posted about and sell one of the generators to pay for it once you know it works. https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters

 

Edited by RV_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 10:52 AM, Donna said:

  Could anyone help me how to find advice on what size Generator to purchase?  Enough to run an air conditioner that is 13500 BTU  

 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:06 AM, NDBirdman said:

I run a Honda 2200i in a 30 amp RV with 13.5 A/C.  We boondocked quite a bit last year, never had a problem with power.  Ran A/C in the afternoons when it got hot out, never popped a breaker.  We have a micro/w but don't use it much, just turn off the A/C while using it.  At night, when the temps lowered a little, we open the bedroom windows, run a fan and 2 CPAPs and never a problem on eco mode, it runs a little under 9 hours one tank of gas.  I have ran it off eco mode in 90-degree temps and the A/C never stopped but it did take a tank of fuel about every 4ish hours.  During the day with the A/C running I will also run a TV/DVD player, couple lights if we need, no problems.  I thought about getting the 2200i companion to run both connected but so far, have not found a reason to spend $1,400 or so.  Bought the first one on sale for around $950 plus taxes.

 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:35 AM, rbertalotto said:

I installed an Easy Start  https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters on my AC and have no problem running it on one Honda 2000i. But when boondocking for a longer period of time, I run two Honda 2000i. They run quieter and I don't have to think about "Watt Management".....I run them off a remote 5gal gas can and they run for a couple days. I also think that running two units puts less stress on them, even with the soft start. Here is a review on my web site http://rvbprecision.com/rv-projects/micro-air-easy-start-rv-ac.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2018 at 5:24 PM, The Quiet Assassin said:

Remember to budget for some form of anti theft device. High tensile chain and a matching padlock as a minimum.

One of my bosses growing up told me once, “Locks keep honest people honest.  If someone really wants it, they will get it.”  It has stuck with me.

Edited by rynosback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Motorcycle cable locks are a good option for this.  That's what I'm using, because I have one that I never use on the motorcycle.  Someone gave it to me, and I'm simply not at all in fear of my motorcycle being stolen.  So it became a lock for "stuff."  The advantage of this one (and many motorcycle locks) is a built-in motion alarm.  So in any camping area, it would draw attention to a thief.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rynosback said:

One of my bosses growing up told me once, “Locks keep honest people honest.  If someone really wants it, they will get it.”  It has stuck with me.

Just because it "stuck" with you, doesn't make it true.  Many thefts, especially from vehicles, are opportunity thefts.  I had a bicycle stolen from beside my RV one night.  It was found in a ditch a couple of miles away and next to a subdivision.  Most likely some kid got tired of walking and saw my bike just sitting there.  I doubt it would have been stolen if I had put a cable and lock around it.

An item like a generator unsecured in the back of a pickup truck is like eye candy to a thief.  Snatch and grab, impulsive, quick in and out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, even the lightest little cable lock is a deterrent to casual theft.  There are different levels of dishonest.  Growing up, I knew a couple of people in my school who literally thought that "if it's not locked, it's not stealing if I take it."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Just because it "stuck" with you, doesn't make it true.  Many thefts, especially from vehicles, are opportunity thefts.  I had a bicycle stolen from beside my RV one night.  It was found in a ditch a couple of miles away and next to a subdivision.  Most likely some kid got tired of walking and saw my bike just sitting there.  I doubt it would have been stolen if I had put a cable and lock around it.

An item like a generator unsecured in the back of a pickup truck is like eye candy to a thief.  Snatch and grab, impulsive, quick in and out.

Let’s just say you had a clear, translucent indestructible box with $1,000,000 of cash in it.  If you did not secure it to a strong fixed point, it would be stolen.  Even an honest person might be tempted to steal your $1,000,000 if it was not secured at all.  If you put a cheap chain on it, it more then likely would be taken.   If you put a HEAVY duty chain on it it would be less likely.  This is the point of the saying, Locks keep honest people honest.  I bet most honest people would be tempted to steal your $1,000,000 cash in a box if they could just walk up and cary it away and get away with it.  

The less effort needed to take something is more likely to be taken.

Edited by rynosback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  Your definition of "honest" really scares me.  I certainly hope you are not right, and I know know that for my close friends, nothing like that is true.  That theory is much like the hoodlums I mentioned from school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Let’s just say you had a clear, translucent indestructible box with $1,000,000 of cash in it.  If you did not secure it to a strong fixed point, it would be stolen.  Even an honest person might be tempted to steal your $1,000,000 if it was not secured at all.  If you put a cheap chain on it, it more then likely would be taken.   If you put a HEAVY duty chain on it it would be less likely.  This is the point of the saying, Locks keep honest people honest.  I bet most honest people would be tempted to steal your $1,000,000 cash in a box if they could just walk up and cary it away and get away with it.  

The less effort needed to take something is more likely to be taken.

We're not talking about $1,000,000, we're talking about a generator.  An honest person wouldn't steal your generator if you accidentally put it in their campsite.  A thief will steal it out of your campsite, unless you put a cable and lock around it.  So, you don't need a lock to keep an honest person from stealing your generator, but you might need one to keep a thief from taking it.

