Is moving axle 10" worth the effort

Lance A Lott

I am getting ready to put the rear axle back under my 630. I ran it as a test on the devider last summer and it worked fine. Really tunes sharp and handled fine. With my hitch position I liked the wheight shift of the front end. My needs will either let me keep it short or move it back 10". So the question is is it worth the extra work ?. It will go from 182" wb to 192".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the benefit?  Looks?  Will it allow for boxes or some special feature?  I've been pondering a similar question, but I will probably end up singling short.  Pretty much bolt in, it will match the lower fairings, and the driveshaft won't need to be lengthened.  Adding 10" to my wheelbase would probably look better, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

It is a LOT of work to re position the suspension,  you will need a driveshaft, probably new air lines etc.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I prefer my short wheelbase truck to keep my overall length down.  I say keep it short.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We have decided our HDT will be singled mid.  Now I'm not doing the work, so it's probably easy for me to say it's worth it. :D  Or, should I say it's worth it to me.

I know you are only talking 10", and I don't know if this will help, but here are some of the reasons we're going mid.

- Smoother ride with a longer wheelbase

- We can, or not, carry a car, motorcycle, storage garage...

- Looks better, more balanced IMHO

- Not the main concern, but it won't hurt resale either

I'm also not going to use it as a daily driver.  If I was, maybe I would seriously consider singling short.

Roger and my wonderful wife Margaret
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Luxe 39fb 5th Wheel
Pioneer Camping Club
Wagon Masters

Its going to be easier and cheaper to lengthen the frame than move the axle. Either way you need a new drive shaft. To lengthen the frame its just some cutting and welding. Double it up where you cut it. To move the axle there are lots of bolts to take out. Then you have drill that many holes to put it back on. You will save a ton of money on labor. Been through that with one of our farm trucks.

If you already have the axle out you just as well put it where ever you want it.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

All valid points. The only reason to consider moving the axle back is to cut down on the vertical movement of the hitch. I am pulling a horse trailer and they don't have the ground clearance of the average 5ver. I don't think it will be enough to make it worth the effort but if someone has experience that would say otherwise now is the time to think about it. I actually have room to put a spider on the deck or maybe a smart with my trailer but not a 5ver.  

Like was said the drive shaft will need to be replace regardless. Two bad there's not a way to permanently lock the devider then it could just stay there.

I pulled the rear axle last summer so I could experiment with length, wheight, and ride. If it took an hour total I would be surprised. Huck bolts are easy to remove almost faster than regular bolts. Unless you get one that's hard to get at with the angle grinder. You just cut 1/4 to1/3 of the way through with a 4" angle grinder, just behind the flange, the flange it's self has no threads, and then it hit the tip of the bolt with a good hammer it will snap right of as they are purity hard.

11 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Are you considering leaving the “front” axle on as the permanent fix?  Isn’t that the “ divider” axle? I was under the impression the “divider” axle had some limitations preventing it from being used as a “ normal”  everyday drive axle.

X2, my understanding was to lose the front and move the rear fwd.  Agreed with singling mid.  Provides extra room for storage boxes.  Singling long adds to the front axle weight loading.  Doesn't look right IMO.

Short looks fine on a 630. Looks odd on the large sleeper units. It all depends on your needs. I would love a singled short 630. But would have to use it as daily commute since it can't carry Smartcar. That's why I have mine mid.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, DesertMiner said:

Are you considering leaving the “front” axle on as the permanent fix?  Isn’t that the “ divider” axle? I was under the impression the “divider” axle had some limitations preventing it from being used as a “ normal”  everyday drive axle.

Go back and read the first sentence in the original post.  I see as he's intending to swap it out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Nope.....says he "ran" it on the "divider". He also mentioned "reinstalling" the rear axle. No mention of "swapping" the rear axle to the front or "shortened" position.  I assume he will be doing this but you know what happens when you assume!  Just trying to see what he really plans to do.

Sorry if my typing and my thoughts are not always the same. My intentions are too move the rear axle forward to replace the original front drive axle. I have shortened the frame and installed a gooseneck ball at my desired position. The only other placement for the axle that I have considered is 10" back from the original front axle placement. As this would make more work I was asking if there was a huge reason too move it. 

