Texas vehicle registration

Just wondering how to get vehicles inspected in order to register them when we will not be in the state at that time?

I believe I read that Texas is doing away with inspections in 2025. Is that true

Thanks

Edited by markandkim
Spelling

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

It depends on whether it's a first-time registration with title application or just a registration renewal. I just renewed the registration on our fifth wheel last week. The part of the web site that used to ask you to certify that the vehicle was out of state (and that you would get it inspected within X number of days of returning to the state) has changed to a check box to state that the owner has inspected the vehicle according to such-and-such regulations. I just checked that box (I inspect the RV continuously) and went ahead and completed the registration. I should get the sticker next week.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

It's renewals for RV, truck and jeep.

Ill look for that box.

I believe you can do this 90 days prior to exp.

Thanks

Retired USN Engineer

• 3 months later...

Just did my MH and just had to say I was out of state. Requirement of 3 days after in state to get inspection. I do this each year as usually not in state at renewal time. And, yes, been posted that TX is doing away with the physical inspections in 25, but some money-hungry counties will keep the emissions testing.

12 hours ago, durangodon said:

It's a federal mandate for certain areas depending on air quality.

It is actually a state law that sets the rules. There are only 13 states that have no safety or emissions inspections required by law. These states include Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Florida, Washington, and Wyoming. 

Vehicle Inspections by State

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, ya got fooled by the internet.  Since we operate in Indiana and Ohio, and DO NOT need inspections in either state, I checked your link.  It doesn't mention Indiana either way, and Ohio only has inspections in the Cleveland area, so NOT a state inspection.  Ohio used to do inspections, but the inspecting stations were so corrupt they eliminated it.

Yer slipping bud.😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Yer slipping bud.

Emissions testing is only required in 7 specific counties in Ohio: Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage, and Summit. If your vehicle is registered in one of these counties, you must pass an emissions test every two years to register it. Ohio's vehicle test program requires emissions testing for vehicles from four through 25 years old. 

Indiana Bureau of Vehicles says that registered in Lake and Porter counties are required to undergo emissions tests and tampering inspections every two years if they were manufactured after 1975 and have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 9,000 pounds or less. 

Good detective work.  I got confused when the terms, "certain areas" and "state law" were interchanged, so I answered referring to the "state law" side of the equation.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Posted (edited)

Registered my RV and 2 vehicles while out of state today for the first time. Was super easy. thanks to Kirk's advice.

1 more question though.

How come the insurance rates are so freakin high and they only write 6 month policies in Texas?

Edited by markandkim

Retired USN Engineer

10 hours ago, markandkim said:

How come the insurance rates are so freakin high and they only write 6 month policies in Texas?

Texas has liability limits of 30/60/25, which break down to $30,000 per person of bodily injury liability, $60,000 per accident and $25,000 of property damage per accident, higher than most other states.  While Texas auto insurance rates are above the national average, they are not one of the highest 5 states. The rates are influenced by the number and size of claims filed as well as things like extreme weather events and high crime rates. Rural areas tend to have lower rates than cities.  

Car insurance rates by state in 2024

Behind Louisiana at No. 1, Florida, California, Colorado and South Dakota followed as the most expensive states in the country for auto insurance. 

As to the term of policies, some companies will write policies for 1 year while others limit to 6 months. I recently changed from Safeco who had annual policies to Progressive who will only write  a 6 month policy. Some companies offer both and others only one or the other. 

On 4/15/2024 at 7:57 AM, Kirk W said:

It is actually a state law that sets the rules. There are only 13 states that have no safety or emissions inspections required by law. These states include Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Florida, Washington, and Wyoming. 

Vehicle Inspections by State

Semantics.  The Federal government EPA sets the air quality standards and then delegates the responsibility of enforcement to the States.  Texas, for example, was threatened with fines and loss of fed money if they didn't comply.  Before they could build out all the emissions testing stations, some counties were removed from the mandate because of new pollution data. 

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

Texas, for example, was threatened with fines and loss of fed money if they didn't comply. 

Loss of federal highway funds, true but not fines, or at least none were ever reported in the Dallas area. Can you share some sort of documentation about those fines? Highway money is a pretty good hammer and is used by Congress over states quite frequently. 

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Loss of federal highway funds, true but not fines, or at least none were ever reported in the Dallas area. Can you share some sort of documentation about those fines? Highway money is a pretty good hammer and is used by Congress over states quite frequently. 

The EPA can not levy criminal fines but it can take states to court and win civil fines. While the EPA generally lets the states administer air pollution programs to meet the standards it can overrule or take over the programs if it is not satisfied the targets are being met. Personally I would like to see Texas take a page from Colorado where gas engines are only required to take emissions tests in certain counties whereas diesel engines are required to statewide. Maybe it would get rid of all these folks that think giant exhaust pipes blowing massive clouds of black smoke is fun.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg