FL residence and driver's license without owning a vehicle?

Jessfar

If you already have a driver's license from another state, you don't need a vehicle. You just walk in to the DMV, present your current driver's license, take your eye test and walk out with your new FL driver's license. You will need to be physically be present.  Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting a person can propose to be a "Full Time Traveler" but had no license to operate a vehicle. I guess riding a bus to the airport and using taxi services, but how do you travel without something more than a suitcase? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

20 hours ago, lappir said:

I find it interesting a person can propose to be a "Full Time Traveler" but had no license to operate a vehicle. I guess riding a bus to the airport and using taxi services, but how do you travel without something more than a suitcase? 

Rod

I read the blog of a female traveler who packs her favorite kitchenware in her checked luggage. Back when we were traveling with just carry-on luggage, we still packed tableware so we could eat from grocery stores. Where there's a will...

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Just now, sandsys said:

I read the blog of a female traveler who packs her favorite kitchenware in her checked luggage. Back when we were traveling with just carry-on luggage, we still packed tableware so we could eat from grocery stores. Where there's a will...

Linda Sand

When I was traveling via air and motels for work I would stop in a Wendy's, either at the departing airport or as soon as I landed and have a meal.  While I was there I would grab several of their forks, knives and spoons from the condiment counter. One set would live in my carry-on luggage as a reserve set.  Wendy's utensils are high quality plastic individually wrapped and they last for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I did know one person who didn't own a vehicle, he rented one when he wanted to go where a bus or taxi did not; thus it required a driver license.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 11/15/2023 at 4:33 PM, Kirk W said:

Since Jessfar has not been back since posting his question, I doubt that he will be. 

Too bad, would be nice to know the answers to all those questions. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Expat2B said:

Also curious about this.  Currently in FL but about to sell vehicle and head overseas.  Want to keep FL DL using Escapees Bushnell address.

I didn't go back to the OP, but I think the person was trying to obtain a license without a vehicle. If you already have it, you shouldn't have to worry till it's time to renew. You could try going to a DL station to inquire, but don't pick one in Palm Beach or Dade Counties unless you Really have to. Visit Hendry, or another less populated county if you are in central or north Florida. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

16 hours ago, Expat2B said:

Also curious about this.  Currently in FL but about to sell vehicle and head overseas.  Want to keep FL DL using Escapees Bushnell address.

You might check with the DMV to see about early or late renewal. Some states allow 6 months either side of due date.  If you can renew before you leave, that might help. BUT! My Dave renewed his license just before we went full time but I didn't. Several years later we moved back home and I reapplied which was a quick computer test. But, Dave's license, even though expired, had been renewed too recently for him to get a new one so he had to stand in the LONG line to do a renewal.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I can't renew my FL DL yet since you can only do it 18 months prior to expiration.  I spoke with the Bushnell DMV and they were very familiar with Escapees so updating my DL to that address shouldn't be a problem.  My concern was the DMV needing to use my vehicle tag # on my license as they do for RV owners.  I don't want my FL DL reliant on an automobile tag that will soon be returned to FL due to sale of vehicle.

Kirk caused me to go back are re-read the original question. He asked "through Escapees" can I obtain a FL driver license without owning a vehicle?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

15 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Are you sure that license number is on the driver's license?

Not sure.  I'm only going off what I've read from rv owners using St Brendan Isle mail service.  This is where I thought forum members would respond confirming "I don't have an RV, but use a mail service/physical address" and have no problems.  The Escapees FL address may suffice since it is an actual RV park and not a PMB number.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2024 at 1:47 PM, Expat2B said:

I can't renew my FL DL yet since you can only do it 18 months prior to expiration.  I spoke with the Bushnell DMV and they were very familiar with Escapees so updating my DL to that address shouldn't be a problem.  My concern was the DMV needing to use my vehicle tag # on my license as they do for RV owners.  I don't want my FL DL reliant on an automobile tag that will soon be returned to FL due to sale of vehicle.

do we need to travel to florida to renew our florida driver license?

Florida Driver's License Renewal

Online License Renewal Requirements

Online renewal is the most convenient way to renew your driver's license. However, there are some restrictions.

You cannot renew your Florida driver's license online if:

• You last renewed your license online, by mail or over the phone
  • You are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • You are renewing a Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI