Turn signals not working on Volvo

Jim Gell

I can hear my flasher clicking under the dash, just like normal, with turn signal on. Nothing is happening in Jackalopee or the turn signal lamps. Any suggestions?

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Head lights work, hazards do not.

2016 smart car

I am bobtail. A while back I put in a heavier duty flasher because it would burn out with hazards on when hooked up with trailer. Could it be it does not have enough load?

2016 smart car

Without doing anything to fix them, they are now working intermittently. I turn them on and they may work for a half dozen flashes, then stop and miss a half dozen, then start working again for a couple flashes, them quit again. I can't hook up to trailer until later today to see if that makes any difference, but my uneducated guess is that it would not. I figure it can't be a fuse, or they would just not work. Night before and all day yesterday it rained and was very damp. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I think I will put in a new flasher and see if that fixes it.

2016 smart car

There are two types of flashers: Thermal requires a large enough load to cause a bi-metal strip to heat and bend. When these don't have enough load, they usually will light the lights but not flash them.

The Electronic Flasher does not care about load. Both have the same pin configuration. The electronic one is more expensive. Both on the wall at NAPA.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Does the light on the jackalope flash?

When the signals were not working at all this morning, the flasher was clicking but Jackalope was not blinking.

Now, with the signal working intermittently, I have not looked to see if the Jackalope is blinking when the signal is working. I just assumed it was.

Another observation, for what it is worth....the dash indicators light up when they work and do not when they don't. Also there is a second sound source coming from the instrument cluster that is timed to beep with those dash indicators in addition to the clicking of the flasher in the center of the dash. Again the beeping only sounds when the signals are working.

There are two types of flashers: Thermal requires a large enough load to cause a bi-metal strip to heat and bend. When these don't have enough load, they usually will light the lights but not flash them.

The Electronic Flasher does not care about load. Both have the same pin configuration. The electronic one is more expensive. Both on the wall at NAPA.

The flasher says "Electronic Flasher" on it.

Would an electronic flasher exhibit intermittent failure? That seems unlikely to me, but what do I know?

I thought maybe there was a poor switch contact in the steering column, so I tried wiggling the turn signal stalk into different positions and that did not seem help directly. However, it did seem that I could get the signal working again, at least sometimes, by turning off the signal and turning it back on. It may have been coincidence because it only worked maybe every 3-4 tries.

Could a bad switch in steering column cause this intermittent problem?

Like I said earlier, we had rain and high humidity yesterday. What might succumb to that?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

2016 smart car

A thought is that yes, the turn signal stalk can go bad. On E-bay if you google Volvo Semi truck parts, you'll find them up for auction. To me that seems to say that they do go bad, and the Volvo dealer wants too much for a new one.

I have no idea how to diagnosis it though.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Time for a new truck.......... ;)

Heck on a Freightshaker ALL the lights flash most of the time......except when they just don't light up at all'

Try shaking the V-machine.......

Drive on.............(Lights are the spice of owning a HDT..........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Actually there is a third type of flasher, and it is somewhat rare, and that is the "motorized-flasher".

The motorized flasher is a ultra-duty flasher that utilizes a small motor inside the flasher that opens and closes the flasher contacts with precision timing regardless of the light circuit(s) load(s).

The motorized flasher is often found on emergency vehicles that have HUGE flasher loads.

These flashers are not cheap but they are reliable and can handle big or small loads.......

Drive on...........(Flash with care..........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Jim,

From the symptoms and descriptions, and reviewing the schematic, here's some thoughts:

• Since all the lights are affected on both the hazards and turn signals, the problem is at or upstream of the hazard switch - the signal stalk is ok
  • Upstream of the hazard switch (toward the battery and fuse) includes just a few points to check:
    • hazard switch and associated connector
    • the flasher and associated socket/connector
    • the 40 amp fuse

First thing I'd do is check these connections to make sure everything is seating properly and terminations are solid

Second thing would be to pull the flasher and jumper between the incoming fuse and outgoing load and verify lights come on when you operate the signals . . . but they won't flash, of course

If all the lights work with the jumper, it's the flasher.

good luck . . . . Jim

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Thanks, JIm!

2016 smart car

Okay. I admit I ain't an electrical genius, but I know on many vehicles, the flasher works by interrupting the ground. Always check your grounds first.............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hi Jim,

I hope you can get your problem resolved. Thank you again for last night. I enjoyed the meal.

I hope to see you down the road again.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Jim,

From the symptoms and descriptions, and reviewing the schematic, here's some thoughts:

• Since all the lights are affected on both the hazards and turn signals, the problem is at or upstream of the hazard switch - the signal stalk is ok
  • Upstream of the hazard switch (toward the battery and fuse) includes just a few points to check:
    • hazard switch and associated connector
    • the flasher and associated socket/connector
    • the 40 amp fuse

First thing I'd do is check these connections to make sure everything is seating properly and terminations are solid

Second thing would be to pull the flasher and jumper between the incoming fuse and outgoing load and verify lights come on when you operate the signals . . . but they won't flash, of course

If all the lights work with the jumper, it's the flasher.

good luck . . . . Jim

Jim ...good points

Intermittent-electrical-faults are very frustrating problems for sure.......Perhaps one of the leading causes of Intermittent-electrical-faults is the lack of reliable grounding.

With DC electrical systems the proper ground is likely more important than the active power source and when a ground is marginal it will exhibit Intermittent current fluctuations.........

Ground circuits typically are the least-maintained circuits in a electrical system but in a DC system poor grounding is likely the leading cause of circuit failure AND often leads to component failure as well because poor grounds tend to increase component cycle-loading beyond the components intended design-loading.....

My +50 year go-to-electrical-geek is a fellow named Huston and he is the best DC mechanic I have ever seen.......Huston says DC electrical trouble shooting is very stressful because by the time they call him in to repair their truck they have likely spent a fortune on replacing various components and still have a failed system...........then when he arrives at the truck and simply cleans and restores a few ground circuits .......the owners often get pretty upset........they expect Huston to get out a Fluke-Scope (yes the real name of the big-dog tool of the trade) AND they expect Huston to sell them a $$$$ of repairs and more components.........

When they see Huston cleans and restores proper ground to a circuit the owner often says.........."heck I could have done that"...........then Huston smiles and says........."yep, you could have"........"maybe next time you will"......

DC can be a bit of a hair-pull at times.........but if you have a good ground you are likely better than half way to repairing any other faults that may exist....

Drive on..........(Stay grounded.....)

Dollytrolley,

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a worthwhile pursuit to track down all the ground connections I can and make sure they are clean and tight. I understand that in theory, but I think I need some specific guidance on where I might find these ground connections on my '01 Volvo. Am I looking behind the dash, on the inside or outside of the firewall, the battery itself, or all of the above? Should I be using the $30 multimeter I bought? If so, would I be testing for some specific number of ohms of resistance?

Jim

2016 smart car

Dollytrolley,

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a worthwhile pursuit to track down all the ground connections I can and make sure they are clean and tight. I understand that in theory, but I think I need some specific guidance on where I might find these ground connections on my '01 Volvo. Am I looking behind the dash, on the inside or outside of the firewall, the battery itself, or all of the above? Should I be using the $30 multimeter I bought? If so, would I be testing for some specific number of ohms of resistance?

Jim

Jim,

Your right in that the "Devil-is-indeed-in-the-details" when it comes to correcting ground problems........

Huston ALMOST never used a ohm meter because he states that a poor ground can Ohm very well with no load and then be a very become poor contact under load.........that's the Hair-Pulling part of chasing grounds........

Huston says it is far better to consider that removing ground points and cleaning them and THEN applying a good grade contact cleaner is just vital electrical maintenance .......he contends that no short-cuts really beat the best practice of regular ground maintenance....

When ever I argue with Huston regarding electrical matters he just smiles ..........and.........I lose the argument......

Ground might be the problem but its not 100% ......but it seems Huston has a lot of success with fixing grounds first......

Drive on...........(Flash as needed......)

2016 smart car

Jim,

I have found some ground wires in my truck when I was working on the inside painting the floor. Look at the rear of the storage compartments on both sides toward the outside. One my truck there is 4 grounds that comes to one point on both sides. For me that was a total of 8 wires. The wires are located under the mat about 4" from the storage compartment door. I hope this helps.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I won't declare victory, but the turn signals seem to be working right now. I think I still need to do some more fixing.

Instead of leaving yesterday, we delayed our trip to Washington DC for my daughter's birthday by two days mainly due to high winds here in northern Ohio and forecasts for along the route today. We plan to leave tomorrow morning.

That gave me some time to get the signals working properly before we left. I studied the wiring schematic Mark Bruss posted in the Resource Guide as best I know how, read the helpful responses above, and went to the truck this morning with every intent to search out and clean grounds and do as thorough a job as I could to fix it right.

Before I did any of that, I tested the signals. Again they were operating intermittent, blinking a few times then pausing, then blinking once, and pausing, etc. I pulled the flasher out of it's socket and the connectors looked dirty with possibly signs of arcing. All I actually did was to clean the terminals and now the signals are working properly. I probably should have continued to check rounds etc. but I didn't. I am hoping it will continue to work for a week until I get parked for a monthly stay in Charleston.

I put off additional troubleshooting and PM because I am working with new stitches in my hand and I already tore half of them out, bandages keep coming loose, and now the wound has partially opened up and looks infected. I taped my thumb to the finger next to it so I wouldn't pull any more stitches out, but this leaves me without an "opposable" thumb to grab anything with. I didn't appreciate how helpless my hand can be when I can't use my thumb.

One thing I assume I will need to do is to remove the board that holds the fuses to get to the underside and tighten the connectors that grab the terminals on the flasher with a pair of needle nose pliers. Does that sound doable?

Thank you all for your help.

Jim

2016 smart car

Archived