Domicile Question

EverywhereMan

24 minutes ago, RV Vagabond Jerry said:

Just transferred my driver license to Texas and 2 weeks later found out that because my motorhome weighs over 26,000 pounds, I have to take the same written and driving tests that CDL truckers have to take. A guy at a rally told me that he got a $275 ticket for having a Class C license rather than a Class B. So now I have to take the 2 CDL tests - what a bummer. No one recommending Texas as a domain state ever mentioned that.

It's a NON CDL class A license.  It is NOT in any way commercial.  It's 10 questions, a vision and driving test of your vehicle.  If you're not comfortable doing that, then you probably don't need to be driving.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

What Jim said is correct. Also the term exempt class A is used on the application form.

Test is not difficult. Read page 3 of the Texas Drivers Manual 2017  - What you will need is a regular Class B License NOT a Class B CDL

And you might want to read through this thread which helps you understand the most recent testing procedures.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

9 hours ago, RV Vagabond Jerry said:

Just transferred my driver license to Texas and 2 weeks later found out that because my motorhome weighs over 26,000 pounds, I have to take the same written and driving tests that CDL truckers have to take. A guy at a rally told me that he got a $275 ticket for having a Class C license rather than a Class B. So now I have to take the 2 CDL tests - what a bummer. No one recommending Texas as a domain state ever mentioned that.

No one ever mentioned that?  It's a big part of the discussion on this forum, probably dozens of threads about it.  What State did you transfer from?  There's a good chance that your old State had a similar requirement.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

11 hours ago, RV Vagabond Jerry said:

Jerry, I think you will find that if you want to know ANYTHING about Texas, in terms of RVing, THIS is the place to be.  I'm sorry you didn't find out about this forum some time ago, you could have had all your questions answered and your worries set aside.   Lots of us have our exempt A or B licenses.  Just takes a little bit of reading for the written part and the driving, well as someone said, if you can't pass the driving test, you shouldn't be driving a big rig.   

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

23 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Jerry, I think you will find that if you want to know ANYTHING about Texas, in terms of RVing, THIS is the place to be.  I'm sorry you didn't find out about this forum some time ago, you could have had all your questions answered and your worries set aside.   Lots of us have our exempt A or B licenses.  Just takes a little bit of reading for the written part and the driving, well as someone said, if you can't pass the driving test, you shouldn't be driving a big rig.   

Barb

The Class A or B is not a CDL and is not that hard to pass.  A written test over a bit of the CDL book...mostly length, weight and lighting restrictions on the larger rigs and where to place cones when on the shoulder.  The driving portion is not bad and very frankly, if you cannot pass the exam, you need to park the rig.  Not being harsh, just realistic.

We run across a lot of Texas RVers that are ignorant of the license requirements.  The RV and truck dealers are not going to tell you and risk a sale.  If you get stopped or in an accident, most of the local LEOs do not even know of the requirement for the license based on weight.  But a state trooper will most likely know and you will receive a citation for the wrong class of license.

The biggest hassle is taking the test and getting scheduled for a driving test.  The best place to do this is at the DPS office in Livingston.  The understand the RV requirements.

So, welcome to Texas and learn the Texas life style.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

One thing that I particularly enjoy about being domiciled in a small town in SD is the ease with which "official" things can be taken care of.  Last year, for example, we purchased a car in TX and told the dealership that we wanted it registered in SD.  I offered to take the registration package from them and have Terri at MyDakotaAddress walk it down the block to the Lake County Office where such things are taken care of in SD.  "No need to do that" I was told by the dealership's rather arrogant Business Director.

60 days later I returned to the dealership to obtain a second set of temporary tags since the first set were expiring.  A week or so later, Terri emailed to inform me that the registration package was deficient by ~$100. I gave her my credit card information and the plates were shipped the next day.  They were sent to the dealership (because it had initiated the process) but when I went to pick them up a few days later I was sheepishly handed a check reimbursing me for the $100 I had had to pay.  I didn't gloat too much but I did remind the business staff that I had volunteered to handle the process.B)

In 2016 we traveled to SD to renew our licenses and decided it would be fun to go to Madison for the renewal even though we could have done it anywhere in the state.  It turns out that DPS license bureau sets up in Madison every Tuesday morning in the basement of the DPS building.  Everyone sits around in one big room chatting with each other until their name is called.  Didn't take more than ~an hour or so and we met some nice folks in the process.  The best of small-town Americana.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

It seems that whenever someone mentions selecting any state as their domicile, some forum contributors will join in and give reasons why you should abandon that state and domicile in the state that we chose. Many people make the selection based mostly on cost and convenience and seldom compare the possible legal ramifications.  In my opinion, the best choice of domicile is a personal thing and should be chosen based on personal factors beyond what we typically share with the public. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

Regarding (car) insurance rates for comparative purposes; SD is $260 below national average & TX is $188 above national average... (annual rate fees of course). 

As a specific example, we have two vehicles insured by Progressive.  One is a 2014 CR-V (our toad) which is insured with SD rates and the other is a 2015 Hyundai Elantra which is garaged on our property in Rockport TX.  The Elantra is newer but less expensive than the CR-V. We have excellent driving records (no tickets, no accidents) and the TX vehicle's insurance is twice the SD rate.  Works out to $400-500 per year difference.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

When discussing insurance rates one must consider the city and county you are insuring in. The registration rate may be the same for the entire state but insurance rates will be different all over the state depending on your location in the state. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

14 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

What's funny is the way this enterprise mimics the game at a carnival where the players squirt water into a hole that makes the little cars, labeled SD and TX in this case, race to the top of the riser with this one leading then that one leading. It's a close race, and the winner is... 

Twotoes is correct so be sure that you know what county is being quoted. If you are not yet on Medicare, be sure to also look closely at health insurance availability as well as cost. And when you do so, don't ignore FL as one of the possible choices. Even for those of us who are on Medicare the issue matters as the majority of us carry some type of Medicare supplemental coverage and prescription coverage (Medicare part D). And you may need to consider things like estate law if you have significant assets. I always get concerned when too many folks push the choice that they made as good for everyone since it is a rare thing to find an issue that has only one answer that is best for all. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When we "moved" from our then residence to our mail service address in the same county, but a different zip code, our vehicle insurance went down about $150 across three vehicles.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

Even for those of us who are on Medicare the issue matters as the majority of us carry some type of Medicare supplemental coverage and prescription coverage (Medicare part D). 

The benefits from Medicare Supplemental (not Medicare Advantage) plans are the same no matter where you buy them.  Part D plans differ in co-pays and premiums but the maximum dollar amount you can pay on drugs is determined by Medicare itself.  Plans are available in all states.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Our Domicile is Ohio. Where we are registered to vote, where we license our vehicles  and were our drivers license  is issued.Were we  have our primary residence and where we pay property taxes.Where we reside according to Ohio law for more than 183 days.That  does not mean we are actually in Ohio but the S&B is functional the power is on the S&B is furnished our mail is being  delivered there .We can be found there.

One can have a residence anywhere we have had residence in 3  states but our domicile remains Ohio.We have a residence in Florida we pay property taxes . We pay utilities. Our vehicles are registered and plated in Ohio, Our  voting place is in Ohio.We pay Ohio State tax and property tax. Our primary mailing address is Ohio.We forward our mail to Florida each winter.

If in doubt about domicile check with the State in Question.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived