Permanent RV Roofs

SuiteSuccess

If I recall there are two brands of permanent rv roof coverings- RV Armor and RV Flex Armor.  We’re considering doing one.  Anyone had it done and which would you recommend?  Also any installers on the East Coast you’d recommend?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We had the Flex Armor installed on our Arctic Fox and we'll have it installed on our new RV as well.  It has made a HUUUGE difference in the amount of time I've needed to spend on the roof performing inspections.  As you know, the Texas sun and heat is none too kind to membrane roof types.

I can't speak to the difference in quality between Flex Armor and RV Amor.  I did get a quote from RV Amor and their main selling point seemed to be their ability to come to you.  IMHO, they're doing the work in a less controlled environment which means there could be greater inconsistencies between two different jobs, but that's a guess on my part.

Bottom line...I'm very happy with the product and would recommend.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

32 minutes ago, spindrift said:

they're doing the work in a less controlled environment which means there could be greater inconsistencies between two different jobs,

Keep in mind that most of these products are commercial products that have been adapted to RV usage.  That being said, commercial building roofs are NOT done in a shop or enclosure but on site.  So those products are designed for this installation technique.  Another available option is rvroofingpros.com.  Properly installed, these products will outlast the RV in most cases.

As a former installer, I have some experience on various RV roof products coming from personal experience.  I will offer that the LACK of elasticity in bedliner type coatings is really not the best option for RVs.  Rvroofingpros does add some Kevlar fibers to their product, which provide increased strength and stability and is quite flexible.  They are mobile installed in many areas and Lou is VERY experienced in this product line.  Similar warranties for all but the mobile application offers that it is not necessary to take the rig to a shop and be without it for a few days, a plus for full timers of those in their rigs at the time of needing a roof.

Price and the total cost of the whole project is always a consideration esp when factoring in any relocation costs in addition to the roof itself.

Marcel

I was very much wondering about the ability to flex.  Think that should be a main factor.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

59 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Keep in mind that most of these products are commercial products that have been adapted to RV usage.  That being said, commercial building roofs are NOT done in a shop or enclosure but on site.  So those products are designed for this installation technique.  Another available option is rvroofingpros.com.  Properly installed, these products will outlast the RV in most cases.

As a former installer, I have some experience on various RV roof products coming from personal experience.  I will offer that the LACK of elasticity in bedliner type coatings is really not the best option for RVs.  Rvroofingpros does add some Kevlar fibers to their product, which provide increased strength and stability and is quite flexible.  They are mobile installed in many areas and Lou is VERY experienced in this product line.  Similar warranties for all but the mobile application offers that it is not necessary to take the rig to a shop and be without it for a few days, a plus for full timers of those in their rigs at the time of needing a roof.

Price and the total cost of the whole project is always a consideration esp when factoring in any relocation costs in addition to the roof itself.

So looked at their website.  Couldn’t tell for sure, but it is a spray product also?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

6 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Which product are you asking about?

Rvroofingpros.com

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

So, I gotta wonder, are modern rv roofs poorly made?  Our 2008 has the original roof, nothing ever done to it other than washing, which it will get again this week.  I had it inspected a couple weeks ago, and the rv tech said other than being dirty, it was in very good condition.  Lest you say that perhaps this rig has been under roof for most it's life, we bought it in 2015, and we believe it was never under roof up to that point, and has been under roof perhaps six months since.

So, why the interest in  "forever" roofs?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

14 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

So, I gotta wonder, are modern rv roofs poorly made?  Our 2008 has the original roof, nothing ever done to it other than washing, which it will get again this week.  I had it inspected a couple weeks ago, and the rv tech said other than being dirty, it was in very good condition.  Lest you say that perhaps this rig has been under roof for most it's life, we bought it in 2015, and we believe it was never under roof up to that point, and has been under roof perhaps six months since.

Seamless roofs are the Bomb.  So much less worry regarding any water leakage and the subsequent damage that comes from it.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I think I understand the advantages, but it seems a high price to pay.  I grew up with a copper roof outside both my bedroom windows, so the sound of rain is not undesirable.  And a leak hasn't been high on my worry list either.  Every leak we've had has been a failure of a protruding fixture, no the roof.  

What does a spray-on roof cost?  I've heard some pretty hefty numbers, but haven't actually priced it myself.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

In a word, Yes.

With modern RV also having so many roof penetrations, all of these spots are sources of leaks and the rest of the poor quality materials and workmanship very shortly fall apart.  The sprayed on roof systems permanently seal these penetrations to never need caulk or maintenance.

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Carl flex armor is the way to go if your going to keep the rv and don’t want to worry about sealing it, at a certain age people don’t want to get up there and do it. We’ve had ours almost 3 years and love it. It’s quieter and cooler. Price probably has gone up but ours was about 7500 in 2021. New pvc roof to put on out 2021 NH would be 9000-12000 from calling around to different rv repair places. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

Carl flex armor is the way to go if your going to keep the rv and don’t want to worry about sealing it, at a certain age people don’t want to get up there and do it. We’ve had ours almost 3 years and love it. It’s quieter and cooler. Price probably has gone up but ours was about 7500 in 2021. New pvc roof to put on out 2021 NH would be 9000-12000 from calling around to different rv repair places. 

