• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#381 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

For anyone going to Quartzsite . The fine folks from TvformyRV ( WWW.TVForMyRV.Com ) will be representing us there.. I will get back to you with and location and Booth number when it gets assigned to them.

Edited by Gord, 27 December 2016 - 08:55 PM.

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

#382 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

Got the sales sheet done for our new Truck and Trailer Package . For those with Trailers or 5th wheels. It will make it easy to move the amplifier from your tow vehicle to your RV.As it includes 2 sets of Antennas . Also finally got my power sources I have been waiting 3 years for that are 12 volt and 110 in the same power source. If any of my current customers want one . Just email me where to ship it too and I will get one out to you..New sheet for this package should be posted by my webmaster in the next few days.. Hope everyone had a great and safe holiday. 

Keeping You Connected

#383 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

As I've previously posted in this thread, my "home site" happens to be in an area with exceptionally good Verizon coverage so it's been difficult for me to test the effects of the MaxSignal amplifier.  The unamplified signal is so strong that it has been hard to see the difference with the amp on or off.

Well, that's been the case, but it isn't any longer, now that Gord has furnished me with one of the new mag mount Super Max indoor antennas.  The system is now a beast!

According to the app Signal Check Pro my signal is typically in the -104-109dBm range and my download speeds vary from ~10 - >50Mbps.  With the new antenna at distances of ~10' from it I'm seeing RSRP strength of ~-100-104dBm which may not sound like much of an improvement but at these signal strengths not much amplification is needed.  My SNR (signal to noise) is running 15-19dB.

What's really wild is when I walk the phone over to the immediate vicinity of the antenna (<2').  At that range you can see an enormous spike of 25-30dBm in signal strength with numbers in the -70dBm range.  However, as it is supposed to, if you keep the phone at this close range you can see the system "hunting" and it will eventually restore it to the same -100-105dBm.  As Gord has noted numerous times, the system is designed to use only that degree of amplification necessary for maintaining an excellent connection.  There's no need for the phone to see a -70dBm signal in order for it to perform effectively.

As for measuring download speed, this morning my connection is having an "off day" and I'm seeing speeds of 12-14Mbps using Speedtest.net (through my WiFiRanger GoAC).  With the amp running I think I'm seeing a small but statistically significant speed improvement on the order of 10%.  It's the sort of small variation that is difficult to measure given the normal variability of the cellular system from moment to moment.  Anyway, even as an off day it's well above what's needed to stream HD video!

I hope this helps others who are considering purchase of a Maximum Signal amp--amplification of 25-30dBm is pretty impressive IMHO.  It's my understanding that the Super Max is about to enter production and should be available in time for next camping season.

BTW, the new antenna is rather heavy and I would be reluctant to mount it with Velcro if the coach were moving.  At present it is stuck magnetically to my refrigerator door and what I plan to do is attach a small piece of ferrous metal to a spot on the ceiling where it will be permanently mounted.  I happen to have several decorative wooden strips on the ceiling and it will be easy to put the metal plate on one of them.  It has a very powerful magnet and I'm sure it will be quite secure with it as its attachment mechanism.

Joel (AKA docj)

Edited by docj, 10 January 2017 - 01:50 PM.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador & RVParkReviews admin
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

#384 AquaDawg

AquaDawg

• Validated Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

The Supermaxx outperforms the 13" mag mount. Handily.

Hows does it compare to the Boatant Jack?

#385 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,904 posts
  • SKP#:60376

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Hows does it compare to the Boatant Jack?

Hard to say, since I have not tested them against each other. But using them in the same area with the same devices I'd say the Boatant is better. It is pretty hard to beat that antenna.....it performs to specs, which are very good. But look at the price difference. The Boatant is not cheap.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me.
2015 New Horizons 44.5' Custom 5er

2015 Volvo 780,  D13 455/1750, 237" wb, I-Shift, electric APU
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#386 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Hard to say, since I have not tested them against each other. But using them in the same area with the same devices I'd say the Boatant is better. It is pretty hard to beat that antenna.....it performs to specs, which are very good. But look at the price difference. The Boatant is not cheap.