I did remove the rear axle and test drove the truck and trailer with the devider axle. I had no issues with that setup. I may not have mentioned that my 630 is a vnm so it  is shorter than a vnl already and looks fine singled short.

I had a couple of reasons for test driving with just the devider axle. First I just had to hitch on and pull my trailer. And second I don't know anyone with a hdt so other than over the net info I was shooting blind. I used everything I was able too learn from the vast knowledge you are able to impart and made a choice. So far so good.

rickeieio, be assured my last post was only to make my question clear. I value the responses very much and if I am not clear in my post I will not get the answers I need. Many of you have been were I am now and and I hope to learn from all of you.

On a side note how do you get your information to appear at the bottom of your posts? My computer wont let me post pictures with the link Jack posted it thinks its a virus.  I see you are a semi-retired farmer I bought part of my grandfathers last farm back and some of the one I worked on all through high school 33 years ago.  My wife and I are now have 13 horses. I got my first Bultoco for Christmas when I was 8.  My father and mother started a Bultaco dealership in 1969 the year I was 6.  We still have 4 Bultacos and a Spyder as well as two many 4 wheelers to keep running. Do you load your Spyder on your truck?

25 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

On a side note how do you get your information to appear at the bottom of your posts? My computer wont let me post pictures with the link Jack posted it thinks its a virus.  

To add a Signature, click on your name in the upper right corner of the Escapees page.  Select Account Settings from the menu that appears.  On the left hand side of the screen, you will see several choices for the settings you can update.  The last one is Signature.  Select that to create/edit your personal signature.

You should also be able to tell your computer that the picture posting page is not a spam/virus page.  The way to do this will be dependent on the browser/operating system you are using.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Wow Lance,

My first almost full size bike was a Bultaco Sherpa 100, I have had Sherpa S and T's and a Pursang 

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

25 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Wow Lance,

My first almost full size bike was a Bultaco Sherpa 100, I have had Sherpa S and T's and a Pursang 

Steve

I still have my Pursang TT 200 I bought new. Used to flat track and trail ride it. One of the things I was smart enough to hang on too.

My first bike was a Lobeto100 my father turned it into a trials bike for me. I still have it. Dad had a Sherpa 250 I woud have to ask if it wss S moddle that he sold when he got a Sherpa T 350. He has slways wished he had kept the 250. We still have the Sherpa T as well as a Matralia I propably spelled thst wrong. We sold a Persang thay, were quite a machine, as i was only 10 or 11 i was not aloud to ride it!

Hmmm, this thread has been hijacked by the OP.:P

My first bike:

6kQ4eSnl.jpg

Well, that's not really the same bike, but it's just like the one I got when I was 14.  And yes, it's in the entry way of our house.

No, we carry the Spyder in the garage of the toyhauler, along with whatever bike I'm taking. (Spyder is the wife's.)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Not sure I hijacked it after all moving the axle might be related to what I will be able to put on the deck! Those old Spanish bikes take up a lot of room. If I ever get my computer to post pictures I will put one of the spider on the fifth wheel of my Volvo from when I drove it back to Vt from Texas. My dad had it crammed in front of his trailer and I was headed home empty so some 2x10's and a sheet of plywood and I was off. Wife says I have always been off

Howdy All,

Well seeing as this thread is in high jack mode, I had and ran til I broke something I couldn't replace a Bultaco Sherpa T, an Alpina, a 360 Fontara and the one that darn near killed me way to  times a 370 Pursang.

Fantastic bikes every one, I got into them way late in 1988 when no one was dealing them anymore and parts were scarce so when they broke that was it.  I put an ad in a local paper priced them at what I stupidly thought was a high price 500 dollars for the whole lot, each of them with a major broken part and of course sold them to the first guy that called.  I swear that ad couldn't have been printed for more then a couple of hours when the phone rang, I sold them to the first guy who called as I thought I would be lucky to get rid of them at all, it was when the darn phone kept ringing for the next month that I figured out that I had sold thousands of dollars worth of bikes for next to nothing.

Oh well if'in I were smart I'd be rich or so they say.............................

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

All this talk makes me won't to go riding, but we got 8" of snow today. My dad and middle son got the Sherpa T out this summer but never got it started he's going in for knee replacement next month I think it will make him a good project for May. While I am building my trucks bed what ever length I end up with. 

Thank you all for making me walk down memory lane!

Archived