Renting to try out

askwines

Good afternoon,

We have been talking seriously about RVing and have been doing some research on here and anyplace I can get my hands on.

Looks like the best advice is to rent an RV first to test the waters. We have narrowed it down to a 5th wheel so we can disconnect and go exploring.

Issue I'm having is, I can't rent a 5th wheel as we do not have a truck yet.

What do you recommend to rent in it's place that will give us a similar experience, knowing we won't be able to experience the hitching/leveling portion.

We have a ton more questions, but will try and do them separately as they arise.

Thanks for all your advice in advance.

Alan 

Agree with the cruiseamerica or el monte option, unless you can find a package (truck/5er) deal to rent on one of the RV sharing sites.  If you rent a class c realize that it iwll be pretty inconvenient without another vehicle so will have to have a little imagination to picture how you would like it if you had the freedom of a truck/TOAD.

We rented a Class C from a local dealer for a three-week trip. It taught us RV basics like how to cook in limited space, the necessity of keeping water in your tanks, the process of dumping, etc. We also learned what we liked and didn't like about having a mobile house. And what few clothes we actually wore. All of those things translate well to whatever rig you eventually buy. So, yes, rent a Class C and go learn whether or not you'd even like this lifestyle.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

For renting a 5th wheel, check out RV Share.  These are privately owned RV's and there are some 5th wheels for rent.  Some of them may take the 5th wheel to a camping spot and set it up for you while you assist.  Or they may rent the truck and trailer together. 

I would suggest having them take the 5th wheel and set it up while you assist, or have them let you do the work, but they supervise.

Hitching and unhitching a 5th wheel has couple of very significant "gotchas" which can cause $$ damage which the renter would be responsible for.   Not that the setup is that difficult, just a couple of things easy to mess up.

#1 Not getting the hitch connected just right and it drops off the hitch as you drive

#2  When turning or backing up, the trailer hitting the cab of the truck.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, askwines said:

Good afternoon,

We have been talking seriously about RVing and have been doing some research on here and anyplace I can get my hands on.

Looks like the best advice is to rent an RV first to test the waters. We have narrowed it down to a 5th wheel so we can disconnect and go exploring.

Issue I'm having is, I can't rent a 5th wheel as we do not have a truck yet.

What do you recommend to rent in it's place that will give us a similar experience, knowing we won't be able to experience the hitching/leveling portion.

We have a ton more questions, but will try and do them separately as they arise.

Thanks for all your advice in advance.

Alan 

With either a Class A or C you can tow a smaller vehicle for exploration.   With the 5th wheel you may be towing with a truck with dual rear wheels.  If you like to explore back roads, a smaller 4x4 vehicle towed behind the motorhome may suit you better.  This is not a hard and fast rule.  Many people explore back roads in large pickups.  Just a lot of variables to consider.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I am not familiar with places that rent 5th wheels other than as indicated above.  They will deliver to the site you choose, for the period of time you pay for and then remove it when you time is up.

Class A & Cs, yes, many places rent those.  Some placs even rent pull trailers, but 5th wheels.  Not to my knowledge.

Marcel

5th wheel rv rentals:

http://www.familyrv.com/category.cfm?catnum=3082

http://www.goingplacesrv.com/rv-rental-fleet

http://zieglersrv.com/rv-rentals/fifth-wheel-trailers/

https://www.elmonterv.com/rent/rv-details/regal-5th-wheel/

I could go on, but you get the theme. Those were from a simple internet search.

Some companies deliver and set-up for temporary housing. Then there are truck rentals equipped for towing a 5er.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, askwines said:

Good point! It's based on looking at the differerent models, floor plans, need for a vehicle and not wanting to tow one. 

Next step, try it out

So you want a big dully as your daily driver?   We too had looked at 5ers but after driving truck I was unsure how I wanted that for a daily driver.  Then we tried a Class C and knew that we would be MUCH happier with a small car pulled behind whatever size MH we decided on.   On downpour in Mobile where we could spend about 40 minutes waiting for it to pass in comfort, using the bathroom, fixing a snack, getting something to drink without ever going outside sealed it for us.  Plus our cats never, ever had to be moved.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

When it gets to which type is better, it's a no win argument. We tried A's and C's and hated the living areas that were so un-home like. Looked at fivers and loved them. But I don't know where you can try one out. When talking about a downpour, it is only a few steps and you are in the fiver, waiting out the storm. In years of rving we only had two or three times that was even an issue. Our trailer has a similar floor plan to most fivers so don't know if you can find one of those to rent. I don't think renting an A or C is going to give you a similar experience but it will certainly let you see what you think of RVing. Cooking, water usage, storage will all be similar. Depending on the size fiver you are looking for you may not need a dually. We didn't and the truck was/is just fine as a daily driver.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

For the size 5er that would have been equivalent to our DP, we would have needed, at minimum, an F350 or F450.  I scrimped and save for a lot of years to be COMFORTABLE as we full timed.  Our little Subaru has taken us to all kinds of places to geocache getting around 30 mpg.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Sounds like you have your mind set on a fifth wheel which is the route we took and this has worked great for us. Someday we will change to something else, maybe a class A but we are not ready yet. As far as a pickup, don't be scared into believing you need a dually or some monster truck. We have met other full timers in 40' fifth wheels and they do just find in 1 ton SWR. It's all in what you are comfortable with driving and how you drive, not what you drive. Also, don't forget options like mopeds or even a motorcycle for local touring. Rental cars are also readily available most anywhere in the US and can be less expensive than owning a toad, depending on frequency.

Greg

Welcome to the Escapee forum!

10 hours ago, askwines said:

It's based on looking at the differerent models, floor plans, need for a vehicle and not wanting to tow one. 

If you have done a great deal of research then you do need to settle somewhere, but in my mind, it is a bit early to settle on one type before you have even spent a night in one. Each of us has solid reasons for the type of RV we prefer and each one is right. In other words, there are good and bad points for each type and it is mostly personal preferences that determine what is best. I would take a lot of time before I made the financial commitment to buy a specific one. I have owned several types of RV over the past 35 years and each one had good points and served us well at the time. Part of the choice is in how you plan to use the RV and another factor is where you plan to take it. 

Class C is the most available type of RV for rental and any type will allow you to experience the life in one as well as using the appliances and plumbing, which is pretty much the same in every type. If you can find a fifth wheel and truck to rent, that may be best, especially if you have no experience in driving and parking one. Motorized RVs are the least difficult to park, driving one just depends on the person driving which is least difficult to learn. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To the OP:  So there you have it.  The best RV is........the one you are happiest with and suits your life style best.  For some that is the 5th wheel, others it is the Class A or C. 

I would suggest that you go, in this forum, to the Beginning RVin'g and the General RV Information sections and browse back through the older posts, looking for topics which reference something like "which is best 5th wheel or MH".   There have been quite a few topics which discuss this issue. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Unless you plan on just staying in campgrounds you will tow something. Either a truck will tow a trailer or a MH will tow a towed. You will have to evaluate your own needs and wants to determine which type of RV is best for you.

That said, if you have little or no experience with an RV, renting one may be a reasonable option. Another possibility would be to buy a used rig and plan on selling it in a year or so. That works if your current vehicle can either tow something or can be towed by a MH. Check your current vehicle at http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Remco can give you an idea as to whether or not a vehicle can be safely towed. Your owner's manual can also tell you, but sometimes going to the website is quicker.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

When I decided to move from a house to an RV full time I went through the same sort of process to figure out what would work for living in full time.  I had a nearly new 1/2 ton pickup (that I really liked and wanted to keep), and went looking for a pull-behind trailer that would work with it.  I really hate laundromats and just couldn't stand the thought of going to them for the rest of my life or the expense of having all my laundry done by cleaners.  I simply couldn't find a pull-behind travel trailer that had a washer/dryer or was prepped for one and had a floor plan that would work for me.

I expanded my search to include class A, B and C motor homes and 5th wheelers.  The motor home route would require me to get a vehicle to tow behind as I simply couldn't use the MH for a daily driver, that was nearly a deal killer.  Both the expense of 2 vehicles to insure and maintain as well as the idea that every time the MH had to have service, I would generally have to check into a motel for however long the service would take - in some cases there were stories of that taking days, weeks, in some cases - months.  Ugh!

That led me to 5th wheels.  I simply couldn't find one that would work for full timing for the rest of my life that would work with my 1/2 ton.  I found units that would work for me as a home and would also be fine with a 3/4 ton SRW pickup.  I soon found that the deprecation on them was terrible.  But I could buy a gently used trailer that was 10 years old for 25% of the cost of a new one.  I found one that was not only really well maintained, but had been upgraded by the single owner with lots of improvements, all of which were perfect for the use I intended.  Additionally, it was one of the best manufacturers and not only the top of their line, but also the smallest size they made in that model.  Absolutely perfect for me.  The only downside was I would have to trade the 1/2 ton pickup for a 3/4 ton.  Of all the possibilities I considered, this seemed to be the best fit.  I offered them 1/2 of their asking price and they jumped on it.

It has been WONDERFUL!  I miss my 1/2 ton, (I really liked it better than this 3/4 ton), but the new one is okay.  I suspect that with careful management about trailer loading (water tanks, etc.), and I had added air bags to the 1/2 ton, it would really have done the job.  I'm sure there will be a lot of flack about pulling a 15,000 # trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup and no doubt the 3/4 ton is really a better match.  It handles the trailer beautifully.  The trailer has been a delightful home for 3 years and I plan to keep it as long as I last.  Probably will have to take it back to the manufacturer every few years for a visit to have stuff maintained, but even that will be a tiny fraction of maintaining that 6 bedroom monster I got out from under.

I did move the trailer next to the house and lived in it for a month while the house sale closed, practicing and adjusting the what will I take and what will I leave list.  That was a very worthwhile experience.

There were lots of cow pies along the way, but I seem to lead a charmed life and avoided them all.  No problems with any of this transition.  I've been doing the full time RV thing for 3 years now.  Have never been happier - life is good!

Listen to all the good advice on here and filter it well, apply what works for you and I'm sure you will do well.

F-250 SCREW 4X4 Gas, 5th NuWa Premier 35FKTG, Full Time, Engineer Ret.

Instead of renting one just haunt the RV Dealers and Shows and insist on being left alone in one as long as you want. Take a notenbook and a camera then act out the things you will do on a daily basis. Watching TV, cooking, washing dishes, taking a shower, laying on the bed, getting in and out of the rig.

Make notes of what you like and what you don't then take photo's of the inside and outside of each rig. Look at LOTS of different models and build up a portfolio so you can refer back to it when you see something new.

After a while you'll narrow down a few "Key" features you want and you'll be able to eliminate a bunch of rigs simply by your list of likes and dislikes. That'll save a lot of time.

The list is there to remind you of what you've seen and avoid seeing the same type over and over. There are so many on the market you soon forget what has what. Sure rent a class A, there are companies ho will set one up for you on a campsite so you just roll up and camp. It isn't cheap but compared to buying a rig you don't like after a month or so and selling it, it WILL be cheap!

RV Boot Camp is a great resource especially if you haven't bought  an RV yet. We did it before we bought our class A and it opened ur eyes. The big thing we learned was that the average RV'er buys 3 RV's before they get the one they actually want. Unless you're a very skilled negotiator the buying and selling of 3 RV's is going to be EXPENSIVE! 

Figure out what you want BEFORE you buy. Here's how we did it.

http://banbrv.blogspot.com/2014/11/you-can-get-there-from-here.html

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Thanks to all for your advice and opinions. It's definitely going to be a process to figure it all out. We now have the fall/winter to continue our research, read the boards,  visit dealers and shows in our area. 

Looking forward to testing the waters in the spring. Seems a few test weekends is a good way to feel things out. Boot camp looks like a good idea.

I'm sure I'll continue asking for your advice as questions arise.

Happy trails.

Legendsk, where did you get the idea that all of us with MHs spend nights in motels when we have them serviced/repaired?   We've always slept in our coach at night at the service facility which usually had at least 30 amps for us to plug into, sometimes also had water.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5th wheels are o.k.. We full-timed in a 33' for 8 years.  However, we absolutely hated from day 1 having to drive the truck all the time and it wasn't  even a dually.  We love to explore quiet gravel back roads in the boonies and seek out animals.  We found the truck too big and noisy for what we wanted to do. It scared our sought out critters away.

Friends got us interested in geocaching and took us out in their 4x4 Jeep.  Others took us on true 4x4 rides on narrow trails and over huge boulders, most often where a big truck would not fit.  We got hooked and it was time to get a different RV anyway.  We settled on a 40' motorhome towing a Jeep Liberty. We full-timed in it for another 8 years and had more fun and met good friends during our 4x4 exploring.  It was so quiet on gravel roads that we could easily sneak up on wildlife and sit there to observe them.  For in-town siteseeing it was more economical to drive and easier to maneuver in traffic.

Looking back we would never get a 5th wheel again after seeing how much enjoyment the small car gave us. Towing a car is not a big deal, especially if you tow 4-down and not use a dolly. You don't even know it's back there. 

As far as a motorhome not feeling 'homey' - the two front seats swing around to face the living area. The huge picture window out front gave us gorgeous vistas of rivers, lakes, mountains especially when boondocking with no one else around us.  Even in campgrounds we could sometimes pull into the site forward and have a view with no one behind us. Although we didn't do it, some folks put the steering wheel in a flat position and add a round board and then a tablecloth. There they display a piece of artwork, a pot of flowers, family photos or the Christmas tree. With that addition and the seats turned around you see very little of the dash area because the picture window draws your attention.

As to the statement of spending time in a motel during servicing - we never had to do that.  The facilities usually have at least electric for stays.  Also, if you had a 5th wheel and your truck needed servicing/repairs then you're stuck without a vehicle.  In addition, 5th wheels need repairs, too.  When having servicing we took the car and did some exploring in the area we were. We completed some needed chores, shopping, went to movies, etc.  Late afternoon we'd return and if the servicing was completed we either took off or were able to spend another night before leaving in the morning. Never an issue.

We both drove our RVs and the motorhome was much more pleasant to do so.  Same goes for parking and getting settled.

I suggest that you think out what kind of RVing you plan to do. Don't settle on one particular kind until you can test them out. Even then, you will only give all the 'systems' a testing which is the same on any type of RV.  You can test the difference between a Class A and Class C by renting each.  To us, a Class C is claustrophobic.  We love that big window in the Class A.  It would be helpful if you knew someone with a 5th wheel and perhaps they'd set it up in a nearby park for you to try out for a couple days or even let you stay in it on their property.

Over the years we've stayed in everything from tents, pop-up, trailers, 5th wheels, Class C's and finally our motorhome which was the best.  I just wanted to give you our experiences so you have something to ponder.  Good luck in whatever you choose.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 minute ago, freestoneangler said:

Ran across this site while doing some RV lot rental research.

http://www.ownersrental.com/arizona-rv-rentals/

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I noticed your username, how's RVing and fly fishing?

It's one of the draws for me to start this up.

Any tips would be great. Would love to be able to pull up to a nice stream and stay for a bit.

Archived