Squatter problem when full-timing and renting your home

I know many full-timers are enjoying extra income to support their life on the road by renting their homes. Here is an article anbout what can happen when you do rent your home that you might find very interesting . I’m wondering how many people on the road have run into this problem when renting their home, and what they did about it?

https://www.westernjournal.com/handyman-devises-simple-system-legally-get-rid-squatters-home-now/#insticator-commenting

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I've been a landlord for ~28 years and it has worked for us.  While there are things that affect our situation, we self-manage and have had to go to court to remove a couple tenants, but for the most part it has been a good experience.  

It is something that we regard and run as a business so we get out of it what we put in.  Treat people right and it seems it works OK for the most part.  Having been self-employed for over 3 decades, this is where we have chosen to put some of the investment dollars that we had when available.  It is becoming more of a responsibility that affects our travels as we are getting closer to being able to travel more, but the rewards require work, so we look forward to the ROI as we know that SS will not be all we need esp moving forward.

We all can make our own choices!  

Marcel

When our daughter moved to Texas they kept their house in Colorado and rented it out. The hired a property management company that ran background and credit checks on all prospective tenants. The company also made sure that renters kept the house in good condition and abided by the HOA requirements. They kept it for a number of years with no issues and finally sold it when the housing market got hot.

If were to rent a house I would take the same approach, use a professional to manage it for me.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

My parents and grandparent were landlords for years but I never asked them how they made that work. My grandparents converted their house into a duplex and rented the upstairs to groups of young, working women. The also converted their huge garage into a two-bedroom house and rented that. So they always lived on the premises where their rental units were. My Dad simply kept the first house he bought when we moved to a larger house but I didn't know that as a child so I don't know how he managed it. But, I never got the impression either of them had any problems. But, we all know life was different back in the 1950s.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Well. I will 1st plead the fifth if any of this is ever turned back onto me, but here is a true story of getting rid of bad tenants who won't move out after all notices have been served.

It is not hard to find someone who knows someone else who knows a group of bikers.  It might cost you a keg, but just ask the guys (a small group maybe 10 guys) to show up on a Wednesday at the house in question and inform the delinquent tenants that they are the new renters and will be back on Saturday to move in!  House was vacated by Friday night!   Owner was pleased.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

10 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Well. I will 1st plead the fifth if any of this is ever turned back onto me, but here is a true story of getting rid of bad tenants who won't move out after all notices have been served.

It is not hard to find someone who knows someone else who knows a group of bikers.  It might cost you a keg, but just ask the guys (a small group maybe 10 guys) to show up on a Wednesday at the house in question and inform the delinquent tenants that they are the new renters and will be back on Saturday to move in!  House was vacated by Friday night!   Owner was pleased.

Another positive for the biking community . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

On 8/13/2023 at 12:35 PM, gypsydan said:

I know many full-timers are enjoying extra income to support their life on the road by renting their homes. Here is an article anbout what can happen when you do rent your home that you might find very interesting . I’m wondering how many people on the road have run into this problem when renting their home, and what they did about it?

https://www.westernjournal.com/handyman-devises-simple-system-legally-get-rid-squatters-home-now/#insticator-commenting

That article is missing now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

17 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Love it!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van