Pilot/Flying J Credit Card

SuiteSuccess

I have been using PenFed Credit Card with 5% cash back for fuel purchases.  Was reading about the Pilot/Flying J RV plus card and it says can be swiped at pump, won’t shut off unless credit limit exceeded, and minimum of 5 cents off cash price.  We always pay off balance on our credit cards monthly so that requirement is no problem.  For those that have it two questions 1.  Assume no need to go in to store if you can swipe at the pump? 2.  Pros or cons of this card?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I've had that card for a few years now. YES, the card WILL activate the pump without needing anyone to go inside. A Good Sam membership gets an additional discount too. Once a month, you'll receive a bill for whatever you charge on your card (fuel, DEF, purchases inside the store etc). If you have not charged anything, you won't get a bill that month. I set everything up to work electronically. If I remember correctly, initial set up involved actually mailing some paperwork in but, once that was done, I do everything online now.

With the Plus card, you only get the 5 cent or so discount, while your PenFed Visa card gives you a 5% rebate. For the best of both worlds, we use our Good Sam "Swipe & Save" membership card at PFJ for the 5 cent discount when the pump asks for our loyalty card, and then pay with our PenFed Visa Cash Rewards card for the additional 5% rebate. At $2.50 per gallon, that's about 17 cents off.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Carl, we have the RV plus card and the discount is 8 cents per gallon off the cash price for diesel fuel. The 5 cent discount is on gas purchases. About the only time we use ours is on the road away from home base and to buy DEF local as it is a LOT cheaper that way.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

With the Plus card, you only get the 5 cent or so discount, while your PenFed Visa card gives you a 5% rebate. For the best of both worlds, we use our Good Sam "Swipe & Save" membership card at PFJ for the 5 cent discount when the pump asks for our loyalty card, and then pay with our PenFed Visa Cash Rewards card for the additional 5% rebate. At $2.50 per gallon, that's about 17 cents off.

The last time I went by a PFJ fuel was $ .20 cent higher than a local station. Original FJ's where a good place till bought out by Pilot. When using my HDT with 2-150 gals I get by with one local fill up. My Ford F350 has to use truck stops to get there and home.

1 hour ago, beemergary said:

The last time I went by a PFJ fuel was $ .20 cent higher than a local station. Original FJ's where a good place till bought out by Pilot. When using my HDT with 2-150 gals I get by with one local fill up. My Ford F350 has to use truck stops to get there and home.

I haven't tracked PFJ's diesel prices, Gary, so I have no idea how they compare to other stations in the same area. I've generally found their gas prices to be very competitive though.

Dutch

I am of the same ilk as Gary, the PFJ, Loves etc. are generally higher than the stations off the highway.    I use gas buddy if I travel and find gas prices vary widely in just a few miles.     Some places you can't get into but, many have a diesel pump out in the open.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Does this card start the high flow truck pumps?  Or does it just work at the front islands?

Jim, it works at the truck pumps, you just need to enter a pass code that you set up to get started. I agree that they are higher priced but when I am on the road, I know that I will fit in a truck stop without any issues.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

9 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I haven't tracked PFJ's diesel prices, Gary, so I have no idea how they compare to other stations in the same area. I've generally found their gas prices to be very competitive though.

I am in Michigan and you can find a $ .20 difference in 10 mi. FJ's had the cheapest fuel when they first appeared. There still the nicest place to go.

Carl the discount at FJ with the FJ card is based on what Good Sam membership you have. We get 8 cents off the cash price swipe at truck pumps like David said. We have lifetime GS membership. It’s a bit lower with other levels. 

We do have to go in to get receipt. 

We also set up auto pay to not be limited monthly on amount. When we are rolling we can hit limit on a rare occasion. Also hard for us to pay bill on road due to Canadian. 

We also prefer the convenience of FJ and fresh fuel. Smaller station are a royal PIA for us. We may be paying 4-5 cents more from our experience in the end. 

Your value may be better with the 5% off though. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Hi Everyone,

Here is a rookie question for you. ( you can laugh if you want to ). To use your Good Sam swipe & save card, do you swipe that card first, then your credit card second ? I have never used a savings card before. For fuel prices on P/FJ in my area, you can see $0.20 / $0.30 difference. Right now the price is $3.15 / gallon for diesel.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

18 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

This is what I've done for years.  Either the Good Sam card or the myRewards card will take care of starting the pump without a limit and get you the cash price, then you add the extra 5% with the credit card.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

6 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Here is a rookie question for you. ( you can laugh if you want to ). To use your Good Sam swipe & save card, do you swipe that card first, then your credit card second ? I have never used a savings card before. For fuel prices on P/FJ in my area, you can see $0.20 / $0.30 difference. Right now the price is $3.15 / gallon for diesel.

Al

The pump display will ask you to swipe your loyalty card. Sometimes it asks after you swipe your credit card, but sometimes the loyalty card goes first. Following the instructions on the display will get you there either way.

Dutch

20 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Al

At the RV Island pumps. Most have changed over to Pay at the Pump.
The ones I have used. I swipe my Visa 5% CC and then it ask for my Good Sam 8¢ discount card to be swiped.

Then getting a receipt from the pump is a hit & miss.
Even had some shut pump off when I hit $75-$100(some never shut off until full) then had to go inside to get receipt. Then back out to swipe same cards again.
If not full after 2nd swipe go back inside and get receipt. If you want more you need to change to a different CC.

Then some never shut off until full and a receipt is printed at the pump.

With both of my cards discounts. $3.15 a gal will end up being $2.92 a gal for me.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Archived