Converter question

etu

Went out to check my Rv (2016 Keystone Cougar 5er) because of the extra cold weather over the next few days.  Noticed the converter didn’t quietly hum as it normally does when I turned on some 12v lights. The Rv is connected to shore power. Checked the 110v power breaker box and the 20 Amp breaker for the converter was tripped. I reset it but didn’t hear anything. Checked the battery voltage on my auto leveler instrument panel and it was only 12.3 volts while it is normally 13.2. 

Sounds like my converter may have gone out?  What's the first checks I should make to confirm if its good or bad.

Have you got a non-contact AC voltage tester? If yes, is there 120V at the converter?  When you turned the breaker back on, did you first push it hard toward the off position to reset the breaker? You will feel the spring rebound when doing that/

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, etu said:

What's the first checks I should make to confirm if its good or bad.

If you have a multimeter, unhook shore power and measure the voltage at the coach battery, the plug it in and measure it again. If the converter is supplying power that voltage will increase. If it doesn't, then check to be sure that the converter is receiving 120V power.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I did oust the breaker all way of then back on but I don’t recall feeling a click. I’ll check it again tomorrow. Not sure where to check the converter for 110 power but I’ll get the manual on it and see if I can find it. 

Test the plug that the converter plugs into for 120 vac

Check the converter 12vdc fuses on the inverter. They should be where the 12 vdc wires come out of the inverter area.    Does the unit need heat on tonight.

10 hours ago, etu said:

I did oust the breaker all way of then back on but I don’t recall feeling a click.

To reset the circuit breaker you must first move the operator handle to the full open or off position, then close it. 

10 hours ago, etu said:

Not sure where to check the converter for 110 power but I’ll get the manual on it and see if I can find it. 

Do you have power from the 120V outlets in the RV? Does the microwave light up? If not you are not getting 120V power into the RV. Your converter probably has a plug connected to an outlet and if so you can just use a lamp or something to check it. Do you have a volt/ohm meter?

Ok thanks for the leads. Been too busy with several appointments today to do any serious follow up.
But I did find the microwave clock is not lit up and the gfi outlet on the kitchen island and bathroom are not getting power. GFI breaker was not tripped but I did turn it off and back on but that didn’t solve the problem.
However some 110 outlets are getting power. I got to let out the slides to check them all and I’ll do that tomorrow. 
We had a power outage several days ago so  I need to check whether my voltage supply to the 50 amp shore power plug is providing correct power. Something may have occurred when the power was lost or came back on. 
thanks again for the replies. 

1 hour ago, etu said:

However some 110 outlets are getting power.

Since you have a 50A supply there are probably 2 circuits for your outlets, one from each 120V leg of your power supply (L1 & L2). It sounds like one of the two legs is not getting power. The cause of that could be one side or the 50A outlet or it could be that one side or the main power circuit breaker in your RV's distribution panel is not closed. Your 12V converter is powered from only 1 leg and that's probably the one not getting power.

Multi-Meter Test 50 Amps - YouTube

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDLJgxzEfJv_Dnk1qwniu

Edited by Kirk W

I owe y’all an update and apology.
I found the problem. I checked the shore power supply and everything was correct just like Kirk’s picture shows.
The problem was the power cord was not fully engaged at the camper side. Put it in securely and everything is fine.  
sorry to bother y’all but it was not obvious by walk around that that connection was not tight. Plus with half the electricals working that was not my first thought. 
thanks again for all your help.