Yeah.  Getting estimates of $175 per linear foot NOT counting any repairs to wood underneath.  BTW found a flex armor place within 50 miles of us.  We’re still debating our long term RV plans.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

16 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Rvroofingpros.com

Not sprayed on.  This is a generally mobile liquid applied membrane.  We all know Flex Armor is spray applied so done in a shop.  RV Armor uses a solvent based liquid applied roof coating that is put on in 2 coats, and has a STRONG chemical smell and while it is often done with occupied units, the smell is pretty tough.  Rvroofingpros.com is also a liquid applied roof coating BUT is acrylic and so has some smell BUT not nearly as strong and doesnt last as long as RVArmor and with the Kevlar fibers, has some real added strength.

They are all monolithic in application meaning its a single coating that requires no further need to caulk any penetrations unless something needs replacing.  IF in the event a skylight, vent or added solar needs to be replaced, RVArmor and RVroofingpros can accomodate the repairs needed to return the roof to its post application condition, but FlexArmor requires returning to a shop and they also require special FA designed standoffs for solar installation, at least required to maintain their warranty.

So, the summary is that there are choices out there and the choice is based on need and budget.

Marcel

Just now, rpsinc said:

Not sprayed on.  This is a generally mobile liquid applied membrane.  We all know Flex Armor is spray applied so done in a shop.  RV Armor uses a solvent based liquid applied roof coating that is put on in 2 coats, and has a STRONG chemical smell and while it is often done with occupied units, the smell is pretty tough.  Rvroofingpros.com is also a liquid applied roof coating BUT is acrylic and so has some smell BUT not nearly as strong and doesnt last as long as RVArmor and with the Kevlar fibers, has some real added strength.

They are all monolithic in application meaning its a single coating that requires no further need to caulk any penetrations unless something needs replacing.  IF in the event a skylight, vent or added solar needs to be replaced, RVArmor and RVroofingpros can accomodate the repairs needed to return the roof to its post application condition, but FlexArmor requires returning to a shop and they also require special FA designed standoffs for solar installation, at least required to maintain their warranty.

So, the summary is that there are choices out there and the choice is based on need and budget.

I also strongly DO NOT RECOMMEND using any silicone based products on RV roofs.  The repairs in the future will be very difficult to make and because the coating is so slick, it becomes very slippery to walk on and difficult to repair due to the nature of how slick silicone is.  It works well on commercial and residential roofs but not so well on RVs.

Marcel

Thanks f

6 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Thanks.  And good advice on the slick roof.  Fractures or dying just isn’t worth it. 😳

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 5/19/2024 at 10:15 AM, rpsinc said:

That's all well and good but if you need some sub-roof replaced as well, you will be exposed to the elements for a day or so. I'm looking at a roof replacement now too. My roof is still in pretty good shape, but a plugged up AC drain, before I got it, has caused water to get under the roof and I've got a soft spot that has grown continuously. It wasn't big enough to notice when I first bought the trailer. No visible damage inside, but there will be wood that needs replaced. Which leads me more to the FlexArmor coating. I believe they tear the old roof off anyway. The others just mop over what you got from what I've seen, and are not any less expensive to apply. If they are willing to replace wood, they will be a lot more expensive in the long run it seems to me. I'm not positive which way I'll go. I've thought about just selling it at a salvage price and let somebody else worry about it. 

Edited by mike5511

1 hour ago, mike5511 said:

That's all well and good but if you need some sub-roof replaced as well, you will be exposed to the elements for a day or so. I'm looking at a roof replacement now too. My roof is still in pretty good shape, but a plugged up AC drain, before I got it, has caused water to get under the roof and I've got a soft spot that has grown continuously. It wasn't big enough to notice when I first bought the trailer. No visible damage inside, but there will be wood that needs replaced. Which leads me more to the FlexArmor coating. I believe they tear the old roof off anyway. The others just mop over what you got from what I've seen, and are not any less expensive to apply. If they are willing to replace wood, they will be a lot more expensive in the long run it seems to me. I'm not positive which way I'll go. I've thought about just selling it at a salvage price and let somebody else worry about it. 

Not sure about them removing the existing roof as a normal practice.  I have a FA roof on my NH which was done by the previous owner and there is an area of about 10 square feet where the original roof material has delaminated from the underlayment.  Depending on the weather conditions, the area does balloon up at times.  I am not concerned about leaks but am concerned about tearing in some strong winds etc.

Marcel

Carl,

Rolling retreats just quoted me $9,000 for a Fullhouse. That comes to @ $200 per foot.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

4 hours ago, mike5511 said:

They do remove the EDPM or TPO before spraying. 

Rolling Retreats does as a matter of policy.  Who's to say if the other franchises do?

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

1 hour ago, hatrack said:

Carl,

Rolling retreats just quoted me $9,000 for a Fullhouse. That comes to @ $200 per foot.

Ken....

Yes $205 per foot, includes the tax. A friend of mine just had a TPO roof installed on his Newmar. Had a little wood replaced, $9500 when it was all done. I'm finding they are all about the same price. Flex Armor is my choice. That warranty that transfers to the next owner is a big selling point. 

8 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Rolling Retreats does as a matter of policy.  Who's to say if the other franchises do?

Well good point. But that is who will do mine, so that is the only ones I've checked with. Talked to Lisa today.