Hauling a Dry Van (semi trailer) with RV

adhahn

Hi, I'd like to use my truck (titled and registered as a motorhome) to move my own personal belongings. I can get a good deal on a Dry Van (commercial type trailer) that will hold what I want to move.

Have any of you hauled a commercial type trailer (for private non-commercial use) with your RV? Any particular legal issues involved? 

11 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Yes, we are moving soon. Would be hauling my own household goods.

I would not have any concerns using a typical enclosed bumper pull trailer for this. My question is about the use of a commercial semi-truck trailer. I can get a great deal on a single axle Dry Van.

Have you done this? Any issues with registering or insuring the trailer? Any issues with Police?

Edited by adhahn

We continue to use a single axle 32' dry van for personal use. The trailer is registered/insured in our names, and we use a farm plated truck, owned by the collective family, to move it. The combo definitely appears more commercial than any of the rigs you'd see at the National Rally, but we've never had issues with it. Between our use, and family use, it gets more miles in any given year than our 5th wheel home. It's moved kids to college/university, construction material, livestock feed, livestock, vehicles, motorcycles, automotive scrap, etc. Probably the best trailer we've ever bought, because it also lets us swap usage for time on the collective farm. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Main question, what state?  Here in MO, if a City, State, County cop sees a RV licensed vehicle pulling Anything besides a RV is a Automatic $500 ticket, if press the Issue can be a Tow away.  Know this as a fact as a ex-coworker went thru this.

Truck and Trailer will have to be DOT inspected or are asking for a Spot Inspection regardless the license until they determine what are doing with it.  Your Insurer will know if can or cannot.  I cannot so licensed my own machine Weight Tagged.

Edited by ddm502001

34 minutes ago, ddm502001 said:

Main question, what state?  ..........................

Alaska through Canada to Idaho. 

As most members here are well aware, asking a low level DMV clerk who answers the phone is hit-or-miss for obtaining legitimate info on anything related to converted Class 8 trucks. Figured I'd ask here about personal experiences. 

Edited by adhahn

I have a 48' Kentucky drop frame van that I pull with my Kansas registered Peterbilt 387 RV.    My trailer is plated as a regular trailer in Kansas in my name.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

We are very interested in this thread as we have a private-titled and tagged Dorsey brand fifth wheel drop deck equipment trailer, GVWR of 40,000lbs.  The trailer is forty feet long, dual tandem axles, air brakes and was formerly titled as a commercial trailer in Georgia.  When we bought it about a year ago, we had it titled as non-commercial and tagged the same way.  However, except for getting it home and to a local trailer repair shop a few miles away, the trailer has been in storage/repair on our property ever since.  So, we have EXACTLY the same questions and concerns.  We are trying to retain our Holland fifth wheel plate just so we can pull our Dorsey trailer! 🤔

I have towed it through the west and mid-west from Ohio to the west coast.    I have no marking or lettering on the truck or trailer.     I did my bed so I could use either a Holland hitch or Trailer Saver for the camper.

PXL-20230920-234938487.jpg

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I have a gooseneck trailer that I use to move my backhoe and skidsteer for my personal use.  We are in Colorado and have never been bothered.  The HDT is registered as a recreational truck.  There was a roadside stop and weigh setup along the highway and as I went around a DOT officer stepped to get a look at us.  When he saw the plates he just waved.  I also have a gooseneck dump trailer.  Never been bothered.  A few years ago I hauled 15,000 pounds of hay.  I stopped at the weigh and check station.  They flagged us in.  I went in and told them the hay was for my Granddaughter. That caused immediate  interest.  When I showed a receipt for the hay with my name on it the officer said then this is your hay for your use.  He said it twice.  I agreed and that ended the stop.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

So I don't know about Alaska, but Oregon, and I believe Idaho have "trip permits" They are for this type of situation. A small fee is paid for a few days of leniency. I had to purchase one in Oregon to use my former RV truck to tow a hopper bottom grain trailer home. I bought the permit at DMV for I think $15 back then, and it gave me 3-5 days depending on weekends, of time.

Here's a link to Oregon's permit law.

https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_803.600

Maybe it will give you some ideas.

A lot of this stuff is a grey area up to the trooper on duty. Usually, if you have made an effort to be legal, you can rely on the trooper to be fair and even give you some further instruction for future use.

Depending on your insurance policy language, most of the time the towed unit is covered automatically for liability. But you have to verify that with your own insurer. Comp and collision are a separate item.

I'm a work'n on it.