Edited by chirakawa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And for thieves, you just need to have a lesser opportunity/reward ratio than the rest of the campground.  My friend with a junky open-frame generator doesn't have to worry about theft if he puts a string on it and there are unlocked good generators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

We're not talking about $1,000,000, we're talking about a generator.  An honest person wouldn't steal your generator if you accidentally put it in their campsite.  A thief will steal it out of your campsite, unless you put a cable and lock around it.  So, you don't need a lock to keep an honest person from stealing your generator, but you might need one to keep a thief from taking it.

I never said that your neighbor would steal it.  It is OK if we agree to disagree.  Some people get the saying and some don’t.  It just stuck with me.  Just like the pen is mightier then a sword. No need to comment on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Carlos said:

And for thieves, you just need to have a lesser opportunity/reward ratio than the rest of the campground.  My friend with a junky open-frame generator doesn't have to worry about theft if he puts a string on it and there are unlocked good generators.

Thanks, you get it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Thanks, you get it.  

Sadly, you are probably right, but it is not a good commentary on our world. To me, honesty is the person in Tyler who got home with a container that he bought cheap from Goodwill and then discovered a large amount of money inside($500+). It made the local news as he then went to great lengths to trace who had donated the item and returned the money. I do believe that most people are pretty honest, but few are absolutely so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rynosback said:

I never said that your neighbor would steal it.  It is OK if we agree to disagree.  Some people get the saying and some don’t.  It just stuck with me.  Just like the pen is mightier then a sword. No need to comment on that one.

I get it fine, it's just doesn't happen to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

I get it fine, it's just doesn't happen to be true.

Again, we can agree to disagree.  Safe travels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People often mention the  availability of Honda parts.  It's extremely unlikely you'll ever need them.  And the comparative word is "than", not "then."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 3:19 PM, Kirk W said:

Sadly, you are probably right, but it is not a good commentary on our world. To me, honesty is the person in Tyler who got home with a container that he bought cheap from Goodwill and then discovered a large amount of money inside($500+). It made the local news as he then went to great lengths to trace who had donated the item and returned the money. I do believe that most people are pretty honest, but few are absolutely so. 

I believe you are right in your assessment of modern society.  Most thefts are a crime of opportunity IMO, I think there is a very small percentage of dedicated thieves.

When we carried our Boliy genset in the truckbed, the main reason I had it secured with a 3/16" cable was to keep it from bouncing into, and getting damaged by the 5er hitch; anti-theft was a side-effect. How much security would it insure when the handles are plastic?

 I once saw a man had  his genset chained to the trailer bumper with a 3/8" chain -shiny and strong looking, the padlock looked like it came from a dollar store;  still the genset had plastic handle supports, guess there was logic somewhere.

Edited by Ray,IN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RV_

Thanks for the kind works on the projects posted on my web site....

Yes.."Birds of a feather...." It always amazes me on how many hobbies us RV folks share......Seems RVs, Firearms, Motorcycles.....Are shared by a majority of RV folks.....Add hunting, fishing and RC planes......And you got just about all hobby bases covered!

Thanks again!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

It always amazes me on how many hobbies us RV folks share......Seems RVs, Firearms, Motorcycles.....Are shared by a majority of RV folks.....Add hunting, fishing and RC planes......And you got just about all hobby bases covered!

Add trains to your list. Lots of rail fans on here. Both model trains and full size ones.

Our first rented motorhome trip was following the BN tracks along Hwy 2 from Minnesota to the east coast then back along UP tracks along Hwy 30.

And we built many model railroads over the years. https://www.sandsys.org/modelrr/modelbuilt/

And my Dave still participates in operating model railroads as if they were full sized railroads several times a month.

A good hobby with lots of aspects to it.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

..." It always amazes me on how many hobbies us RV folks share......Seems RVs, Firearms, Motorcycles.....Are shared by a majority of RV folks.....Add hunting, fishing and RC planes......And you got just about all hobby bases covered!

I doubt that a majority of us have all of those but I'd suspect that a clear majority have at least one or two from that list. Another that is pretty common is photography, as long as you include we pure amateurs in the group. I believe a lot of us fish at least some but haven't come across too many who hunt although many of us did so at one time. If you live in an RV it is problematic what to do with the meat from any of the larger game animals. I haven't ever done the RV planes but see a lot of photo buffs adding a drone to the hoppy equipment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 6:06 AM, Yarome said:

Exact case in point! 2008's run monthly, parrallel kit and 30hrs on em (barely up for their first oil change)... $1200 was "extremely" fair pricing. 😉

 

I would not think that many years on the same oil is not healthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roy,

YW! I try to check out member websites and have really enjoyed them and yours was up there with the other good ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd go with the Honda EU series of any others due to the wide availability of service for them if you ever need service.  Yes you pay more, but you get peace of mind.

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

Shade My RV



×
×
  • Create New...