Could never use Boat Antenna Indoors. These are low profile and can be used indoors or outdoors, with multiple different mounting options . Now to get enough money to do a production run!

Keeping You Connected

#387 AquaDawg

AquaDawg

• Validated Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

Could never use Boat Antenna Indoors. These are low profile and can be used indoors or outdoors, with multiple different mounting options . Now to get enough money to do a production run!

Just to clarify here Gord, are we talking about an antenna to use from the amp to the tower, or from the amp to your phone?

Jack, I hear you about the cost, but if it bears our that the boatant is substantially greater performance I will spring the cost for it.

#388 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,886 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Just to clarify here Gord, are we talking about an antenna to use from the amp to the tower, or from the amp to your phone?

Jack, I hear you about the cost, but if it bears our that the boatant is substantially greater performance I will spring the cost for it.

The SuperMaxx works equally well on either side of the amplifier. I'm thinking of trying a SuperMaxx on both sides when more are available.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#389 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

The SuperMaxx works equally well on either side of the amplifier. I'm thinking of trying a SuperMaxx on both sides when more are available.

If that's true then its powerful magnet and low height would make it a lot more stable on the roof than the present outdoor antenna.

Sandie & Joel

#390 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Because it is low profile it will be able to be used on either side. I am trying to figure out what upgrade fee will be . Probably 20 to 25 dollars per antenna. Like I said will come in at least 3 mounting options , Mag mount , Clamp mount or interior mount we are working on will be plastic base you can attach with screws or Velcro . It all costs money to produce. 

Edited by Gord, 10 January 2017 - 10:44 PM.

Keeping You Connected

#391 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

As the others said, the Supermax can be used on either side of the amp. You just have to make sure you maintain the proper distances or you will go into oscillation.  And Gord is correct, you would not use a Boatant inside. It is pretty big. His antenna is perfect for inside, and really nice outside as well, since it is small and won't get knocked about as much. 

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

#392 Dutch_12078

Dutch_12078

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 2,886 posts
  • SKP#:103135

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

Exactly, Jack! My 13" mag mount has gotten knocked over several times by low branches. I'm really looking forward to parking the lower profile, stronger magnet Supermaxx up there instead.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

#393 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Exactly, Jack! My 13" mag mount has gotten knocked over several times by low branches. I'm really looking forward to parking the lower profile, stronger magnet Supermaxx up there instead.

Right; my mag mount antenna gets knocked over at least once per season

Sandie & Joel

#394 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

User Experience. Consider this somewhat anecdotal.

I'm currently in SE KS out in the "hinterlands". Without assistance there is only 3G data here, and the phone barely works. That is a good phone (Note 5). Lesser phones do not work at all.

I set up the Mobile amp as a "house" amp (I'm staying in a house). The 13" mag mount antenna in a window on the "tower side" (on a pizza plate). The Super maxx is on top of the kitchen refrigerator at the front edge.  That gives me an average of 18 dbi of gain. It takes data speeds from 2 kbps (note the K) on 3G to an average of 3.8 MBPS. That is not screaming, but the tower is deficient to start with, since speeds near it are only around 5-6 MBPS.

Why do I only see so little gain? The way these amps work, after hundreds of tests, is that the gain bounces. It will crank the gain up, and then adjust it down until the connection is solid. Or at least that seems to be the way it works, empirically. The weBoost -M with its provided antennas averages speeds of 1.85 MBPS. So I'd say the the Maxamp  handily outperforms the weBoost in THIS set of circumstances, which I would call "challenging". To be fair, I have seen the weBoost outperform the Max in other circumstances. Mostly when it is closer to the towers. Id say the Max performs best when really challenged.

www.jackdanmayer.com

#395 docj

docj

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:29 AM

The way these amps work, after hundreds of tests, is that the gain bounces. It will crank the gain up, and then adjust it down until the connection is solid. Or at least that seems to be the way it works, empirically. 

Thanks for validating the behavior that I have been seeing for months.  I can instantaneously force the amp to deliver >20dB gain by moving the phone close to it, but, in a matter of seconds, it reduces the gain to what is adequate for keeping a good connection.  Makes it really difficult to isolate what the amp is capable of unless you're in a situation like where you are where there is practically no signal to start with.

Edited by docj, 18 January 2017 - 07:30 AM.

Sandie & Joel

#396 Gord

Gord

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

User Experience. Consider this somewhat anecdotal.

I'm currently in SE KS out in the "hinterlands". Without assistance there is only 3G data here, and the phone barely works. That is a good phone (Note 5). Lesser phones do not work at all.

I set up the Mobile amp as a "house" amp (I'm staying in a house). The 13" mag mount antenna in a window on the "tower side" (on a pizza plate). The Super maxx is on top of the kitchen refrigerator at the front edge.  That gives me an average of 18 dbi of gain. It takes data speeds from 2 kbps (note the K) on 3G to an average of 3.8 MBPS. That is not screaming, but the tower is deficient to start with, since speeds near it are only around 5-6 MBPS.

Why do I only see so little gain? The way these amps work, after hundreds of tests, is that the gain bounces. It will crank the gain up, and then adjust it down until the connection is solid. Or at least that seems to be the way it works, empirically. The weBoost -M with its provided antennas averages speeds of 1.85 MBPS. So I'd say the the Maxamp  handily outperforms the weBoost in THIS set of circumstances, which I would call "challenging". To be fair, I have seen the weBoost outperform the Max in other circumstances. Mostly when it is closer to the towers. Id say the Max performs best when really challenged.

Performing how it is supposed to . This is what the carriers and The FCC want an amplifier to do . If you are close to the tower and signal is adequate they want your amplifier to turn itself down so as to not overpower the tower and adversely effect other users. I really appreciate your post on this Jack . It is really hard to explain to non technical folks . When challenged our amplifier really shows its stuff .

Edited by Gord, 18 January 2017 - 08:12 AM.

Keeping You Connected

#397 AquaDawg

AquaDawg

• Validated Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

So I'd say the the Maxamp  handily outperforms the weBoost in THIS set of circumstances, which I would call "challenging". To be fair, I have seen the weBoost outperform the Max in other circumstances. Mostly when it is closer to the towers. Id say the Max performs best when really challenged.

Thanks for the update Jack. How far from the tower are you, and can we assume it's VZW?

Also, are you finding the outperformance better on voice calls too under those circumstances?

#398 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

I'm over 10 miles from the tower in some challenging terrain. The voice performance on the amp is also much better. No breakups whatsoever on the amp. Off the amp you can get drops and breakups.  The distance I can get from the inside unit and maintain good quality is farther on voice. On data you will see a performance drop if you push the distance too much. But on voice it seems less sensitive to distance, which does make sense. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

#399 Smitty

Smitty

Major Contributor

• Validated Members
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Jack - Be interesting to see how the SuperMax does on receiving side, vs the 13" mag, with the first internal antenna doing inside duty.

Or do you have enough experience after working with these different combo's to not see a benefit in this?

TIA,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,
Smitty
04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

#400 Jack Mayer

Jack Mayer

Major Contributor

• Weekend Moderators
  • 21,904 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:52 AM

Jack - Be interesting to see how the SuperMax does on receiving side, vs the 13" mag, with the first internal antenna doing inside duty.

Or do you have enough experience after working with these different combo's to not see a benefit in this?

TIA,

Smitty

I was trying to maximize interior coverage since I have more than one person using this setup. I'll try the other iterations sometime, but frankly I have little available time at the moment.  I'd like to get the exterior antenna "exterior" and high, as well.  This combination can go into oscillation sometimes, even at the distance between the two. So I'm on the edge, so to speak.....

www.jackdanmayer.com